Canon Pixma iP3000 questions...

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 20, 2005 1:01:53 AM

Hello,

We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer we
have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.

The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink cartridges,
nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people (including some Epson
sales reps) that we should turn the printer off to preserve cartridge
life. While this helped (only marginally I might add) we still had many
problems.

I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing to
share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the printer.
It doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times per week).
Would it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in use or does
it matter?

Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when not
in use?

Thanks very much for any help...

trichard
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:20:29 AM

Just use it any way you like. The only no-no I'm aware of is to never leave
an ink tank out of the carriage for more than a couple minutes.

"trichard" <trichard@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer we
> have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.
>
> The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink cartridges,
> nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people (including some Epson
> sales reps) that we should turn the printer off to preserve cartridge
> life. While this helped (only marginally I might add) we still had many
> problems.
>
> I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing to
> share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the printer.
> It doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times per week).
> Would it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in use or does
> it matter?
>
> Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when not
> in use?
>
> Thanks very much for any help...
>
> trichard
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 2:18:25 AM

"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:

>Just use it any way you like. The only no-no I'm aware of is to never leave
>an ink tank out of the carriage for more than a couple minutes.

I have read that you should NEVER, EVER turn off the power with a
power strip because the print heads will not be parked on the thing
that seals them.

My Canon S750 has auto power on and auto power off functions that I
use so I never turn it on or off manually. I have never had a
problem with it.
--
I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is

April 20, 2005 9:02:56 AM

Close the paper trays to keep as much dust out as possible. Go to Neil
Slade's site at http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html for
excellent background info on canon printers in general, third party ink
info, and most important for the answer to your question, printer
maintenance. Then go to
www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and pick up lots of info - mostly on canon
printers. Both of these sites advocate using third party inks (which I do
quite successfully), but you will find other very helpful info as well. I'm
not trying to push you toward third party inks - just directing you to some
very practical material for canon printers.

"trichard" <trichard@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer we
> have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.
>
> The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink cartridges,
> nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people (including some Epson
> sales reps) that we should turn the printer off to preserve cartridge
> life. While this helped (only marginally I might add) we still had many
> problems.
>
> I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing to
> share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the printer. It
> doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times per week). Would
> it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in use or does it
> matter?
>
> Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when not in
> use?
>
> Thanks very much for any help...
>
> trichard
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:42:11 AM

trichard wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer we
> have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.
>
> The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink cartridges,
> nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people (including some
> Epson sales reps) that we should turn the printer off to preserve
> cartridge life. While this helped (only marginally I might add) we
> still had many problems.
>
> I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing
> to share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the
> printer. It doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times
> per week). Would it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in
> use or does it matter?
>
> Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when not
> in use?

I have an IP4000 and I never turn it off.

> Thanks very much for any help...
>
> trichard
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 10:07:12 AM

Daniel Prince wrote:

>"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
>

>>Just use it any way you like. The only no-no I'm aware of is to never leave
>>an ink tank out of the carriage for more than a couple minutes.
>>

>I have read that you should NEVER, EVER turn off the power with a
>power strip because the print heads will not be parked on the thing
>that seals them.

TRUE

>My Canon S750 has auto power on and auto power off functions that I
>use so I never turn it on or off manually. I have never had a
>problem with it.

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:13:14 PM

measekite wrote:

>> I have read that you should NEVER, EVER turn off the power with a
>> power strip because the print heads will not be parked on the thing
>> that seals them.
>>

> TRUE

agreed...
but then again, above is only valid if power cord is pulled while printing.
When printing is finished, head immediatelly goes into parking space and
seals carts. After that it's no harm done if power is lost. it's stupid to
do this, however.

>> My Canon S750 has auto power on and auto power off functions that I
>> use so I never turn it on or off manually. I have never had a
>> problem with it.

Same with ip series...great thing.

I use my ip4000 about at same rate..3-4 times per week. No problems so far,
while at my old i550 there were also no problems regarding clogging, only
head died after year and a half...
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:14:45 PM

measekite wrote:
> trichard wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer
>> we have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.
>>
>> The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink
>> cartridges, nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people
>> (including some Epson sales reps) that we should turn the printer
>> off to preserve cartridge life. While this helped (only marginally
>> I might add) we still had many problems.
>>
>> I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing
>> to share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the
>> printer. It doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times
>> per week). Would it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in
>> use or does it matter?
>>
>> Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when
>> not in use?
>

> I have an IP4000 and I never turn it off.

hm...

did you ever hear of environment polluting? Doing this you waste precious
energy and thus pollute the environment... ;-)
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 9:46:03 PM

Thanks for the helpful and friendly advice everyone.

-trichard

Burt wrote:
> Close the paper trays to keep as much dust out as possible. Go to Neil
> Slade's site at http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html for
> excellent background info on canon printers in general, third party ink
> info, and most important for the answer to your question, printer
> maintenance. Then go to
> www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and pick up lots of info - mostly on canon
> printers. Both of these sites advocate using third party inks (which I do
> quite successfully), but you will find other very helpful info as well. I'm
> not trying to push you toward third party inks - just directing you to some
> very practical material for canon printers.
>
> "trichard" <trichard@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer we
>>have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.
>>
>>The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink cartridges,
>>nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people (including some Epson
>>sales reps) that we should turn the printer off to preserve cartridge
>>life. While this helped (only marginally I might add) we still had many
>>problems.
>>
>>I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing to
>>share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the printer. It
>>doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times per week). Would
>>it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in use or does it
>>matter?
>>
>>Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when not in
>>use?
>>
>>Thanks very much for any help...
>>
>>trichard

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:50:02 AM

trichard <trichard@nowhere.net> wrotenews:eLidnXEQasywW_jfRVn-
ug@forethought.net:

> Hello,
>
> We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer we
> have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.
>
> The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink cartridges,
> nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people (including some Epson
> sales reps) that we should turn the printer off to preserve cartridge
> life. While this helped (only marginally I might add) we still had many
> problems.
>
> I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing to
> share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the printer.
> It doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times per week).
> Would it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in use or does
> it matter?
>
> Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when not
> in use?
>
> Thanks very much for any help...
>
> trichard

I too am an Epson refugee, for all those reasons above and because I
emailed them about my print heads being inoperative after spending hours
cleaning etc, and no answer.
I figure, if my unit is always clogging up, drying up, printing badly and
then no answer, screw them, I'll try someone else.
I did my research and bought the iP3000.
I couldn't be happier.

One creveat I can see, the only one, if you take your carts out to refill
them, use that orange plastic cap for the bottoms so they don't dry out.
the one that comes with the original carts you had to take off to install.

I printed out a 4/6 borderless picture and it looks better than drug store
pics!
--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrotenews:slu9e.11589$F6.2306062
@news.siol.net:

> measekite wrote:
>> trichard wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer
>>> we have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.
>>>
>>> The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink
>>> cartridges, nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people
>>> (including some Epson sales reps) that we should turn the printer
>>> off to preserve cartridge life. While this helped (only marginally
>>> I might add) we still had many problems.
>>>
>>> I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing
>>> to share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the
>>> printer. It doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times
>>> per week). Would it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in
>>> use or does it matter?
>>>
>>> Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when
>>> not in use?
>>

>> I have an IP4000 and I never turn it off.
>>

> hm...
>
> did you ever hear of environment polluting? Doing this you waste precious
> energy and thus pollute the environment... ;-)

This said while typing on your keyboard in the back of your familie's SUV,
you looking for a stable wifi connection to up this post on your way to
McDonalds to eat hamburgers and drink Coca cola, and then stop at the trash
dump to dispose of the 40# of clamshells, wrappings, plastic forks, many
unused ketsup packets, salt and pepper.... <s>

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Mapanari wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrotenews:slu9e.11589$F6.2306062
> @news.siol.net:
>
>> measekite wrote:

>>> I have an IP4000 and I never turn it off.
>>>

>> hm...
>>
>> did you ever hear of environment polluting? Doing this you waste
>> precious energy and thus pollute the environment... ;-)
>>

> This said while typing on your keyboard in the back of your familie's
> SUV, you looking for a stable wifi connection to up this post on your
> way to McDonalds to eat hamburgers and drink Coca cola, and then stop
> at the trash dump to dispose of the 40# of clamshells, wrappings,
> plastic forks, many unused ketsup packets, salt and pepper.... <s>

lol
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:14:59 AM

"Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message
> trichard <trichard@nowhere.net> wrotenews:eLidnXEQasywW_jfRVn-
> ug@forethought.net:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer we
> > have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.
> >
> > The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink cartridges,
> > nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people (including some Epson
> > sales reps) that we should turn the printer off to preserve cartridge
> > life. While this helped (only marginally I might add) we still had many
> > problems.
> >
> > I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing to
> > share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the printer.
> > It doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times per week).
> > Would it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in use or does
> > it matter?
> >
> > Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when not
> > in use?
> >
> > Thanks very much for any help...
> >
> > trichard
>

> I too am an Epson refugee, for all those reasons above and because I
> emailed them about my print heads being inoperative after spending hours
> cleaning etc, and no answer.
> I figure, if my unit is always clogging up, drying up, printing badly and
> then no answer, screw them, I'll try someone else.
> I did my research and bought the iP3000.
> I couldn't be happier.

Could you refill the ink for iP3000? Thanks

Ar Q
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 6:24:33 PM

Ar Q wrote:

>"Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>trichard <trichard@nowhere.net> wrotenews:eLidnXEQasywW_jfRVn-
>>ug@forethought.net:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer we
>>>have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.
>>>
>>>The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink cartridges,
>>>nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people (including some Epson
>>>sales reps) that we should turn the printer off to preserve cartridge
>>>life. While this helped (only marginally I might add) we still had many
>>>problems.
>>>
>>>I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing to
>>>share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the printer.
>>>It doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times per week).
>>>Would it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in use or does
>>>it matter?
>>>
>>>Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when not
>>>in use?
>>>
>>>Thanks very much for any help...
>>>
>>>trichard
>>>

>>I too am an Epson refugee, for all those reasons above and because I
>>emailed them about my print heads being inoperative after spending hours
>>cleaning etc, and no answer.
>>I figure, if my unit is always clogging up, drying up, printing badly and
>>then no answer, screw them, I'll try someone else.
>>I did my research and bought the iP3000.
>>I couldn't be happier.
>>

>Could you refill the ink for iP3000? Thanks
>
>Ar Q

Of course and depending what you use it could clog as well.
April 30, 2005 7:33:04 PM

Again, I find myself agreeing with Measekite! Either I am slipping or he is
becoming more reasonable. Please excuse my repeating an old, long post as
we have someone with legitimate questions about printer maintenance and use
of third party inks.

Inkjet printers have the potential to get clogged heads with their own brand
inks as well as quality aftermarket inks. The two major issues are 1) the
quality of the aftermarket inks and cartridges and 2) the frequency with
which you print. In addition, there is always some buildup of dried ink on
the underside of printheads that can sometimes cause clogs with months or
years of normal, regular use. Since you are interested in your supplies
beyond just going to the store and buying Canon cartridges it would be a
good idea to become more educated regarding these printers, inks and
cartridges. Measekite is right that there are some poor quality inks out
there, but he is critical of all the vendors, small businesses that
repackage other brand inks and sell them with their own labels on the
internet, and he writes about them in a disparaging manner. Moreover, he has
never used these products and yet makes authoritative statements based on
what he has selectively gleaned from reading posts on newsgroups. Although
few of the vendors advertise which inks they are selling, you can call or
email them and ask, if you so desire. I have personally used MIS inks to
refill Canon carts and have been very happy with the product (which I have
been told is Image Specialist ink). Look through this newsgroup for posts by
many third party ink users, including Ron Cohen and Taliesyn, for info about
their personal excellent experiences with third party inks. Following are a
few sites that have excellent information by people who don't just give you
their opinionated response - they have used these products successfully, and
they also report when they have had problems. Neil Slade's info on Canon
printers, papers, and inks is at www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff .

Then follow the link he gives near the top of that site to
www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for the forum on ink jet stuff. Lots of
information there as well. It's a good idea to know how to trouble shoot
printer problems that can occur with any ink, OEM or third party, and that
information is on those sites. Sensient Formulabs inks are available bulk
and also in prefilled cartridges, and this ink has quite a good reputation
with people who have used it and reported on this and other forums. In
addition to the site often noted by Measekite (not a personal endorsement as
he has never used aftermarket inks) Formulabs ink is in cartridges sold by
Alotofthings (their Arrow carts, not Rainbow), Weink (carts that have the
CRU id in their product listings), and, I have been told, Wiredbeans carts
which are available on ebay. You can contact each of them to verify that
their cartridges are filled with Formulabs inks before purchasing. Do sign
in to the Nifty-stuff forum and ask any questions of them that you wish.
They are very helpful. There are also some extremely helpful participants on
this newsgroup as well. Read all info, both pro and con, and make up your
own mind. Don't be put off by rants and invective.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 7:54:01 PM

Burt wrote:

>Again, I find myself agreeing with Measekite! Either I am slipping or he is
>becoming more reasonable. Please excuse my repeating an old, long post as
>we have someone with legitimate questions about printer maintenance and use
>of third party inks.
>
>Inkjet printers have the potential to get clogged heads with their own brand
>inks as well as quality aftermarket inks. The two major issues are 1) the
>quality of the aftermarket inks and cartridges and 2) the frequency with
>which you print. In addition, there is always some buildup of dried ink on
>the underside of printheads that can sometimes cause clogs with months or
>years of normal, regular use. Since you are interested in your supplies
>beyond just going to the store and buying Canon cartridges it would be a
>good idea to become more educated regarding these printers, inks and
>cartridges. Measekite is right that there are some poor quality inks out
>there, but he is critical of all the vendors, small businesses that
>repackage other brand inks and sell them with their own labels on the
>internet, and he writes about them in a disparaging manner. Moreover, he has
>never used these products and yet makes authoritative statements based on
>what he has selectively gleaned from reading posts on newsgroups. Although
>few of the vendors advertise which inks they are selling, you can call or
>email them and ask, if you so desire.

Some will refurse to tell you.

>I have personally used MIS inks to
>refill Canon carts and have been very happy with the product (which I have
>been told is Image Specialist ink). Look through this newsgroup for posts by
>many third party ink users, including Ron Cohen and Taliesyn, for info about
>their personal excellent experiences with third party inks. Following are a
>few sites that have excellent information by people who don't just give you
>their opinionated response - they have used these products successfully, and
>they also report when they have had problems. Neil Slade's info on Canon
>printers, papers, and inks is at www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff .
>
>Then follow the link he gives near the top of that site to
>www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for the forum on ink jet stuff. Lots of
>information there as well. It's a good idea to know how to trouble shoot
>printer problems that can occur with any ink, OEM or third party, and that
>information is on those sites. Sensient Formulabs inks are available bulk
>and also in prefilled cartridges, and this ink has quite a good reputation
>with people who have used it and reported on this and other forums. In
>addition to the site often noted by Measekite (not a personal endorsement as
>he has never used aftermarket inks) Formulabs ink is in cartridges sold by
>Alotofthings (their Arrow carts, not Rainbow),

alofotcrap is unprofessional. they did upgrade their website and now
has a webstore. they now have 2 webstores and charge different prices
on each

> Weink (carts that have the
>CRU id in their product listings),

WeStink is a hawker trying to screw you on price. Why buy a no name
prefilled ink cart for $7.00 when you can buy Canon OEM from Costco for
$9.00.

>and, I have been told,
>

>Wiredbeans carts
>which are available on ebay.

Do not know much about them but I do not like the setup on eBay.

>You can contact each of them to verify that
>their cartridges are filled with Formulabs inks before purchasing.

Why should you have to contact anyone to find out what is in the box.
The box should be properly labeled and the webstore should properly in
writing tell you what you are buying.

>Do sign
>in to the Nifty-stuff forum and ask any questions of them that you wish.
>They are very helpful. There are also some extremely helpful participants on
>this newsgroup as well. Read all info, both pro and con, and make up your
>own mind. Don't be put off by rants and invective.

I do read the info on those sites. As a matter of fact it was on
nifty-stuff that I learned that inkgrabber.com has had poor batches of
yellow ink that clogged print heads. And they did admit it also. Now
many people were scared when the next batch would be bad and what color
would be next.

We need government regulation of ink standards like we have of gas.
Plus a truth in labeling law. People should feel as comfortable in
buying aftermarket ink as they do in using generic drugs.

All the major OEMs need to do to weed out the hawkers and whores is to
low the cartridge price to $5.00. I believe they can afford to do this
and still make a profit.

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:57:12 AM

> Ar Q wrote:
>
> >"Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> >>trichard <trichard@nowhere.net> wrotenews:eLidnXEQasywW_jfRVn-
> >>ug@forethought.net:

Epson

> >>I too am an Epson refugee, for all those reasons above and because I
> >>emailed them about my print heads being inoperative after spending hours
> >>cleaning etc, and no answer.
> >>I figure, if my unit is always clogging up, drying up, printing badly
and
> >>then no answer, screw them, I'll try someone else.
> >>I did my research and bought the iP3000.
> >>I couldn't be happier.
> >>

> >Could you refill the ink for iP3000? Thanks
> >
> >Ar Q
> >

> Of course and depending what you use it could clog as well.

I saw Best Buy has a sale on Canon iP6000 this week. Do the good things you
said regarding iP3000 also apply to iP6000?
Thanks.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:25:26 AM

Ar Q wrote:

>>Ar Q wrote:
>>

>>>"Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message

>Epson

>many

>and

>>>Could you refill the ink for iP3000? Thanks
>>>
>>>Ar Q
>>>

>>Of course and depending what you use it could clog as well.
>>

>I saw Best Buy has a sale on Canon iP6000 this week. Do the good things you
>said regarding iP3000 also apply to iP6000?
>Thanks.

I would buy an IP4000 over the IP6000 unless you plan on printing and
editing without a computer. The IP 4000 will produce about the same
photo prints and substantially better business documents. Other than
the ability to do some minor editing without a computer there is no
other reason I can think of to get one.

Watch the sales at Fry's. About once a month they have the IP4000 $150
list with an instant store rebate of $30 and a Canon rebate of $20.00
netting the printer at $100.00. That is the best price I have seen them
for.

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:50:01 AM

> >I saw Best Buy has a sale on Canon iP6000 this week. Do the good things
you
> >said regarding iP3000 also apply to iP6000?
> >Thanks.
> >

> I would buy an IP4000 over the IP6000 unless you plan on printing and
> editing without a computer. The IP 4000 will produce about the same
> photo prints and substantially better business documents. Other than
> the ability to do some minor editing without a computer there is no
> other reason I can think of to get one.
>
> Watch the sales at Fry's. About once a month they have the IP4000 $150
> list with an instant store rebate of $30 and a Canon rebate of $20.00
> netting the printer at $100.00. That is the best price I have seen them
> for.

I saw this week OfficeMax has iP4000 on sale at $100 while Officedepot at
$110. By the way, after carefully studying the difference among Canon
printers, I found only iP4000 meet my need since my computer runs Win98 and
uses Parallel interface. Thanks again.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 2:15:38 AM

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrotenews:TfGce.1682$pe3.33
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> "Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message
>> trichard <trichard@nowhere.net> wrotenews:eLidnXEQasywW_jfRVn-
>> ug@forethought.net:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > We recently purchased a Canon Pixma iP3000. It's the first printer we
>> > have bought since a bad experience with an Epson Stylus 800.
>> >
>> > The Espon would constantly have problems with dried up ink cartridges,
>> > nozzles clogged, etc. We were told by many people (including some
Epson
>> > sales reps) that we should turn the printer off to preserve cartridge
>> > life. While this helped (only marginally I might add) we still had
many
>> > problems.
>> >
>> > I am hoping someone might have the Canon iP3000 Pixma and be willing
>> > share with us any advice or tips on general maintenace of the printer.
>> > It doesn't get heavy use in our household (maybe 3-4 times per week).
>> > Would it be worthwhile to turn the printer off when not in use or does
>> > it matter?
>> >
>> > Any reason to close the paper trays (input or output) as well when not
>> > in use?
>> >
>> > Thanks very much for any help...
>> >
>> > trichard
>>

>> I too am an Epson refugee, for all those reasons above and because I
>> emailed them about my print heads being inoperative after spending hours
>> cleaning etc, and no answer.
>> I figure, if my unit is always clogging up, drying up, printing badly
and
>> then no answer, screw them, I'll try someone else.
>> I did my research and bought the iP3000.
>> I couldn't be happier.
>>

> Could you refill the ink for iP3000? Thanks
>
> Ar Q

One of the main reasons why I bought it. It's ridicously easy.

And if refilling is some boogerman-type of nono with you, I've found carts
on the net around $5.00 apiece, .000034 Euros to you! <s>

If I had to buy my carts in europe it would cost me $30 each using our
useless worthless, rapidly declining dollar.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrotenews:ByMce.3754$Gd7.3420
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

> Ar Q wrote:
>
>>"Mapanari" <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>trichard <trichard@nowhere.net> wrotenews:eLidnXEQasywW_jfRVn-
>>>ug@forethought.net:

Epson

>>>I too am an Epson refugee, for all those reasons above and because I
>>>emailed them about my print heads being inoperative after spending hours
>>>cleaning etc, and no answer.
>>>I figure, if my unit is always clogging up, drying up, printing badly
and
>>>then no answer, screw them, I'll try someone else.
>>>I did my research and bought the iP3000.
>>>I couldn't be happier.
>>>

>>Could you refill the ink for iP3000? Thanks
>>
>>Ar Q
>>

> Of course and depending what you use it could clog as well.

Says the company ink cart maker shill who lurks on this group, always
attempting to warn people away from refilling their ink carts....as he
cackles with glee at the 6000% profit margin on ink carts that foolish
people buy.
--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrotenews:aeWce.11322$J12.2331
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

> Ar Q wrote:
>
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>Epson

>>many

>>and

>>>Of course and depending what you use it could clog as well.
>>>

>>I saw Best Buy has a sale on Canon iP6000 this week. Do the good things
you
>>said regarding iP3000 also apply to iP6000?
>>Thanks.
>>

> I would buy an IP4000 over the IP6000 unless you plan on printing and
> editing without a computer. The IP 4000 will produce about the same
> photo prints and substantially better business documents. Other than
> the ability to do some minor editing without a computer there is no
> other reason I can think of to get one.
>
> Watch the sales at Fry's. About once a month they have the IP4000 $150
> list with an instant store rebate of $30 and a Canon rebate of $20.00
> netting the printer at $100.00. That is the best price I have seen them
> for.

Actually, consumer reports lists the 6000 way below the 4000.

I would have thought they used simular or same technology, just more bells
and whistles to justify higher price and larger model number, but I guess
not.
There is a clear diference in quality and speed according to them.

Interestingly enough, they didn't rate the iP3000, which is exactly the
same as the 4000 minus one black txt printing cart.

Frys had the iP4000 about a week ago for $100 after rebates.

I paid $59 for my iP3000 delivered to my door and no filthy sales tax to
help support illegal alien's health care and social security payments.

I figure the extra black cart is not worth $40 more.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Mapanari wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrotenews:aeWce.11322$J12.2331
>@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
>

>>Ar Q wrote:
>>

>>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>we

>cartridges,

>>>Epson

>>>many

>printer.

>does

>not

>hours

>>>and

>>>I saw Best Buy has a sale on Canon iP6000 this week. Do the good things
>>>

>you
>

>>>said regarding iP3000 also apply to iP6000?
>>>Thanks.
>>>

>>I would buy an IP4000 over the IP6000 unless you plan on printing and
>>editing without a computer. The IP 4000 will produce about the same
>>photo prints and substantially better business documents. Other than
>>the ability to do some minor editing without a computer there is no
>>other reason I can think of to get one.
>>
>>Watch the sales at Fry's. About once a month they have the IP4000 $150
>>list with an instant store rebate of $30 and a Canon rebate of $20.00
>>netting the printer at $100.00. That is the best price I have seen them
>>for.
>>

>Actually, consumer reports lists the 6000 way below the 4000.
>
>I would have thought they used simular or same technology, just more bells
>and whistles to justify higher price and larger model number, but I guess
>not.
>There is a clear diference in quality and speed according to them.
>
>Interestingly enough, they didn't rate the iP3000, which is exactly the
>same as the 4000 minus one black txt printing cart.

And for some reason it is somewhat slower.

>Frys had the iP4000 about a week ago for $100 after rebates.
>
>I paid $59 for my iP3000 delivered to my door and no filthy sales tax to
>help support illegal alien's health care and social security payments.
>
>I figure the extra black cart is not worth $40 more.

But it is. The photo has more contrast and richer blacks and you do not
have to mix the colors to get black. The prints are much sharper and it
is worth $40.00 more.; some of which you will make up on the ink savings.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 5:16:07 PM

I hope you don't buy any fruit that's picked by, never use a hotel whose
rooms are cleaned by, or have a home that's cleaned by, never use a
convenience store that's manned by, or have children who are cared by,
and never buy any "made in the USA" clothing that's sewn together by one
of those "illegal aliens", and of course, like yourself, we all hope
you'll drop long before your social security clicks in.

Art

Mapanari wrote:

> I paid $59 for my iP3000 delivered to my door and no filthy sales tax to
> help support illegal alien's health care and social security payments.

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 12:53:37 AM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrotenews:LXUde.880$X21.359
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

>>I figure the extra black cart is not worth $40 more.
>>

> But it is. The photo has more contrast and richer blacks and you do not
> have to mix the colors to get black. The prints are much sharper and it
> is worth $40.00 more.; some of which you will make up on the ink savings.

I printed out a test photo that had plenty of black in it, and it was a
better photo than I could get from the photolab.

I'm happy,

And I don't care about ink, because one reason I bought this was becuase of
the ease of refilling the carts.
I have 80ml of each color and 120ml of black just sitting here waiting for my
first refill. I think it all cost me about $19.00. I can refill about 4
times, 6 on the black.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Mapanari <whosthat@anonmail.com> wrote:

>Every illegal aliens lowers wages, benefits and screws the inner city poor
>badly.

They also tend to cause rents to go up.
--
I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
amounts of BS very, very rapidly.

May 8, 2005 5:47:38 AM

Mapanari wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrotenews:LXUde.880$X21.359
>@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:
>

>>>I figure the extra black cart is not worth $40 more.
>>>

>>But it is. The photo has more contrast and richer blacks and you do not
>>have to mix the colors to get black. The prints are much sharper and it
>>is worth $40.00 more.; some of which you will make up on the ink savings.
>>

>I printed out a test photo that had plenty of black in it, and it was a
>better photo than I could get from the photolab.
>
>I'm happy,
>
>And I don't care about ink, because one reason I bought this was becuase of
>the ease of refilling the carts.
>I have 80ml of each color and 120ml of black just sitting here waiting for my
>first refill. I think it all cost me about $19.00. I can refill about 4
>times, 6 on the black.

What is the BRAND and where did you get it?
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 10:06:03 PM

On 2005-04-20 17:13 CEST, SleeperMan wrote:

> I use my ip4000 about at same rate..3-4 times per week. No problems so far,
> while at my old i550 there were also no problems regarding clogging, only
> head died after year and a half...

I am thinking about replacing my HP 990 with a Canon iP4000.
Did you ever print duplex text pages? I have heard that for duplex
printing the printer uses the "photo" black ink while for single side
printing it uses the pigmented black ink.

Do you see a considerable difference in quality between both black
inks while printing text?

May 16, 2005 10:06:04 PM

I just replaced a 990 with a IP4000. Also have a IP3000. Both are much
quicker printers whether duplexing or not. I see no visible difference on
the 4000 between single and 2-sided prints of text and graphics. The 4000 is
a bit better quality using normal resolution than the 3000 is.

"Jochen Schmid" <pflhyfe5@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:D 6aneb$vq6$1@jupiter.r-ci.de...
> On 2005-04-20 17:13 CEST, SleeperMan wrote:
>
> > I use my ip4000 about at same rate..3-4 times per week. No problems so
far,
> > while at my old i550 there were also no problems regarding clogging,
only
> > head died after year and a half...
>
> I am thinking about replacing my HP 990 with a Canon iP4000.
> Did you ever print duplex text pages? I have heard that for duplex
> printing the printer uses the "photo" black ink while for single side
> printing it uses the pigmented black ink.
>
> Do you see a considerable difference in quality between both black
> inks while printing text?

May 16, 2005 10:09:55 PM

On 2005-04-20 17:13 CEST, SleeperMan wrote:

> I use my ip4000 about at same rate..3-4 times per week. No problems so far,
> while at my old i550 there were also no problems regarding clogging, only
> head died after year and a half...

It died after that short period? What was the problem?

May 16, 2005 10:15:48 PM

On 2005-04-20 17:14 CEST, SleeperMan wrote:

> did you ever hear of environment polluting? Doing this you waste precious
> energy and thus pollute the environment... ;-)

True but not serious. Power consumption is only 0.65W (standby).

May 16, 2005 10:45:35 PM

On 2005-05-04 00:21 CEST, Mapanari wrote:

> Interestingly enough, they didn't rate the iP3000, which is exactly the
> same as the 4000 minus one black txt printing cart.

And minus the parallel interface.

May 16, 2005 11:07:28 PM

Jochen Schmid wrote:

>On 2005-04-20 17:13 CEST, SleeperMan wrote:
>

>>I use my ip4000 about at same rate..3-4 times per week. No problems so far,
>>while at my old i550 there were also no problems regarding clogging, only
>>head died after year and a half...
>>

>I am thinking about replacing my HP 990 with a Canon iP4000.

I have both an HP990 and a Canon IP4000 side by side. With the Canon if
you choose plain paper the printer will use the pigmented cart.

>Did you ever print duplex text pages? I have heard that for duplex
>printing the printer uses the "photo" black ink while for single side
>printing it uses the pigmented black ink.
>
>Do you see a considerable difference in quality between both black
>inks while printing text?

The difference between the HP990 and the Canon IP4000 as far as ink goes
when printing on plain paper is as follows:

The HP draft mode looks almost the same quality as the Canon Standard
Mode.
The Canon Standard mode is almost as fast as the HP draft mode.
The Canon ink is much more smear resistant when using a highlighter.
The Canon does a better job on photos and is faster.
I do not use the dye based black when printing test because I choose
plain paper. The paper choice is what controls which black is used.
May 17, 2005 1:14:49 AM

Jochen Schmid wrote:

>On 2005-04-20 17:13 CEST, SleeperMan wrote:
>
>> I use my ip4000 about at same rate..3-4 times per week. No problems so far,
>> while at my old i550 there were also no problems regarding clogging, only
>> head died after year and a half...
>
>It died after that short period? What was the problem?

While they print nice photos, the Canon i-series printers have
printheads that are not permanent and do not last very long. They seem
to suffer from thermal damage and a group of nozzles will just quit
working.

I had a Canon i850 and its printhead failed after less than 5,000 pages
and 16 months. A friend with the i550 suffered the same loss after about
14 months and some 2,500 pages.

It's not at all uncommon...and it makes me wonder how many people have
put through 10,000-20,000+ pages without issues.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 4:05:49 AM

Dan G wrote:

>I just replaced a 990 with a IP4000. Also have a IP3000. Both are much
>quicker printers whether duplexing or not. I see no visible difference on
>the 4000 between single and 2-sided prints of text and graphics.
>

>The 4000 is
>a bit better quality using normal resolution than the 3000 is.

With text that seems strange. When using plain paper setting they both
use the same Pigmented Black Cart. Maybe the print head is different.

>"Jochen Schmid" <pflhyfe5@gmx.net> wrote in message
>news:D 6aneb$vq6$1@jupiter.r-ci.de...
>

>>On 2005-04-20 17:13 CEST, SleeperMan wrote:
>>

>>>I use my ip4000 about at same rate..3-4 times per week. No problems so
>>>

>far,
>

>>>while at my old i550 there were also no problems regarding clogging,
>>>

>only
>

>>>head died after year and a half...
>>>

>>I am thinking about replacing my HP 990 with a Canon iP4000.
>>Did you ever print duplex text pages? I have heard that for duplex
>>printing the printer uses the "photo" black ink while for single side
>>printing it uses the pigmented black ink.
>>
>>Do you see a considerable difference in quality between both black
>>inks while printing text?
>>
>>--

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:24:19 AM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrotenews:_cefe.14238$J12.8559@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

>>And I don't care about ink, because one reason I bought this was becuase
>>of the ease of refilling the carts.
>>I have 80ml of each color and 120ml of black just sitting here waiting
>>for my first refill. I think it all cost me about $19.00. I can refill
>>about 4 times, 6 on the black.
>>

> What is the BRAND and where did you get it?

www.printerinkwarehouse.com

Used to be www.ink-refill-ink.com

I've used them for about 4 years now.

I order, and bam! 3 days later "Ding dong" Rrrrrum ruuuu...screach...." and
the UPS truck is already gone and there is a big envelope in my box.
--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Jochen Schmid <pflhyfe5@gmx.net> wrotenews:D 6apof$vq6$4@jupiter.r-ci.de:

> On 2005-05-04 00:21 CEST, Mapanari wrote:
>
>> Interestingly enough, they didn't rate the iP3000, which is exactly the
>> same as the 4000 minus one black txt printing cart.
>
> And minus the parallel interface.

Yup....for those Russians in Siberia who still use PP and Windows 95a.

--
---Mapanari---
Anonymous

Mapanari wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
>wrotenews:_cefe.14238$J12.8559@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
>

>>>And I don't care about ink, because one reason I bought this was becuase
>>>of the ease of refilling the carts.
>>>I have 80ml of each color and 120ml of black just sitting here waiting
>>>for my first refill. I think it all cost me about $19.00. I can refill
>>>about 4 times, 6 on the black.
>>>

>>What is the BRAND and where did you get it?
>>

>www.printerinkwarehouse.com

It appears you are not able to answer the question as to the BRAND
because (like many other vendors who think compatible is a brand when it
is not even a label) the vendor does not publisize what you are buying.
All you know is that you bought something and maybe (nobody knows for
sure) the next batch you buy may be from some other source.

>Used to be www.ink-refill-ink.com
>
>I've used them for about 4 years now.
>
>I order, and bam! 3 days later "Ding dong" Rrrrrum ruuuu...screach...." and
>the UPS truck is already gone and there is a big envelope in my box.

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:50:41 AM

Mapanari wrote:

>Jochen Schmid <pflhyfe5@gmx.net> wrotenews:D 6apof$vq6$4@jupiter.r-ci.de:
>

>>On 2005-05-04 00:21 CEST, Mapanari wrote:
>>

>>>Interestingly enough, they didn't rate the iP3000, which is exactly the
>>>same as the 4000 minus one black txt printing cart.
>>>

>>And minus the parallel interface.

I don't know for sure but there may be a small difference in the printhead.

>Yup....for those Russians in Siberia who still use PP and Windows 95a.

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:17:41 PM

On 2005-05-16 21:07 CEST, measekite wrote:

> I do not use the dye based black when printing test because I choose
> plain paper. The paper choice is what controls which black is used.

Do I understand it right? If you select plain paper and duplex
printing the iP4000 uses pigment based ink like it does for single
side printing? Canon does not have this information on their web site
but other sources gave me the information that the printer uses dye
based ink for duplex printing because it dries faster.

Thank you for your input.

May 17, 2005 12:19:13 PM

On 2005-05-17 03:14 CEST, Bill wrote:

> It's not at all uncommon...and it makes me wonder how many people have
> put through 10,000-20,000+ pages without issues.

The service manual says something about 18,000 pages as printer
lifetime.

May 17, 2005 12:21:40 PM

On 2005-05-17 05:25 CEST, Mapanari wrote:

> Yup....for those Russians in Siberia who still use PP and Windows 95a.

Or those Europeans who want to attach the printer to an old notebook
(without USB port) running Linux.

You know what USB really means? (U)seless (S)erial (B)us.

May 17, 2005 2:12:40 PM

Jochen Schmid wrote:

>On 2005-05-16 21:07 CEST, measekite wrote:
>

>>I do not use the dye based black when printing test because I choose
>>plain paper. The paper choice is what controls which black is used.
>>

>Do I understand it right? If you select plain paper and duplex
>printing the iP4000 uses pigment based ink like it does for single
>side printing? Canon does not have this information on their web site
>but other sources gave me the information that the printer uses dye
>based ink for duplex printing because it dries faster.
>
>Thank you for your input.

I believe that is correct. You can adjust the time of drying in the driver.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:33:25 PM

That is correct. Plain paper mode uses pigment black. All other paper
selections do not use pigment black, but instead use photo black. If one
wanted to prove this it can be done by swapping the photo black tank with
one of the other colors. Print some large solids to purge the residual ink
and then run some tests. It wastes a bit of ink to do this, but it will show
the above to be a true statement.

Ron

> Jochen Schmid wrote:
>
>>On 2005-05-16 21:07 CEST, measekite wrote:
>>

>>>I do not use the dye based black when printing test because I choose
>>>plain paper. The paper choice is what controls which black is used.
>>>

>>Do I understand it right? If you select plain paper and duplex
>>printing the iP4000 uses pigment based ink like it does for single
>>side printing? Canon does not have this information on their web site
>>but other sources gave me the information that the printer uses dye
>>based ink for duplex printing because it dries faster.
>>Thank you for your input.
>>

> I believe that is correct. You can adjust the time of drying in the
> driver.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:38:37 PM

That's a whole lot of photo's. Don't worry about the printer life or cost.
Without even considering ink costs, just think of how expensive the paper
will be to print that quantity. <g>
Ron

"Jochen Schmid" <pflhyfe5@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:D 6c9e1$4ek$2@jupiter.r-ci.de...
> On 2005-05-17 03:14 CEST, Bill wrote:
>
>> It's not at all uncommon...and it makes me wonder how many people have
>> put through 10,000-20,000+ pages without issues.
>
> The service manual says something about 18,000 pages as printer
> lifetime.
>
> --

May 18, 2005 12:45:47 AM

Ron Cohen wrote:

>That's a whole lot of photo's. Don't worry about the printer life or cost.

Unfortunately that's not photos though.

A single 4x6 photo is roughly equal to about what, say 20 pages
(100/5%=20), so the number of photos is only about 1,000 and then it's
time for a new printhead.

>Without even considering ink costs, just think of how expensive the paper
>will be to print that quantity. <g>

It's not that bad...about 10 cents per 4x6 sheet. Less if you buy 8.5x11
and cut down to size.
May 18, 2005 12:45:47 AM

Jochen Schmid wrote:

>> It's not at all uncommon...and it makes me wonder how many people have
>> put through 10,000-20,000+ pages without issues.
>
>The service manual says something about 18,000 pages as printer
>lifetime.

Really...I'd like to get my hands on a service manual.

Unfortunately the owner's manual (or brochures) doesn't have any mention
of printer or printhead life other than to say the printhead is
"designed to last the life of the printer" - rather vague.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:16:40 AM

I guess you didn't notice the <g>. I guess I was a little to subtle on that
one.
Ron

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:SpSdndOzwvqmDRffRVn-tg@golden.net...
> Ron Cohen wrote:
>
>>That's a whole lot of photo's. Don't worry about the printer life or cost.
>
> Unfortunately that's not photos though.
>
> A single 4x6 photo is roughly equal to about what, say 20 pages
> (100/5%=20), so the number of photos is only about 1,000 and then it's
> time for a new printhead.
>
>>Without even considering ink costs, just think of how expensive the paper
>>will be to print that quantity. <g>
>
> It's not that bad...about 10 cents per 4x6 sheet. Less if you buy 8.5x11
> and cut down to size.
May 18, 2005 10:58:27 PM

Ron Cohen wrote:

>>>Without even considering ink costs, just think of how expensive the paper
>>>will be to print that quantity. <g>
>>
>> It's not that bad...about 10 cents per 4x6 sheet. Less if you buy 8.5x11
>> and cut down to size.
>
>I guess you didn't notice the <g>. I guess I was a little to subtle on that
>one.

Oops...you're right, I didn't notice the grin the first time around. And
I should have known better...aren't you one of the no-name paper users?
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:56:54 PM

On 2005-05-17 20:33 CEST, Ron Cohen wrote:

> That is correct. Plain paper mode uses pigment black.

If that is also true for duplex prints on plain paper this may be my
next printer. Thank you.