Trouble w/ Intel 3.73GHz Pentium Extreme Dual Core 965 CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Systems
Last response: in CPUs
July 1, 2006 5:06:44 PM

Hello All!

I am looking for any help I can get with a very perplexing problem. My friend and I just got some of the new Pentium Extreme 965 Dual Core 3.73GHz 2x2MB L2 Cache cpu's. We planned on using these for upgrades on existing systems that were running P4 Pentium Extreme 3.73GHz 2MB L2 cache Single Core CPU's. Our systems are based on the exact same Intel D955XBKXLR motherboard.

After installing the new CPU's, the systems boot and enter Windows. After a few moments, both systems shut down unexpectedly. Power must be removed from the systems to get them to restart. They will never run for more than a few minutes before shutting down again. Here are the details of the system and steps we took to troubleshoot:

Product: Intel(R) Desktop Board D955XBKXLR
OS: Windows* XP Professional SP2 and all updates loaded
Bios_version: Latest BIOS 04/27/2006
Motherboard_assembly (AA_Number): C96732-406
Memory_Solution : 2 - 1GB Micron Technologies MT16HTF12864AY-667B3
Video_manufacturer: XFX
Video_model: NVidia 7900GT Series PCI-e
Sound_manufacturer: On-Board Audio
Sound_model: On Intel D955XBKXLR board
Virus: Norton Anti-Virus*
Hard_Drive_MFR: WD SATA-2 160GB (2)
Power_Supply: Thermaltake W0101RU 550W

Steps taken to resolve issue:

Checked all connections / Verified fans were running / made sure cpu fan was attached correctly / checked for excessive heat / Verified power supply output with tester / verified memory worked in other systems / scanned for viruses and spyware / ran scan disk / disabled options in BIOS (HT'ing, power management, ect.) / verified cpu installed correctly / removed modem card / switched video cards / detached all peripherals except HD / reflashed BIOS / prayer

The systems worked perfectly with old CPU. They still work perfectly after re-installing new cpu. I have a hard time believing both of our new CPU's are defective or faulty. Intel's website clearly states these cpu's should work in this motherboard revision. Memory is on approved or 3rd party tested list. Power supply should have enough juice to power system with 2 video cards (SLI), but I only have 1 so far...

I thought I would throw this out to all you smart people in forum land. We are pretty frustrated over here. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sarcsurfer

More about : trouble intel 73ghz pentium extreme dual core 965 cpu

July 1, 2006 5:21:18 PM

Thanks for the response...

We thought it might be the same thing. I did monitor the CPU temperature and it never climbs really high... The old CPU (SC) runs hotter than the new CPU (DC). Interesting part of this mystery is system does not appear to shut off while in the BIOS set-up screens. I need to get more thermal compound before I can test again... I am out after switching CPU's several times. Could Windows shut down the system like this due to a fatal error of some type?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 5:45:15 PM

Quote:
Hello All!

I am looking for any help I can get with a very perplexing problem. My friend and I just got some of the new Pentium Extreme 965 Dual Core 3.73GHz 2x2MB L2 Cache cpu's. We planned on using these for upgrades on existing systems that were running P4 Pentium Extreme 3.73GHz 2MB L2 cache Single Core CPU's. Our systems are based on the exact same Intel D955XBKXLR motherboard.

After installing the new CPU's, the systems boot and enter Windows. After a few moments, both systems shut down unexpectedly. Power must be removed from the systems to get them to restart. They will never run for more than a few minutes before shutting down again. Here are the details of the system and steps we took to troubleshoot:

Checked all connections / Verified fans were running / made sure cpu fan was attached correctly / checked for excessive heat / Verified power supply output with tester / verified memory worked in other systems / scanned for viruses and spyware / ran scan disk / disabled options in BIOS (HT'ing, power management, ect.) / verified cpu installed correctly / removed modem card / switched video cards / detached all peripherals except HD / reflashed BIOS / prayer

The systems worked perfectly with old CPU. They still work perfectly after re-installing new cpu. I have a hard time believing both of our new CPU's are defective or faulty. Intel's website clearly states these cpu's should work in this motherboard revision. Memory is on approved or 3rd party tested list. Power supply should have enough juice to power system with 2 video cards (SLI), but I only have 1 so far...

I thought I would throw this out to all you smart people in forum land. We are pretty frustrated over here. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sarcsurfer

You MB may not support Pentium D processors? I would double check.
July 1, 2006 5:48:17 PM

According to the Intel support website and tech support, this is not an issue. My revision of the MB should support this CPU. I have not tried it in a new MB yet. Kind of an expensive test atthis point.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 5:53:25 PM

Quote:
According to the Intel support website and tech support, this is not an issue. My revision of the MB should support this CPU. I have not tried it in a new MB yet. Kind of an expensive test atthis point.

Ok, I see at the top of the page where Pentium D 900 series is supported. You flashed the BIOS? Perhaps the board needs a BIOS update to support the Pentium D. Strange because you left everything the same and changed the processor. Weird it doesn't boot up? Almost like a compatibility issue. Have you confronted the MB mfg.?

Actually, your MB specs doe not state they support the "extreme" Pentium D Series SPECIFICALLY. Does it?
July 1, 2006 5:57:55 PM

I reflashed the BIOS twice... I have the latest update from the Intel support website. I have been emailing back and forth with Intel (they make the board) and the have been no help right now... Still getting the first level tech support desk... I have been asking to elevate, but they want to verify everything first before moving up... These guys always think it is operator error or incompatible components. We'll see...

I appreciate your efforts!
sarc
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 6:00:49 PM

Quote:
Here is the link to the support site:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bk/bk_proc.htm

My board does have the AA revision C96732-406 which should support the 965 CPU.

This is contradicting:

Intel® Desktop Board D955XBK
Supported Processors

The Intel® Desktop Board D955XBK supports a single Intel® processor in an LGA775 socket. See the table below for a complete list of supported processors.

Warning: Processors not specifically listed by type and rated speed may have requirements that are not supported by the desktop board's design. Use of unsupported processors may result in improper operation, damage to the desktop board or processor, or reduced product life.

States your board supports a single core processor and doesn't even mention dual core processors.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 6:03:14 PM

Quote:
I reflashed the BIOS twice... I have the latest update from the Intel support website. I have been emailing back and forth with Intel (they make the board) and the have been no help right now... Still getting the first level tech support desk... I have been asking to elevate, but they want to verify everything first before moving up... These guys always think it is operator error or incompatible components. We'll see...

I appreciate your efforts!
sarc

You are well on your way to solving the problem. I would say in the end, Intel will say, "whoops!, we forgot to program your board to run EXTREME dual core processors!"
July 1, 2006 6:05:48 PM

I had similar problem with a Gateway system. I turned out to be the mobo. Replacing it fixed the problem.
July 1, 2006 6:05:53 PM

Contradicting info from a manufacturer of computer products... no way! They always get it right!!! LOL!!! I think the documentation issue is this board came out before dual core cpu's were released... The had to make minor changes to boards to support dual core after they came out. That's why only certain revision boards will support the dc cpu's. Intel has re-assured me that my board is not the issue... We'll see...
July 1, 2006 6:12:04 PM

If I recall correctly, Intel recommends a 600W PSU for the 965 EE. Not required but recommended, but maybe you should look into that. Also did you reformat the HD? That's most likely not the issue but I see you didn't state it on your steps taken list...
July 1, 2006 6:17:57 PM

Where did you see the PS requirements for 965EE? I will check website again. No, I haven't reformated hd yet. Trying to avoid that until I get some more facts and responses from Intel, Microsoft and all of you. A couple other forum responses have indicated Windows may not like a CPU change... I'm waiting for Bill Gates to call me back now! LOL! 8<)
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 6:18:33 PM

Yes it is. No it's not. LMAO!
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 6:29:54 PM

>>I bought an Antec 550 watt supply once, similar behavior, after about 10 mintues it would shut down completely -- then I would need to physically unplug it from the back, turn off the I/O switch, plug it back in and turn it back on.<<

His thermaltake has only 14/15 amp on 12v dual rails. I have an Antec 550w 2.0 SLI PSU with 19/19amp dual 12v and it was overheating running my AMD 4800 X2. I put in a 680w 22/24v dual 12 volt rail and it solved the problem. Smooth sailing with the larger PSU. Cool.
July 1, 2006 6:30:51 PM

When the system was rebooted, I would get a menu saying the system or windows (can't remember exactly) shut down unexpectedly. I was given a list of options like boot with last known working configuration, boot normally, safe mode, etc...

I know power supplies and memory are often the two biggest issues. I tested power supply with an atx tester and it reported it was fine. It is also working right now with the old cpu without any issues. I don't think it is the ps, but I wont rule it out yet either...

If I keep buying more spare parts to test this system, I will have to end up building another system then... I'm already in the dog house for this one!!! Doh!!! 8<)
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 6:35:20 PM

What is so confusing is you put in the single core processor and everything is fine? Think that dual core extreme is drawing more power and overloading your PSU?
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 6:51:22 PM

Quote:
I found this info on the Intel website...

Single Core CPU Specifications
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL7...

Dual Core CPU Specifications
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9...

Still can't find anything on actual power draw for either CPU. The dual core actually seems to run cooler than the single core.

Your system starts up and then at windows load you get a blue screen.

Seems to me one of your hardware components has failed or at least is not functioning properly. I have found this to often be the case.

Can you get into the BIOS and let the sysem run there? Or does it shut down there too after a while?
July 1, 2006 6:56:07 PM

No, I do not get a blue screen at all... The system just shuts down. No warning, no error... Just poof! I have to pull the power plug, re-instal and power back on... When widows restarts, I get a start-up option screen saying the system or windows (can't remember exactly) shut down unexpectedly. I was given a list of options like boot with last known working configuration, boot normally, safe mode, etc...

The system seems to run fine in BIOS only... At least I do not remember it shutting down in BIOS. I need to get more themal paste before trying this again. It seems it would only happen after windows started loadingor had even loaded... There was not a common point in the boot process where it crashed...
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 6:57:31 PM

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but if you can get into the BIOS and have your stystem run there without crashing this is what I would do and I believe someone already suggested it. Set the BIOS to boot from the CD ROM. Stick the Windows CD in and partition and load windows OS. Problem is if it doesn't work you loose you current OS on that HD. If you have a spare old HD siting around you can try and install Windows on that and save the HD you have working with you single core processor.
July 1, 2006 7:05:55 PM

Most posts on this site and others are pointing towards windows issues or power supply issues... I have other drives laying around, so I will try this first. Now If I can just find some thermal paste... Think toothpaste might work instead? LOL!!! JK!!! I hate spending $20 on the stuff at Best Buy, if they even have it.
July 1, 2006 7:16:32 PM

Quote:
Most posts on this site and others are pointing towards windows issues or power supply issues... I have other drives laying around, so I will try this first. Now If I can just find some thermal paste... Think toothpaste might work instead? LOL!!! JK!!! I hate spending $20 on the stuff at Best Buy, if they even have it.

Thermal paste should be $7 tops. Unless you buy the liquid metal and thats only $14.
July 1, 2006 7:31:50 PM

Damn you rich people. I don't even have $7.
July 1, 2006 7:36:57 PM

Quote:
:lol:  I got 3.50 so your twice as rich as me.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 7:52:06 PM

Quote:

You can always go to the recycled Artic Silver section. LOL!
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 8:01:36 PM

Quote:

The last time I bought Artic Silver I stuck it in the cart when my wife went to Fry's.
July 1, 2006 8:03:40 PM

Quote:
No, I said I don't have $7. In fact, you have $3.50 more than me. :cry: 
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2006 8:14:01 PM

Quote:
No, I said I don't have $7. In fact, you have $3.50 more than me. :cry: 

Save your money for one of these babies. About one minute in it gets really interesting.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ry6w3mRm-FM&search=GM%20futu...
July 1, 2006 8:22:27 PM

Quote:
No, I said I don't have $7. In fact, you have $3.50 more than me. :cry:  I just spent that 3.50 for tacos so i only got 42 cents now
July 2, 2006 3:21:09 AM

Good stuff here Paul! I apprecute the time and effort... I thought there was something funky about the way the stock Intel boxed fan mounted... I had to press really hard to get the fan heatsink to lock in place. I was actually using several of the tim pads initially and ran out of them.

I will try the other recommendations as well and see if something pops up in the event viewer.
July 2, 2006 6:44:01 AM

Quote:
No, I do not get a blue screen at all... The system just shuts down. No warning, no error... Just poof! I have to pull the power plug, re-instal and power back on... When widows restarts, I get a start-up option screen saying the system or windows (can't remember exactly) shut down unexpectedly. I was given a list of options like boot with last known working configuration, boot normally, safe mode, etc...

The system seems to run fine in BIOS only... At least I do not remember it shutting down in BIOS. I need to get more themal paste before trying this again. It seems it would only happen after windows started loadingor had even loaded... There was not a common point in the boot process where it crashed...

Hi Sarcsufer;

This is what I would do. Boot to DOS. This actually takes more power than just sitting on the Windows Desktop. I used a power meter and the difference was something like 20 to 30 watts greater in DOS. If the system does not shut down after the same period of time that you saw under windows then this is raising the stakes that something is up with your Windows installation using this new processor. Remember windows has to load additional stuff to enable the 2 processor cores or if you are running with HT Enabled then the OS needs to setup the scheduler to work with for CPU's.

Next. try pulling all of you extra stuff from the motherboard. Just have a single hard drive, minimum memory and a keyboard and mouse hooked up. Then boot into windows again and see if the system shuts down after 10 minutes.

If it does I would do a clean install. If you have an extra hard drive just do it to that one and see if you can do a complete windows installation and get all of the drivers installed. If you can do this then the Windows load is freaking on the 965 processor.

Last thing you can try too is to go into BIOS and disable all of the onboard peripherals. If you can run past the 10 minutes then enable each device at a time and test. I know this is going to take a long time but I'm betting you will find that it is your old Windows install that is causing you problems.

Hope this helps.

Ne
July 2, 2006 6:47:24 AM

Oh, if you think the new Bios flash was bad then you can do a Bios Recovery. This is were you pull the Bios jumper off and have the .bio file on a thumb drive or burned on a CD. The Board will sit for a while and you will notice access to the CD or the USB drive. It will eventually give you a screen update on what is happening. Make sure after you do a Bios update or recovery to go into Bios and select F9 for loading Defaults. Very important for Intel Bios'es.
July 2, 2006 6:57:26 PM

Yeah baby!!!! We are cooking with gas now!!! The problem appears to be solved.... I hope!

I have been up and running now for over an hour with multiple reboots. Repairing windows installation seems to have worked... Several folks on this board other boards indicated Windows XP might not like a cpu change. I wasn't just changing cpu speeds and the different manufacturing technology caused windows to choke?!? Something possibly to do with activation?!?!

Thanks to Bill Gates! I am gonna send him a bill! Thanks to all for trying to help on this one!

:D 
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2006 8:01:05 PM

>>Yeah baby!!!! We are cooking with gas now!!! The problem appears to be solved.... I hope!<<

Fantastic! Keep everyone posted on how your new processor performs.
January 1, 2014 7:39:43 PM

badge said:
Quote:
Hello All!

Thanks,
Sarcsurfer

You MB may not support Pentium D processors? I would double check.

January 1, 2014 7:42:11 PM

your board will not work cpu to fast d945 is the fast it will go d965 cpu d975bxb2 and you will need a 200watt heatsink fan with 500watt power supply or bigger
!