no more cheap VoIP?

Dvorak: The Coming Death of Cheap VoIP
"VoIP is a great boon for anyone who wants affordable local and
long-distance calling, and the future is bright and . . . Wait. We hear
some grumbling in the distance. It's columnist John C. Dvorak telling us
to wake up to the fact that the big telcos will soon control VoIP, so it
will end up costing far more than it does now. Sound crazy? It won't
after you read Dvorak's latest column."

I hope not! - RM

p.s. the article covers Canada too.
5 answers Last reply
More about cheap voip

    Rick Merrill <jaynehm@comcast.net> wrote:
    >Dvorak: The Coming Death of Cheap VoIP
    >http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1812887,00.asp

    Guy sounds like a nutball.

    Dvorak says "Anyone who attempts to put a server on a home DSL line soon
    finds the phone companies pinging it to determine the use, and then
    disconnecting it or warning the customer."

    We've had servers on home DSL lines since the day they were invented. Have
    Dvorak's disconnects happened yet? In the real world, I see the opposite.
    See, for example, www.macnewsworld.com/story/31236.html, where SBC is
    =defending= their customers who run file-sharing servers.

    I think port-blocking is an urban myth.

    Many ISPs did block port 80 for a while in 2002, because of the "Code Red"
    virus. They got roasted for it and, as far as I can tell, they stopped. There
    are =very= few current confirmed reports of port-blocking to be found on the
    net.

    Mostly what I see is just people telling the same stories to each other over
    and over again, about how "many ISPs" or "most cable companies" are blocking
    ports. Then other people repeat the story.

    As to VoIP specifically --

    A web search reveals that one ISP once tried to block Vonage. See
    www.cybertelecom.org/voip/blocking.htm. The ISP in question was
    instantaneously shot down by the feds -- fined and ordered never to do it
    again.

    FCC press release at
    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-257175A1.pdf

    Port-blocking is an urban myth.

    VoIP blocking is not something I would lose sleep over.

    And Dvorak's a crankball.

    yours,
    Garry

    Garry W <YahooMail@extremelyserious.org> wrote:
    > I think port-blocking is an urban myth.
    >
    > Many ISPs did block port 80 for a while in 2002, because of the "Code Red"
    > virus. They got roasted for it and, as far as I can tell, they stopped. There
    > are =very= few current confirmed reports of port-blocking to be found on the
    > net.

    Verizon (at in least former Bell Atlantic territory) definitely blocks port
    80 on their DSL and has for years. But I agree with your general point that
    ISPs can't be bothered to micromanage what their customers are up to.

    miguel

    mnc@admin.u.nu (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
    >Garry W <YahooMail@extremelyserious.org> wrote:
    >> I think port-blocking is an urban myth.
    >>
    >> Many ISPs did block port 80 for a while in 2002, because of the "Code Red"
    >> virus. They got roasted for it and, as far as I can tell, they stopped. There
    >> are =very= few current confirmed reports of port-blocking to be found on the
    >> net.
    >
    >Verizon (at in least former Bell Atlantic territory) definitely blocks port
    >80 on their DSL and has for years.

    Looking in the last year and a half of Google/news messages, I'm unable to
    find anyone who's actually tried port 80 on Verizon and found it blocked in
    that time. While I did see several reports from people who actually tried it
    and found it not to be blocked in their neighborhoods.

    The only actually-tried-it reports of Verizon blocking that I can find, in a
    brief search, all date from 2002.

    Have you given Verizon/port-80 a try lately? I'd be interested in the result.
    Maybe I'm shooting my mouth off.

    You'll find much more discussion on www.dslreports.com than in usenet.

    > While I did see several reports from people who actually tried it and
    > found it not to be blocked in their neighborhoods.

    They were probably not in Bell Atlantic territory, then.

    > Have you given Verizon/port-80 a try lately? I'd be interested in the result.

    I can't try directly, because I moved away from DC (where I was a Verizon
    customer) in mid-2004. But the day I left it was still blocked on my DSL
    service.

    However, the reports at dslreports.com continue. Here's one from a week ago:

    miguel
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    In article <xqydnVFZo6gh1wrfRVn-tw@comcast.com>, jaynehm@comcast.net
    says...
    > Dvorak: The Coming Death of Cheap VoIP
    > "VoIP is a great boon for anyone who wants affordable local and
    > long-distance calling, and the future is bright and . . . Wait. We hear
    > some grumbling in the distance. It's columnist John C. Dvorak telling us
    > to wake up to the fact that the big telcos will soon control VoIP, so it
    > will end up costing far more than it does now. Sound crazy? It won't
    > after you read Dvorak's latest column."

    I like John and I respect his opinions, usually. But let us not forget,
    this is the same guy that predicted "The Great Internet Collapse" in
    2001. He gets it wrong, from time to time. Like this one.

    He is clearly laboring under some incorrect assumptions. For example, he
    states that DSL providers prohibit the installation of servers on the
    DSL connection. He then notes that this same draconian stance will be
    applied to VOIP users. In fact, many DSL providers don't care if run
    servers on your connection, and at least one, Speakeasy, actively
    promotes this use.

    The telcos are whistling in the dark as they watch the legacy PSTN get
    relegated to insignificance. It may take years, but voice communication
    is moving to IP networks and the means for operating a packet-switched
    voice network is within reach of anyone with a DSL connection and a copy
    of Asterisk. If all of my friends/customers/whatevers can reach me via
    FWD, or my own IP phone network, what do I need QWest for?

vpn IP VoIP Networking