htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Hello

I have questions about memory timing and the frequency.

I have recentely bought 2 gb of mushkin. It has standard cas latency 3. I overclock from 667 to 780 and set it to cas latency 4. It is stable. but i hardly see any performance increase.

I have nvidia 4 chipset, btw. when i increase the frequency , the latency goes up. I have heard that lower cas latency is better. Should i set it at default latency 3 or get higher frequency with higher latency. which setting is better and please explain me why.

I appreciate any response from you guys.

Thanks.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hello

I have questions about memory timing and the frequency.

I have recentely bought 2 gb of mushkin. It has standard cas latency 3. I overclock from 667 to 780 and set it to cas latency 4. It is stable. but i hardly see any performance increase.

I have nvidia 4 chipset, btw. when i increase the frequency , the latency goes up. I have heard that lower cas latency is better. Should i set it at default latency 3 or get higher frequency with higher latency. which setting is better and please explain me why.

I appreciate any response from you guys.

Thanks.
It depends on your CPU. If you have a P4, then higher frequency is more important than low latency. With AM2, lower latency seems to be favoured over higher frequency. Actually both settings should perform similarly on either setup.