Second Domain Controller

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 16, 2004 3:43:07 PM

I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:

Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....

"The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
does not appear to require fixing.

I am logged into the server via the domain.

DNS is up and running on the PDC.

Help, please.

TimD

More about : domain controller

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 5:47:33 PM

"TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 7695022-4C7A-4746-A200-BED95BD4B870@microsoft.com...
> I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
> network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:
>
> Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....
>
> "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."
>
> The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
> does not appear to require fixing.
>
> I am logged into the server via the domain.
>
> DNS is up and running on the PDC.

DNS is usually WRONG is such cases -- either on
the Server or Client (including servers as clients) side.

DNS
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2

Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
affects a DC.

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

BTW, in Win2000+ domains there is no "PDC" -- all DCs are
equal, some are more equal than others.

That is, there are 3-5 special ROLES including one called the
PDC Emulator, but no PDC. Just DCs

--
Herb Martin

> Help, please.
>
> TimD

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 5:47:34 PM

"Herb Martin" wrote:

> DNS
> 1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD

Did this one already.

> 2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
> that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)

Can you get more detailed on this one, not sure what you are talking about.

> 3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
>
> Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
> affects a DC.
>
> Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
> servers for that (internal) zone/domain.
>
> BTW, in Win2000+ domains there is no "PDC" -- all DCs are
> equal, some are more equal than others.

I like education.

> That is, there are 3-5 special ROLES including one called the
> PDC Emulator, but no PDC. Just DCs
>
> --
> Herb Martin

TimD
December 16, 2004 6:41:29 PM

> > 2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
> > that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
>
> Can you get more detailed on this one, not sure what you are talking
about.

Then there's a good chance this is (part of) your problem.

On the NIC properties of EVERY machine you really
need to open the IP properties and make sure:

1) You internal DNS server(s) are listed

2) NO external (other) servers are listed there

The DCs MUST register with the internal DNS
so the clients can find them, and the clients must
use the internal DNS servers so they can then
find the DCs.

Some people (incorrectly) try to mix internal and
external servers on the clients and then they get
random results (it works one day, fails another.)

For external resolution you use the FORWARDING
settings of the DNS server on the Server properties
in the DNS MMC.

--
Herb Martin

> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > DNS
> > 1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
>
> Did this one already.
>
> > 2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
> > that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
>
> Can you get more detailed on this one, not sure what you are talking
about.

> > 3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
> >
> > Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
> > affects a DC.
> >
> > Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
> > servers for that (internal) zone/domain.
> >
> > BTW, in Win2000+ domains there is no "PDC" -- all DCs are
> > equal, some are more equal than others.
>
> I like education.
>

> > That is, there are 3-5 special ROLES including one called the
> > PDC Emulator, but no PDC. Just DCs
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
>

> TimD
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 11:50:43 PM

Sounds like DNS. Run netdiag /test:D ns on the DNS server. Are there any
problems?

I assume the wannabe DC is pointing to the internal DNS server?

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 7695022-4C7A-4746-A200-BED95BD4B870@microsoft.com...
I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:

Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....

"The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
does not appear to require fixing.

I am logged into the server via the domain.

DNS is up and running on the PDC.

Help, please.

TimD
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 11:50:44 PM

DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
[WARNING] Cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for the
name

TimD

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Sounds like DNS. Run netdiag /test:D ns on the DNS server. Are there any
> problems?
>
> I assume the wannabe DC is pointing to the internal DNS server?
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 7695022-4C7A-4746-A200-BED95BD4B870@microsoft.com...
> I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
> network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:
>
> Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....
>
> "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."
>
> The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
> does not appear to require fixing.
>
> I am logged into the server via the domain.
>
> DNS is up and running on the PDC.
>
> Help, please.
>
> TimD

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 12:14:20 AM

Thought you said DNS was working ;-)

Ensure that the DC points to itself for DNS, the DHCP **CLIENT** service
*IS* running on the DC, that the zone supports Dynamic Updates and restart
netlogon. Once the appropriate SRV records are registered (run that test
again), you should be good to go...

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Sounds like DNS. Run netdiag /test:D ns on the DNS server. Are there any
> problems?
>
> I assume the wannabe DC is pointing to the internal DNS server?
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 7695022-4C7A-4746-A200-BED95BD4B870@microsoft.com...
> I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
> network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:
>
> Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....
>
> "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."
>
> The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
> does not appear to require fixing.
>
> I am logged into the server via the domain.
>
> DNS is up and running on the PDC.
>
> Help, please.
>
> TimD

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 10:37:05 AM

Thanks Paul,

That fixed it.

TimD

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Thought you said DNS was working ;-)
>
> Ensure that the DC points to itself for DNS, the DHCP **CLIENT** service
> *IS* running on the DC, that the zone supports Dynamic Updates and restart
> netlogon. Once the appropriate SRV records are registered (run that test
> again), you should be good to go...
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
> [WARNING] Cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for the
> name
>

> TimD
>
> "ptwilliams" wrote:
>
> > Sounds like DNS. Run netdiag /test:D ns on the DNS server. Are there any
> > problems?
> >
> > I assume the wannabe DC is pointing to the internal DNS server?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Paul Williams
> >
> > http://www.msresource.net
> > http://forums.msresource.net
> >

> > "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 7695022-4C7A-4746-A200-BED95BD4B870@microsoft.com...
> > I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
> > network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:
> >
> > Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....
> >
> > "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."
> >
> > The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
> > does not appear to require fixing.
> >
> > I am logged into the server via the domain.
> >
> > DNS is up and running on the PDC.
> >
> > Help, please.
> >
> > TimD

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 7:24:40 PM

Tim,

Glad you were able to get this fixed. Just to throw my 2 cents worth in,
it's a good idea to verify your AD installation. The following link with
help you do that:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q298143

!