URGENT - Restore directory services restore mode password

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

hi,
I do not have the directory services restore mode password of an important
server. (the company that installed the server does not work with us any
more, and they also do not have the password).
Somone knows an application or a way to find out what is the direcroty
services password of a win2000 server ???
ideas ???

thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

If you can login to the W2k DC with a domain administrator account, run

setpwd

to change the DS Restore Mode Administrator Account password on that DC.

This works only on >= W2k SP2.

HTH.

"Gil" wrote:

> hi,
> I do not have the directory services restore mode password of an important
> server. (the company that installed the server does not work with us any
> more, and they also do not have the password).
> Somone knows an application or a way to find out what is the direcroty
> services password of a win2000 server ???
> ideas ???
>
> thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Desmond,
It will work on windows 2000 SP 4 ???

Thanks.

"Desmond Lee" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars> wrote in message
> If you can login to the W2k DC with a domain administrator account, run
>
> setpwd
>
> to change the DS Restore Mode Administrator Account password on that DC.
>
> This works only on >= W2k SP2.
>
> HTH.
>

> "Gil" wrote:
>
> > hi,
> > I do not have the directory services restore mode password of an
important
> > server. (the company that installed the server does not work with us any
> > more, and they also do not have the password).
> > Somone knows an application or a way to find out what is the direcroty
> > services password of a win2000 server ???
> > ideas ???
> >
> > thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Yes, W2k SP2 and above.

Let us know if it helps.

"Gil" wrote:

> Desmond,
> It will work on windows 2000 SP 4 ???
>
> Thanks.
>

> "Desmond Lee" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars> wrote in message
> > If you can login to the W2k DC with a domain administrator account, run
> >
> > setpwd
> >
> > to change the DS Restore Mode Administrator Account password on that DC.
> >
> > This works only on >= W2k SP2.
> >
> > HTH.
> >

> > "Gil" wrote:
> >
> > > hi,
> > > I do not have the directory services restore mode password of an
> important
> > > server. (the company that installed the server does not work with us any
> > > more, and they also do not have the password).
> > > Somone knows an application or a way to find out what is the direcroty
> > > services password of a win2000 server ???
> > > ideas ???
> > >
> > > thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Desmond,
Thanks a lot.
Becuase it involve downtime for the users (the boot in DS restore mode) I
will do it in few days from now.
I will let you know if it was ok.

thanks again !

> Yes, W2k SP2 and above.
>
> Let us know if it helps.
>

> "Gil" wrote:
>
> > Desmond,
> > It will work on windows 2000 SP 4 ???
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > "Desmond Lee" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars> wrote in message
> > > If you can login to the W2k DC with a domain administrator account,
run

> > > setpwd
> > >
> > > to change the DS Restore Mode Administrator Account password on that
DC.

> > > This works only on >= W2k SP2.
> > >
> > > HTH.

> > important

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:28:24 +0200, "Gil" <lior_ml@hotmail.com> wrote:

>hi,
>I do not have the directory services restore mode password of an important
>server. (the company that installed the server does not work with us any
>more, and they also do not have the password).
>Somone knows an application or a way to find out what is the direcroty
>services password of a win2000 server ???
>ideas ???

Just out of interest, what is it you want to do in DS Restore Mode? It
seems a little odd that you want to use DS restore mode but don't want
to take the machine down for a few days?

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Good tip, Desmond. I wasn't aware of that. It could come in useful.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 04:01:05 -0800, "Desmond Lee"

--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

You can also do this remotely without rebooting the server in question

setpwd /s:servername

After you pressed Enter, you will be prompted for the new password

--

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services