manually removing child domains

This is actually a 2003 domain. We recently restructured our domain and got
rid of all our child domains and went with an easier single domain and using
OU's and sites to seperate offices. One problem we had was after the users
were migrated why tried demoting the DC's and moving them over. Each time
dcpromo said it couldnt remove information about the domain from the forest
because the syntax was incorrect. So we just did a dcpromo /forceremoval and
then brought them into the new domain and promoted them as dc's. Now when I
go to AD Domains and trusts. The child domains are listed but I can't get rid
of them! I removed all listings in DNS to the child domains and everything
else is working properly.

Please help!

Thanks
Chris

"Chris L." <ChrisL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is actually a 2003 domain. We recently restructured our domain and
got
> rid of all our child domains and went with an easier single domain and
using
> OU's and sites to seperate offices. One problem we had was after the users
> were migrated why tried demoting the DC's and moving them over. Each time
> dcpromo said it couldnt remove information about the domain from the
forest
> because the syntax was incorrect. So we just did a dcpromo /forceremoval
and
> then brought them into the new domain and promoted them as dc's. Now when
> go to AD Domains and trusts. The child domains are listed but I can't get
rid
> of them! I removed all listings in DNS to the child domains and everything
> else is working properly.

Google:
[ NTDSUtil "metadata cleanup" remove DC domain site:microsoft.com ]

Drop the "site:microsoft.com" to get helpful info from non-MS sites.

It's not necessary with the above, but you can also use the Google
keyword "microsoft:" to search just the "Microsoft collection"
whether at MS or not.

In searches where the search terms themselves (e.g., NTDSUtil)
cause such restriction the microsoft: ( <- colon there) collection
term is redundant.

--
Herb Martin

> Please help!
>
> Thanks
> Chris

Thank you both for your help. This has been resolved :)

Thanks again!

As much as I agree with Herb's advice -use Google (or any search engine)!!!

I've got 'em book marked...

-- http://support.microsoft.com/?id=230306
-- http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As much as I agree with Herb's advice -use Google (or any search
engine)!!!

> I've got 'em book marked...
>
> -- http://support.microsoft.com/?id=230306
> -- http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

It a mission of mine and I don't feel like personally
keeping up with more bookmarks.

I can usually search faster than I can find the folder
with the bookmark anyway.

But the real reason is to propagate two ideas:

1) Self-sufficiency

2) Google can (generally) search MS better than MS

Ok, maybe three ideas:

3) The advanced search terms used by Google

--
Herb Martin