AD/Exchange - Wireless

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

Okay, this may not relate much with AD, but here it goes...

I have:

(1) Site 1 with single domain (50 users) (has two windows 2003 DC, Exchange
2003, and Web Servers)

(2) Site 2 (across the street - 50-75yards away) will be set up with 10
users

What is the best way to connect the second site to first site - physical
links wise - DSL, 54G, T1?

My intention is to still use the DC, File Servers, Exchange at site 1 to
server site 2 users - basically no servers at site 2.

"KT" <kt@mail.com> said

> Okay, this may not relate much with AD, but here it goes...
>
> I have:
>
> (1) Site 1 with single domain (50 users) (has two windows 2003 DC,
> Exchange 2003, and Web Servers)
>
> (2) Site 2 (across the street - 50-75yards away) will be set up with 10
> users
>
> What is the best way to connect the second site to first site - physical
> links wise - DSL, 54G, T1?
>
> My intention is to still use the DC, File Servers, Exchange at site 1 to
> server site 2 users - basically no servers at site 2.

I went through a similar project about 6 months ago and we settled on the
Proxim Tsunami QuickBridge 60 product for 50 users at a remote site.
http://www.proxim.com/products/bwa/point/quickbridge/

We're going about 1.5 miles and it's working like a dream. The users at the
remote site get virtually the same performance they were getting locally.

If your budget won't stretch that far you can look at the QuickBridge 20 or
10.

--
Andy.

KT wrote:
> Okay, this may not relate much with AD,

No, but that's OK.

> but here it goes...
>
> I have:
>
> (1) Site 1 with single domain (50 users) (has two windows 2003 DC,
> Exchange 2003, and Web Servers)
>
> (2) Site 2 (across the street - 50-75yards away) will be set up with
> 10 users
>
> What is the best way to connect the second site to first site -
> physical links wise - DSL, 54G, T1?

What can you afford? If you can afford a leased line between the offices,
that would be the best option. Barring that, use VPN between two compatible
router/firewall devices such as Sonicwall, etc - this works well.

> My intention is to still use the DC, File Servers, Exchange at site 1
> to server site 2 users - basically no servers at site 2.

I suggest that the users on the other side be set up with Outlook 2003 and
cached mode to 'smoothe out the bumps' if the connection gets flaky at all.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

If it's your parking lot or an area you 'control' what's under it, you would
be able to do what we did in my office---we ran fiber optic cable from one
building to the other, and have a fiber module in a switch on both sides.

Aside from that, you would need to go dsl/t1/cable, and best bet would be to
make a VPN from one building to the other using hardware that'll
automagically route traffic for you. All depends on the budget, but one of
my colleagues uses Netgear VPN 'boxes' between his main office in NYC and
remote offices in LA, Miami, Orlando, etc. with a T1 coming into NYC and DSL
lines at remote offices... most of the remote offices are average 10 users,
so no major bandwidth usage there.

Good luck

Ken

"KT" <kt@mail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, this may not relate much with AD, but here it goes...
>
> I have:
>
> (1) Site 1 with single domain (50 users) (has two windows 2003 DC,
> Exchange 2003, and Web Servers)
>
> (2) Site 2 (across the street - 50-75yards away) will be set up with 10
> users
>
> What is the best way to connect the second site to first site - physical
> links wise - DSL, 54G, T1?
>
> My intention is to still use the DC, File Servers, Exchange at site 1 to
> server site 2 users - basically no servers at site 2.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

I'd suggest getting two Cisco 1300 series outdoor Access points or one of
their outdoor bridges. Then use the 5.2db yagi antennae to do the throw
across. The yagis will keep the beam narrow and will help with the
attenuation problems you might run into.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA