Second Domain Controller

I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:

Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....

"The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
does not appear to require fixing.

I am logged into the server via the domain.

DNS is up and running on the PDC.

Help, please.

TimD
8 answers Last reply
More about second domain controller

    "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
    > network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:
    >
    > Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....
    >
    > "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."
    >
    > The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
    > does not appear to require fixing.
    >
    > I am logged into the server via the domain.
    >
    > DNS is up and running on the PDC.

    DNS is usually WRONG is such cases -- either on
    the Server or Client (including servers as clients) side.

    DNS
    1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
    2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2

    Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
    affects a DC.

    Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

    BTW, in Win2000+ domains there is no "PDC" -- all DCs are
    equal, some are more equal than others.

    That is, there are 3-5 special ROLES including one called the
    PDC Emulator, but no PDC. Just DCs

    --
    Herb Martin

    "Herb Martin" wrote:

    > DNS
    > 1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD

    Did this one already.

    > 2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    > that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)

    Can you get more detailed on this one, not sure what you are talking about.

    > 3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
    >
    > Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
    > affects a DC.
    >
    > Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    > servers for that (internal) zone/domain.
    >
    > BTW, in Win2000+ domains there is no "PDC" -- all DCs are
    > equal, some are more equal than others.

    I like education.

    > That is, there are 3-5 special ROLES including one called the
    > PDC Emulator, but no PDC. Just DCs
    >
    > --
    > Herb Martin

    TimD

    > > 2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    > > that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    >
    > Can you get more detailed on this one, not sure what you are talking
    about.

    Then there's a good chance this is (part of) your problem.

    On the NIC properties of EVERY machine you really
    need to open the IP properties and make sure:

    1) You internal DNS server(s) are listed

    2) NO external (other) servers are listed there

    The DCs MUST register with the internal DNS
    so the clients can find them, and the clients must
    use the internal DNS servers so they can then
    find the DCs.

    Some people (incorrectly) try to mix internal and
    external servers on the clients and then they get
    random results (it works one day, fails another.)

    For external resolution you use the FORWARDING
    settings of the DNS server on the Server properties
    in the DNS MMC.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > "Herb Martin" wrote:
    >
    > > DNS
    > > 1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
    >
    > Did this one already.
    >
    > > 2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    > > that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    >
    > Can you get more detailed on this one, not sure what you are talking
    about.

    > > 3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
    > >
    > > Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
    > > affects a DC.
    > >
    > > Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    > > servers for that (internal) zone/domain.
    > >
    > > BTW, in Win2000+ domains there is no "PDC" -- all DCs are
    > > equal, some are more equal than others.
    >
    > I like education.
    >

    > > That is, there are 3-5 special ROLES including one called the
    > > PDC Emulator, but no PDC. Just DCs
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin
    >

    > TimD

    Sounds like DNS. Run netdiag /test:dns on the DNS server. Are there any
    problems?

    I assume the wannabe DC is pointing to the internal DNS server?

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net
    http://forums.msresource.net

    "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
    network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:

    Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....

    "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

    The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
    does not appear to require fixing.

    I am logged into the server via the domain.

    DNS is up and running on the PDC.

    Help, please.

    TimD

    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    [WARNING] Cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for the
    name

    TimD

    "ptwilliams" wrote:

    > Sounds like DNS. Run netdiag /test:dns on the DNS server. Are there any
    > problems?
    >
    > I assume the wannabe DC is pointing to the internal DNS server?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net
    >

    > "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
    > network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:
    >
    > Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....
    >
    > "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."
    >
    > The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
    > does not appear to require fixing.
    >
    > I am logged into the server via the domain.
    >
    > DNS is up and running on the PDC.
    >
    > Help, please.
    >
    > TimD

    Thought you said DNS was working ;-)

    Ensure that the DC points to itself for DNS, the DHCP **CLIENT** service
    *IS* running on the DC, that the zone supports Dynamic Updates and restart
    netlogon. Once the appropriate SRV records are registered (run that test
    again), you should be good to go...

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net
    http://forums.msresource.net

    "ptwilliams" wrote:

    > Sounds like DNS. Run netdiag /test:dns on the DNS server. Are there any
    > problems?
    >
    > I assume the wannabe DC is pointing to the internal DNS server?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net
    >

    > "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
    > network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:
    >
    > Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....
    >
    > "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."
    >
    > The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
    > does not appear to require fixing.
    >
    > I am logged into the server via the domain.
    >
    > DNS is up and running on the PDC.
    >
    > Help, please.
    >
    > TimD

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Thanks Paul,

    That fixed it.

    TimD

    "ptwilliams" wrote:

    > Thought you said DNS was working ;-)
    >
    > Ensure that the DC points to itself for DNS, the DHCP **CLIENT** service
    > *IS* running on the DC, that the zone supports Dynamic Updates and restart
    > netlogon. Once the appropriate SRV records are registered (run that test
    > again), you should be good to go...
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net
    >

    > "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    > [WARNING] Cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for the
    > name
    >

    > TimD
    >
    > "ptwilliams" wrote:
    >
    > > Sounds like DNS. Run netdiag /test:dns on the DNS server. Are there any
    > > problems?
    > >
    > > I assume the wannabe DC is pointing to the internal DNS server?
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Paul Williams
    > >
    > > http://www.msresource.net
    > > http://forums.msresource.net
    > >

    > > "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows 2000
    > > network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the error:
    > >
    > > Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....
    > >
    > > "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."
    > >
    > > The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol, which
    > > does not appear to require fixing.
    > >
    > > I am logged into the server via the domain.
    > >
    > > DNS is up and running on the PDC.
    > >
    > > Help, please.
    > >
    > > TimD

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Tim,

    Glad you were able to get this fixed. Just to throw my 2 cents worth in,
    it's a good idea to verify your AD installation. The following link with
    help you do that:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q298143

    > Thanks Paul,
    >
    > That fixed it.
    >
    > TimD
    >
    > "ptwilliams" wrote:
    >
    > > Thought you said DNS was working ;-)
    > >
    > > Ensure that the DC points to itself for DNS, the DHCP **CLIENT** service
    > > *IS* running on the DC, that the zone supports Dynamic Updates and
    restart
    > > netlogon. Once the appropriate SRV records are registered (run that
    test
    > > again), you should be good to go...
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Paul Williams
    > >
    > > http://www.msresource.net
    > > http://forums.msresource.net
    > >

    > > "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    > > [WARNING] Cannot find a primary authoritative DNS server for
    the
    > > name
    > >

    > > TimD
    > >
    > > "ptwilliams" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Sounds like DNS. Run netdiag /test:dns on the DNS server. Are there
    any
    > > > problems?
    > > >
    > > > I assume the wannabe DC is pointing to the internal DNS server?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Paul Williams
    > > >
    > > > http://www.msresource.net
    > > > http://forums.msresource.net
    > > >

    > > > "TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am trying to bring up a second domain controller on an all windows
    2000
    > > > network. I get all the thru the active directory setup and get the
    error:

    > > > Failed finding a suitable domain controller for the doamin ....
    > > >
    > > > "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
    contacted."

    > > > The only reference I can find is to fix the sharing of the sysvol,
    which
    > > > does not appear to require fixing.
    > > >
    > > > I am logged into the server via the domain.
    > > >
    > > > DNS is up and running on the PDC.
    > > >
    > > > Help, please.
    > > >
    > > > TimD

Domain Domain Controller Active Directory Windows