Sign in with
Your question

Deciding which CPU Cooler to get... Recommendations?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 30, 2006 2:32:41 PM

Right so i am starting to get into overclocking now and i think ive gone as far as i can go with my AMD stock heatsink/fan so i need to go for a good CPU cooler, which i need your advice on. I have a decent amount of options on the site im buying off but (price-wise) ive narrowed it down to two models, either the Thermaltake Blue Orb http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314208 or the Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311464 So which one do you think i should get? There are more expensive Zalman models so if you think i benifit much more from a better qualtity cooler i guess i wont mind spending extra. Also heres the product page so you can see all my options, http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10471 thanks.
June 30, 2006 2:47:34 PM

Thermaltake Big Typhoon is a pretty nice cooler.
June 30, 2006 3:01:07 PM

Im sure it is but i dont have that option. The only irish hardware site available to me is this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10471 If you could recommend any good ones from there?
Related resources
a c 478 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2006 3:12:48 PM

Quote:
Im sure it is but i dont have that option. The only irish hardware site available to me is this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10471 If you could recommend any good ones from there?

I assume if you order something from England the shipping charges will kill you?
June 30, 2006 3:14:00 PM

The blue orb is pretty but not that great for overclocking and its a bit noisey. The zalman CNPS7700-Cu is nice, its got a bigger fan than the 7000 so it runs slower and quieter whilst delivering the same cooling capabilities. Only a couple of pounds more than the 7000 too.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/7700-754-939-940...

...is a list of compatible motherboards.
June 30, 2006 3:26:20 PM

Yeah i forgot to mention that quiet operation is a must (my system is suprisingly loud as it is..). Its good that the 7700 you recommended is quiet although the description on the site says that the 7700 is 20dba and the 7000B is 18dba which is wierd, but i take it that these discriptions are not accurate. Do you have the Zalman 7700 by the way? If so what mobo are you using it on?
a c 136 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2006 3:53:48 PM

I just installed a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu CPU cooler last weekend, and used Arctic Silver-5 rather than the stuff that came with it. I've got it on the FanMate speed controller, but there is so little difference in sound that I run it on high all the time; I may remove the FanMate.
My CPU will hit 50c while playing Guild Wars for hours, but drops back down to 39c-40c idle very quickly. So far I'm pleased. You will need to remove your mobo to install the backplate; even if there already is one, chances are the fasteners aren't at the right height for your new HSF.
June 30, 2006 4:07:38 PM

don't forget thermalright, they make some pretty sweet HSF.
June 30, 2006 4:25:03 PM

I installed the Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu CPU cooler about 2 weeks ago on my AMD 3400+. It was running upwards of 69c with the standard AMD coller and the crap the supply as thermal paste. It now runs at a max of 49c when running 100%. The Zalman is just barely audible at full speed.

I had a crystal orb GPU cooler on my Asus V9999. It was quite loud. Replaced it with the Zalman VF 900 cu. It is inaudible, at least to me, even at full speed.

The two coolers combined were so quiet I had to replace my power supply because it was so noisy.

If you want a quite solution the Zalmans will do a great job.
June 30, 2006 4:45:41 PM

i agrie the blue orb looks sweet but i would go with the zalman model, btw there is a led zalman as well vercion of the fan, i would go for that one, to be honest i hate the lights in a fan, but the LED version actualy ways a bit less than the non led one, the led fan blades are made out of a beter material (in my opinion) than the black non led one (and if u hate the lights u can always mode them out, i think the difference in weight is relatively minimal i thini it was 10 or 20 grams of a difference (its not much) but still, i always think the less weight something atached to the obo has the beter, and also the zalman has copper blades(parts of it) and coper has a beter heat transfer rate than aluminium, which i think the blue orb is made out of.
...hope it helped a bit...( i think actually i was planing to buy that zalman myselfe in the next build)
btw in regards to noise i think zalman has info on the decibels on their main heatsink's site, and there were a fiew reviews which showed zalmans superiority to blue orb(which just looks prity :wink: )
June 30, 2006 4:48:02 PM

This is all good to know since I'm looking to replace the stock cooler on my X2 3800+. :D 

-mcg
June 30, 2006 5:34:03 PM

Hmm.. still trying to come to a decision. All good info though. Ive definately decided i will be getting a Zalman cooler anyway, but its still between the cheaper 7000B-Cu and the more high range 7700-Cu version. I mean i would like to go for the 7000 cause its a good price and it has a blue LED but im concerned it wont cool as well as the 7700... What do you guys think? Also ive just realised it doesnt matter to much about sound just as long as the cooler is quieter than my AMD stock fan.
June 30, 2006 5:36:33 PM

Arctic Freezer Pro 64
:D 

or the Zalman CNPS9500
June 30, 2006 5:51:57 PM

I cant get either of them, not available on the site. Dam! I hate missing out on all the popular, top of the line hardware cause i live in Ireland! lol :)  I have got a few good options though, take a look at the links in my first post. I have to chose out of what is there.
June 30, 2006 7:05:24 PM

Actually the difference between their cooling capabilities isn't that big, the main difference is more the noise, Tom's did a good comparison of the two here... http://tomshardware.co.uk/2004/12/13/zalman_cnps7700/

Does anyone know if ebuyer or scan charge the earth to post to ireland? cos i don't really rate some of the other coolers i'm afriad.

www.overclockers.co.uk ship to ireland for around £12 if that's any help
July 1, 2006 6:37:47 AM

Dude, get the Zalman 7000B AlCU instead. It only performs by 1-2 degrees worse but 1)it is alot lighter 2)cheaper by a few bucks 3) just as quiet.
July 1, 2006 2:18:44 PM

Alright guys im gonna go for the Zalman 7000B, ill be set to OC to 2.6 maybe 2.8Ghz soon :)  Just one small change of topic if you dont mind cause this is a bit concerning and i dont want to start a new thread.... I just recently noticed on CPU-Z that my CPU voltage is at 1.488v!? This is worrying cause from doing some research i noticed that the normal stock vcore/voltage for the Athlon 3700+ is 1.35v :? I checked in the BIOS just to be sure and sure enough it read Vcore - 1.48! I have never touched the voltage settings at all so this just doesnt seem right to me. The last and only OC i did was to 2.4Ghz on my CPU but like i said i did not need to and did not raise the voltage.... Now i may be wrong about all this and i really hope so. So is this normal??
July 1, 2006 2:45:23 PM

Quote:
Dude, get the Zalman 7000B AlCU instead. It only performs by 1-2 degrees worse but 1)it is alot lighter 2)cheaper by a few bucks 3) just as quiet.

never. if u can get all copper for few bucks more do so.

i have the Zalman 7000-Cu and CU-LED versions. Both are great things. U cant go wrong with the 7000 keeps my P4 at 35*C
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 3:36:27 PM

Quote:

Either the AKASA EVO120 or the Zalman FATAL1TY would be an excellent 1st choice. A very good second choice would be the Zalman CNPS7700-AICu or the Thermaltake Golden Orb II.

Personally, I use all Zalman on my procs and gpus and they work great for me. Regardless, if you pick up anyone of these, they will perform admirably.

Good luck!
July 1, 2006 3:48:32 PM

Quote:
I cant get either of them, not available on the site. Dam! I hate missing out on all the popular, top of the line hardware cause i live in Ireland! lol :)  I have got a few good options though, take a look at the links in my first post. I have to chose out of what is there.

Have you tried starting at Arctic's and Zalman's web sites, then looking for suppliers that will ship to you? I've been piddling with a bunch of HSFs lately and think the performance per dollar champ is the Arctic Freezer. I'm seeing slightly better performance from the 9500 than the arctic. I picked up two of the Scythes and although many people here love them, I'm not seeing them cool as well as the Arctic or the Zalman. Another advantage of the Arctic is that it's relatively light and reasonably short, so it puts way less stress on the mobo compared to something like the Scythe or the TT Big Typhoon.
July 1, 2006 3:55:48 PM

Right guys i really appreciate your advice on the CPU cooler but right now i think i have a serious voltage problem and if someone could help me out with it or let me know if it is serious or not. thanks, and ive put the problem in detail in my last post.
July 1, 2006 5:31:07 PM

I think its your asus mobo.
I have the same problem with my p4 northy, and i've had an 865 and 915 chipset. (both asus)
Same thing on both... overvolts my cpu to 1.6 volts even if i change the voltage to 1.4.

It's been like that for 4 years now, so i guess its not a big deal.

I would like to be able to actually control the voltage... which is why im not getting another asus mobo in the future.
July 3, 2006 7:05:44 PM

I'm sitting here prodding a Scythe Mine on an AM2 socket which is obstinately refusing to budge. I wouldn't worry about the weight. Honestly they're pretty solidly planted.
July 13, 2006 8:38:21 PM

not sure if anyone's asked this, but do you have to use the "Fan Mate 2" that comes with the CNPS7700?
to be honest, i would rather have the BIOS or some kind of software to control fan speed.
!