brand new system w/ EVGA 7800 GS AGP not performing right...

G

hey, guys. i just put together this new system last week

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500CGBOX
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model CMX1024-3200
eVGA 256-A8-N507 Geforce 7800GS CO Edition 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

i think it might be a driver issue, but when i play counter-strike: source at 1800 something resolution, i get an FPS of ~30-40. when i turn the graphics down and lower the resolution to 1024x768, i get the SAME FPS of ~30-40. i mean, my four-year-old dell could give me a higher FPS than this brand new machine at 1024x768.

i am using the latest drivers from nVidia, and i've installed/reinstalled my agp driver, the stock video card drivers, and the latest video card drivers over and over and over...

ANY help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks, in advance.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well I hope you didnt buy a 939 system , that would be kinda dumb cause you wont be able to upgrade anything in the future.
You say you've loaded the drivers over and over and over. Have you tried uninstalling everything and only loading the nvidia drivers from their website?

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
The system is quite new, so I'd recommend updating all drivers. Then, have regular malware (virus, spyware,adware) check, since they can really hurt performance also. Also, have nothing running in the background, as they use up CPU, and RAM, which also decrease performance.

Xcel

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
guess what man. I have the same problem.. Change ALL Settings to minimum or maximum and the FPS stays the same... like.. WTF?!

I have an INNO3D Geforce 7800gs 256mb.
Same problem, and i have been searching the net like crazy for the past 2 weeks trying to find a solution. I did a bios flash and what not, stuff that my mind cannot comprehend, just to fix this.

I've been told the power supply needs 21A on the 12V+ rail. Check your power supply, and if it is less than 21A, i have NO doubt that is the issue for your low FPS. Cuz i am having same issue and everyone tells me my P4 3ghtz + hyper threading is bottlenecking my pc which i don't believe 1 bit!

So yea, open up ur case, check the side of the power supply under the 12V+, post the rating of AMPERS and if it's <21A you know thats the problem.

WATTAGE DOES NOT MATTER IN THE PSU, IT'S THE AMPS THAT COUNT!

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Well I hope you didnt buy a 939 system , that would be kinda dumb cause you wont be able to upgrade anything in the future.
Who's the dumb one?

His motherboard supports socket M2, as well as 939. Plus, he has a PCIE slot for a future graphics card upgrade :roll:

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
That is one of the reason I have always said no lessor than a 32 amps on a single rail, people haunt me, but I know from my own cards that 20 amps did not do the job specially with the gs model. I now have 36 max and that has the power.

ZimboBEAR

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
try forcing your css to use directx level 8.0 instead of 9, you should see a healthy increase in speed then.

login into to steam and go to the launch properties of css....then type in

-dxlevel 8.0 for directx level 8.0
-dxlevel 8.1 for directx level 8.1
-dxlevel 9.0 for directx level 9.0 if you want to go back to dxlevel 9

also depending on how much RAM you have you can set the Heapsize as well, usually half the amount of RAM using the command
for example

512MB System Memory: -heapsize 262144
1GB System Memory: -heapsize 524288
2GB System Memory: -heapsize 1048576

also try NGO optimized drivers from here http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=10

check that you have AGP Fastwrites enabled as well in the BIOS. Also you might want to double check to see if in the BIOS the AGP Settings are set to 4x8x..

Xcel

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
TY for the info.
No help on my end. I used DX7.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 a few weeks ago, no change in fps.

Now that i think about it, could it be a .DLL file in the system which is actually CAPPING the fps?!?!
Maybe now, now that i think about it, at the end of the CS:S/HL2 stress test, the fps jolts to 120-140 fps at the end.. and sometimes reaches 90 for about 8 seconds in the stress test.. mmmm, it's more and more looking like a Power Supply problem. But i want to make sure it is before i go out and buy.
I posted the problem to INNO3D and NVIDIA. Nvidia told me to return it, they didn't say anything about 18A being a problem. They simply said "Possible defect in the card, return it to the manufacturer".
INNO3D said (eventually...) to try it in another system or change PSU's, which i am yet to do!

I have one of THE WORST bioses known to man.
There are almost NO settings in my bios, it's all for hard drives, network cards and stuff. I can't even edit alot of the stuff. It just tells me what it is :(. And the ONLY thing related to my video card in BIOS is where it asks which vid card is being used: AGP or PCI... (Updating bios doesn't help anything)