delete and replace DC profile

I have a few issues on a w2k DC I think may be related to profile
corruption ... are there any issues in replacing a DC's profile?

Ive just tested it on my test lan by logging into server with another
admin account, using the profiles section to delete what it could - it
couldnt delete the IE cookies folder ...

rebooted, logged on as other admin and used command prompt to delete the
rest ...

logged back on and profile was re-created and all seems fine.

are there any issues to look out for with regards to it being a DC? I
cant think of any, just never had to do it before.
2 answers Last reply
More about delete replace profile

    I can't say I've ever come across any problems...and I've deleted lots of
    profiles off DCs ;-)

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net
    http://forums.msresource.net

    "jas0n" <no@email.here> wrote in message
    I have a few issues on a w2k DC I think may be related to profile
    corruption ... are there any issues in replacing a DC's profile?

    Ive just tested it on my test lan by logging into server with another
    admin account, using the profiles section to delete what it could - it
    couldnt delete the IE cookies folder ...

    rebooted, logged on as other admin and used command prompt to delete the
    rest ...

    logged back on and profile was re-created and all seems fine.

    are there any issues to look out for with regards to it being a DC? I
    cant think of any, just never had to do it before.

    "jas0n" <no@email.here> wrote in message
    > I have a few issues on a w2k DC I think may be related to profile
    > corruption ... are there any issues in replacing a DC's profile?

    DCs don't have profiles -- in general.

    Are you perhaps referring to Admin user profiles or
    perhaps to the Default DC Group POLICY?

    > Ive just tested it on my test lan by logging into server with another
    > admin account, using the profiles section to delete what it could - it
    > couldnt delete the IE cookies folder ...

    Depends on how you perform the delete (that is
    which tools you use.)

    > rebooted, logged on as other admin and used command prompt to delete the
    > rest ...

    Yes, from the common prompt with the proper tools
    you can generally delete (or just rename so it is ineffective
    but still available in case of trouble) it.

    > logged back on and profile was re-created and all seems fine.

    Ok, but that is an odd issue.

    I have never (?) had to delete a corrupted NT-class profile
    that I can remember and have even moved them from machine
    to machine frequently over all versions since NT 3.5 without
    significant problems (Today it's proably best to use USMT
    but we didn't always have that.)

    > are there any issues to look out for with regards to it being a DC? I
    > cant think of any, just never had to do it before.

    Not really. You can pretty much always delete profiles IF
    you are willing to give up user settings.

    Besides settings the MOST CRITICAL component might
    be CERTIFICATES.

    You could lose the users EFS or Email certs and thus lose
    access to encrypted data.

    --
    Herb Martin

Active Directory Windows