Asus A8N SLI Premium RAID from SI to nVRAID how?

JohnTheLuck

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
Following a serie of reduce and rebuild, followed by two orphan disk in a RAID1 configuration, I decided to transition away from the Silicon Image 3114 controller to the embedded nVRAID controller of the nForce4 SLI chipset. I verified the integrity of both disks, Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA 300GB with Maxtor utility. I updated the chipset driver with version 6.70 from nVidia (including IDE SW driver required for the RAID), then flash the BIOS with 1009.

Now I am about to enable nVRAID on the BIOS, but I didn't find the Windows MediaShield Application. When searching nVidia Web site, I end up downloading drivers for the chipset, but no application. There is no entry in the start menu, neither an icon in the Control Panel. Where do I find it?

My second question is related to the existing data on one of the 2 HD. During the creation of the RAID, I saw in the MediaShield manual the I can leave the data intact, but I could end up with synchronization problems later. Do I really have to wipe both disks (I understand to wipe the second one of course)?

Thanks,
JTL

JohnTheLuck

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
Ok, I found the MediaShield. Nice one nVidia. Here it is. You have to install the drivers with the RAID defines at the BIOS level since it will not install the RAID drivers if the RAID is not enabled in the BIOS. After doing so, the MediaShield application appers in the start menu!!!

I am synchronizing the array. Stay tuned for more.

JTL