Hello,

I just recieved my new Microsoft XP Professional. I would like to know
if I will have problems installing my XP operating system on both my
home computers? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

In news:8ssll0to8r6at2asqj4f21nqt7gbmdc2od@4ax.com,
DBX <DBX@gmail.com> typed:

> I just recieved my new Microsoft XP Professional. I would like
> to know
> if I will have problems installing my XP operating system on
> both my
> home computers? Any help would be appreciated.

You can *not* do this. The rule is quite clear. It's one copy (or
one license) for each computer.
There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's
been in effect on every version of Windows starting with Windows
3.1. The only thing new with XP is that there's now an
enforcement mechanism.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Windows XP requires an individual license (Product Key) for
each installation on a different computer. Therefore, you will
need to purchase a new license for each additional installation
of Windows XP. However, you can use the same Windows XP
CD to install with a new Product Key.

In case you overlooked it:

On the back of the Windows XP box, please read the statement:

"For installation and use on one computer"
(see License Agreement for license terms).

Go to Start >Run box type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then click on the
"End-User License Agreement" and read it. Your answer
lies in that agreement.

You can also open XP's "Help and Support" and type: EULA
and hit enter. Click on "Questions and answers about the EULA".

How to obtain additional licenses for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814175&Product=winxp

How To Change the Product Key at the Time of Activation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"DBX" wrote:

| Hello,
|
| I just recieved my new Microsoft XP Professional. I would like to know
| if I will have problems installing my XP operating system on both my
| home computers? Any help would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks!

Hi

If you have only one XP CD, you will only be able to install onto one of the
PCs - one copy of XP per computer. You will either have to purchase a 2nd
XP CD or purchase a 2nd license for the XP CD that you already have:

"Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

DBX wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just recieved my new Microsoft XP Professional. I would like to
> know
> if I will have problems installing my XP operating system on both my
> home computers? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Just as it says, right on the box, you'll need to purchase a
separate WinXP license for each computer on which you install it.

As it has always been with all Microsoft operating systems,
it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which
it is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to
determine final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which
WinXP licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is
that Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft
mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more
difficult) multiple installations using a single license.

You can buy additional licenses, assuming you have a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would
if you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

DBX wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just recieved my new Microsoft XP Professional. I would like to know
> if I will have problems installing my XP operating system on both my
> home computers? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Yes of course you will! As has been the case since Windows 3.1, it's one
licence *PER SYSTEM*. If you want to install it on more than one system you
will require more than one licence.

Let me guess, you're another of these idiots who thinks CPU=computer and
bought Pro because someone told you it could be installed on two CPUs?! The
CPU is the Central Processing Unit _not_ the computer! Two CPUs means one
system with dual processors.

lose his marbles?

Please answer civil questions with civil answers.

> DBX wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just recieved my new Microsoft XP Professional. I would like to know
>> if I will have problems installing my XP operating system on both my
>> home computers? Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>

> Yes of course you will! As has been the case since Windows 3.1, it's one
> licence *PER SYSTEM*. If you want to install it on more than one system
> you will require more than one licence.
>
> Let me guess, you're another of these idiots who thinks CPU=computer and
> bought Pro because someone told you it could be installed on two CPUs?!
> The CPU is the Central Processing Unit _not_ the computer! Two CPUs means
> one system with dual processors.
>
> --
> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> lose his marbles?

You've already been admonished. However if I take your question literally
the answer is that you shouldn't run into any problems installing XP Pro to
both computer providing they meet the basic specifications to run XP.

BUT...... you will run into problems Activating Windows XP on both
computers. You can only have XP activated on one computer and Windows XP
must be activated in order for it to continue to run after it's Grace period
has expired. You should read up on this at Alex Nichol's page here
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp