illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
hi, i was just wondering which ione would be beter a lets say single core clocked at 3.7, or a core 2 duo 2.4 in games like fear, battlefield2142 and such, i know that dualcores are awsome(if the apps suport them) but what about the curent software/games that suport only singlecores? would the 2.4 core 2 duo also outpreform a single core? ( i know the treding thing, but i was just wondering what would be a possible advantage of a dualcore vs single core in a non multicore optimized software)

Thx

sugi123

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I would definately go with the dual core, because single cores will be gradually outdated, being replaced with dual core processors.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
i was not even considering geting a single core ( half a year ago i would go maby single core thou) but i was just curious because i heard that in a dualcore only 1 core is being used (if the particular software is not dualcore compliant) and i was just cuious in regards to gaming, for instance when i would be looking at the gaming requirements on a "games box" ...but i think that i wouldnt have to wory about that having a core 2 duo 2.4, would I? ( I was thinking about being able to play crisis in its max setings when it comes out, using that cpu and a 1900xt with 2 gigs of ram.

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
In most games it seems even the Core 2 Duo 6300 (1.83Ghz) is outperforming a PD955, and the 6400(2.13Ghz) is outperforming the PD965.

Sure if you got the money to buy a 2.4, or 2.67Ghz Core2 processor thats obviously going to be faster, but even the basic models are making the P4 look like a slow obsolete processor, and giving AMD64's a good run

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Single core will be a thing of the past - very soon -
Especially, any high-end game.

in the beginning, there was talk about getting a faster single core,
rather than a slower per core - dual core - that discussion is now dead.

Also, you can't directly compare a conroe slower core to a faster
P4 - fast in clock speed that is. Go Dual - unless you want
to buy yesterday's games.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
i dont want to spend mutch but i learned that the beter the hardware the longer itll "live" and usually unfortunetly the more expensive it is. ok lol so i guess the 2.4 ghz core 2 duo should last me a while whithout worying about "will my system be able to play thisgame, that game"....lol so now i can begin to wory about my gpu lol :wink: , thx for the info

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
lol is it me or many games(if not all ) that come out nowedays are high end lol, and most of them require a mutch beter than an average pc to run them fairly well with good/medium graphix, ofcourse many pc's wil work with many games but will not show their "beauty" :( , it used to be like this in thepast , but that was less comon, or is that just my imagination? :wink: