Hardware problem, help me!!

poup23

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Hi,

Sorry, it is long, but I want to say everything about the problem, to clearly explain it and for you to have any details.

I upgraded my system from NF3 MB and AGP video card to NF4 and PCIE. But I installed the system and was going on software installation when I began to get problem. When my computer asked me to reboot after a software or driver installation (whenever which I install, the same problem occured, several times) my system didn't want to reboot. It show me what CPU I have and the amount of memory I have, but it doesn't load the hard disk. After 1 or 2 minutes without anything, I pushed the reset button, but it became worst, in addition the that problem, my screen was full of lines and it was difficult to read waht it was written. So I reseted again, but it was worst again. But sometimes it decided to boot, but the display was really bad, plenty of pink, white or green lines. When it finally boot and entered windows, I was in 640X480 and 256 colors plus the lines everywhere, and I wasn't able to change the resolution or anything. I first tought it was a bad driver, but I completely formatted the system again and reinstalled it again. But the same thing occured again.

My specs are:

MSI K8N-SLI-FI (brand new)
ATI AIW X1800XL (about 6 months old, I bought it used)
Antec Neo HE 500W (brand new)
2 x Kingston KVR DDR 400 1 GB Kit (from my old system, 1 1/2 year old)
Seagate SATA barracuda 7200.8 160GB (from my old system too)
Antec Sonata case, 120mm case fan in the back
Thermaltake Big Typhoon

When I installed my components, I had to remove the optional fan in the front of my case because the new video card was too long. But my system was running cool, my CPU never went over 36°C and my systm never over 37°C. But I remarked that if, after the problems occured, I let my system off for an hour or more, I start it and it is fine. So yesterday I ran almost 5-6 hours with the case open with my optional fan pluged aside the computer, pointing toward my hard disk and MB, without having any problem. But, because this PSU doesn't have fan only plugs, my fans ran all day on 12V instead of 5V, so at the end I had to run only one at a time to let the other cool down. That's when to problem occured again.

The only problem is, how can I get overheating problem when my system is running at 37°C max?? Or is it something else like the PSU, or MB??

Thanks

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
sounds like a heating problem on the video card. Make sure the sink on the card is on properly, and that the Vid Card is seated properly too. With everything stated, i'm leaning towards the videocard for 2 reasons: A. Bought used, B. had to remove an optional fan for installation.

You should never have to remove the fan for an install if its a decent case.