paulypaul

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Hi everyone I am new to these forums and want some advice from those that are more experianced than myself.

I have a 6800 gt AGP and I want to OC it to push some more juice out of it until I rebuild for DX10. I already DL'ed RivaTuner and added two case fans on top of my 3 case fans already and put a pci card with fans to blow directly on to the card itself. I know the Leadtek 6800gt I am getting back (RMA'ed) will have 350/1000 or 1100 so what sort of levels of gain can I expect with my cooling and should I be doing anything else besides using the Rivatuner setup ( I havent used it before so I only know there is a slider with the frequencies) ??? BIOS?

THanks for any replies and bear with me I am a "newbie" to OCing or doing anything too technical.

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
In Rivatuner. press the button under driver settings and choose system settings.
Tick. Enable driver-level overclocking.

Now you are redy to start overclocking. Just puch the slides a little to the right and press the test button. If rivatuner accepts the new frec. press apply.

Causion. don't try to overclock to much at once. Make a small overclock and testrun in some game.

You should be able to reach something like 400 on the core speed. I dont know what speed you can reach on the memory.

I think your cooler is better then the reference cooler, so you should be fine.

paulypaul

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Besides the Rivatuner slider changes is there anything else I can do to OC, or is this the safest and easiest way to OC without getting into anything to crazy?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
For a little more cooling, remove the coolers from the core and memory, and use isoproyl alcohol to clean off the existing thermal grease. Then apply a small amount of Arctic Silver onto the core and memory, spread it around, and reinstall the coolers. If your card is the PX6800GT, then it has a better cooler than the other 6800GT cards. You should be able to hit 400+ on the core, and 1100+ on the memory.

Gar

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
I bought my 6800GT back in Oct of 2004 and that thing is still hauling... I am still surprised that my old machine is still able to play today's games at decent framerates and such.

I did some testing a little bit ago and I was able to get over 5900 in 3DMark05 with the PNY 6800GT. I will put some links down so you can see the screenshots and see the specs and such of the system. I really need to upgrade, but for paying $1300 for the system 2 years ago, I think that I have really gotten my moneys worth out of it.

I did replace the stock cooler (it was crap) with the NV5, I also did some lapping to the NV5 and I used AS5 as well. The card idles at about 48c and under load it is at about 58c or so... but I have been able to OC the card to 433Mhz on the core (stock is 350!!) and then 1.22Ghz on the Memory (stock is 1Ghz). I think that is damn good, if I push the card anymore... I get some crazy results. I also have the CPU OC'd like a madman.... check out the results. It just goes to show you that if you build a rock solid system, you can OC the crap outta it and get your moneys worth for sure!!

3DMark05
Aquamark
Chipset
CPU
Memory
Motherboard
Video Card

I told my buddy about this and he didnt believe me until I showed him all of the screens, Old technology isnt as useless as some may think!! 8)

Gar

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
I used a Mobile Athlon for my cpu.... dont remeber what the stock speed was off of the top of my head. I know it has been a champ for the two years though. I went for the mobile because it was unlocked and I felt it was the best bang for my buck. You very well might have a better setting.... but I was really posting about the card, not the CPU

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
hi guys, I also have a 6800 card that I want to overclock. I have already softmodded it to open all 16 pipelines and 6 vertex shaders but its still not really up to playing FEAR very respectably (maybe it never will).

However, when I move the slider even 1mhz in Rivatuner it says "the driver failed to pass the internal test with the clock frequencies you are about to set" - is this related to the latest Forceware drivers, because as I open Rivatuner it says "warning, Rivatuner has not been tested with the currently installed display drivers" etc etc - I am using the latest release of rivatuner 2.0 16

Also, if I can get it working, is it well worth buying and installing a better heatsink than the reference one (its POV card) to get faster speeds?

any help appreciated!

EDIT: also, I have done the coolbits regedit thing and tried it in the Nvidia control panel and it says "the test failed to run at selected frequencies, please lower your settings and try again" - even when i put the clock frequencies 1mhz LOWER than stock speeds! DAMN!

Gar

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
What type of 6800 is it? What did you use to softmod the card? In my opinion yes it is worth getting something like the NV5, keep my card cool :)

Are you using Rivatuner and coolbit together? What version of forceware drivers are you using... maybe we can figure this out if you fill in the blanks

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
heya! its a standard 6800 (not GS,GT, or ultra)

I used Rivatuner to decloak the hardware masked 4 pixel pipelines and 1 extra vertex shader

I have tried both coolbits and rivatuner to overclock the card, with no luck, even raising or dropping the core frequency 1 or 2mhz above OR BELOW stock speeds

The drivers I am using are:
ForceWare Release 90
Version: 91.47
Release Date: September 14, 2006

are these incompatible with overclocking or something?

Gar

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Im not sure.... I would start with changing out the heatsink and putting down some AS5, not sure if that would help you OC, but it is worth a shot. If you can I would get a NV5 and lap it really well... maybe someone else knows of another good cooler too. Have you tried looking on some other forums about this? Im not sure about the standard 6800. My buddy has a 6800GS and he is able to OC a little bit, not too much though.

Let me know what you find, Im interested now!

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Im not sure.... I would start with changing out the heatsink and putting down some AS5, not sure if that would help you OC, but it is worth a shot. If you can I would get a NV5 and lap it really well... maybe someone else knows of another good cooler too. Have you tried looking on some other forums about this? Im not sure about the standard 6800. My buddy has a 6800GS and he is able to OC a little bit, not too much though.

Let me know what you find, Im interested now!

ok, im going to stick an MSI Coppper Ultra on it, see what happens, but its weird that i cant even drop the clock one megahertz let alone raise it!