halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
hi i have an lcd display...and a bug has somehow got inside and is crawling round my display (he didnt quite make it over the windows xp hills, he died near the top)
However now its damn annoying because its near the centre of my screen and its a little black dot.
How do i get rid of it?

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
im going to guess its a dead pixel not a bug... or a joke, either way I WOULD, u dont have to, push gently on the dot and see if it fixes, fixed my dead pixel at least... if its really a bug, i duno? shake it around?

S7A88Y

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
uh, wow, do you have a warranty, you'll need pictures, try putting more bugs in to even it out?

Seriously, you have to take apart your LCD, hes probably stuck between the actual display and the back light so he should be easy to get, then duck tape you LCD shut so no more bugs can get it.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Just put a black tape over it so you don't see it everytime you use your pc. Don't risk fixing it yourself, it might void the warranty when you open that monitor. Find like a pc repair shop or someone who knows how to crack open a monitor.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Google 'replace LCD panel'. There is a tutorial on how to open a monitor. It's not difficult when you see the steps.

halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
lol just for reference it is a dead bug and not a dead pixel because it was crawling around.
its a newish monitor i had it around september time.
however by sending it back to the company surely its gonna cost me a large fee and a large amount of time.

G

Try to suck it out with a vacuum cleaner? But be careful though not get those sweet little crystals...

Ok I admit it; I had to laugh, too. :)

phyglenaut

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/12/01/build_your_own_xga_projector_ii/page3.html

here is a link to a do-it-yourself tom's article about turning an lcd into a projector. They detail with pictures how to take apart your lcd carefully. Of course it'll void your warranty but, if you don't want to take the time for someone else to do it, like the manufacturer, and you're brave enough, it might be the way to go.

Other options:

Name the bug, adopt him as your pet and accept him as a permanent part of your display. Say Hi to him once in a while. i.e. "Hey 'Jerry', how's it going today? Want to play some Half Life with me?"

weasel14

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
i have one in my screen now, its annoying crawling around, but it is very small, its about the size of a nit. ive seen them in a monitor before when i went to a lan. i had to use a moniter and it had about 6 little black lines in it, i asked what they were and they said they were dead little insects that were inside the screen that they crushed by poking the screen. i didnt beleive them. now i do.

found a picture of one.

http://kenkinder.com/laptop_bugs/img_7640.jpg