Private IP registered in DNS

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

We have a remote DC with a private address and need to allow replication.

We have configured our servers to use the public address of the router at
the remote site and everything works correctly until the remote server
registers its private address in AD DNS.

How do we prevent our servers attempting to contact the remote server on its
private address?

Hello Simon,
Have a look at: Active Directory communication fails on multihomed domain
controllers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272294

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Simon" <reply@togroup.com> skrev i meddelandet
> We have a remote DC with a private address and need to allow replication.
>
> We have configured our servers to use the public address of the router at
> the remote site and everything works correctly until the remote server
> registers its private address in AD DNS.
>
> How do we prevent our servers attempting to contact the remote server on
> its
> private address?

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:25:07 -0000, "Simon" <reply@togroup.com> wrote:

>We have a remote DC with a private address and need to allow replication.
>
>We have configured our servers to use the public address of the router at
>the remote site and everything works correctly until the remote server
>registers its private address in AD DNS.
>
>How do we prevent our servers attempting to contact the remote server on its
>private address?

The best way would be a tunnel or VPN between your two sites. Then
logically, they can be part of the same network, and your remote site
can register its IP address with DNS without problems.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:23:57 +0100, "Chriss3 [MVP]"
<noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote:

>Hello Simon,
>Have a look at: Active Directory communication fails on multihomed domain
>controllers
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272294

Hi Chris, the way I read it they do not have a multi-homed server. It
seems to me that this is a classic case for a small VPN.

Cheers,

Cliff