Problems Logging On

Mike

Splendid

Windows XP loads, and then when I click on a user it
starts to load my preferences, but then automatically logs
me out. I can't even log on using Safe Mode.
Any soluations?

From MVP Rick Rogers:

Did you run a spyware removal program lately? The userinit value may have
been corrupted by the removal of blazefind. It adds wsaupdater.exe to the
logon value in the system registry, sometimes appending it, sometimes
replacing it. Running Adaware or other cleaners detects and removes
wsaupdater.exe, but doesn't correct the registry damage. If this is the
case, then you may need to load the registry hive from another installation
and change it. This is the key:

Userinit string value should be:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

On the damaged installations it's one of these:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,

Another "quickie" method of resolution is to load the Recovery Console (see
below), copy userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe from the command prompt, then
restart normally. Once in, go and change the registry value back to what
it's supposed to be and delete the copied file.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

This can also be done by using the 6 disk boot floppy set mentioned in the
above article, as it loads enough of the Recovery Console so that you can
copy the file. This is particularly useful if you have an OEM installation
that includes only a Restore CD, or no disk at all.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User