epson stylus photo R1800 or 2100

Fluffy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002

Was considering the 2100 <2200 in US> then saw that the R1800 is coming out
<already out?> in the UK, so trying to decide between the two.I'm looking
for A3, maybe up to A3+ with archival inks for printing artwork and photos.
Been Googling and getting confused!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Fiona

shooter

I think you will find the problems with the 2100 ie Bronzing has been sorted
out with the R1800. If like me your wish to print good quality glossy prints
and if you wish to print them on a 2100 you have to change to dye ink. With
the 2100 I have to nozzle check every day to stop having to clean heads even
on a small misfire, Pigmented ink used with the 2100 seems to block more
easily than dye ink, but of course the prints don't last as long with dye
ink. I get round this by keeping all my camera files and re-printing if and
when I need to.

"Fluffy" <FluffyFifi_1@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Was considering the 2100 <2200 in US> then saw that the R1800 is coming
out
> <already out?> in the UK, so trying to decide between the two.I'm looking
> for A3, maybe up to A3+ with archival inks for printing artwork and
photos.
> Been Googling and getting confused!
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Fiona

Douglas

I had the 2200,and did have clogging problems.Then bought the R800,and for
about 9 months now,have had NO clogging at all.It is not my main printer,so
it goes as long as a week without use.I use only genuine Epson cartridges.I
did also own a Canon 9900 for several months.It is a very good
printer,better than the newer Pixma series printers!If the R1800 was
available,I would have bought it,after my luck with the R800.It all comes
down to do you want,or need the longest life prints.I sell my prints,so
there is no choice to make.If that is what you intend to do,I would get the
R1800! My Epson 4000 gets most of my print work,but it is huge by
comparison.I also use a cont.ink system with my 4000.I am sure they will be
selling those for the R1800 soon.
"Fluffy" <FluffyFifi_1@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Was considering the 2100 <2200 in US> then saw that the R1800 is coming
> out <already out?> in the UK, so trying to decide between the two.I'm
> looking for A3, maybe up to A3+ with archival inks for printing artwork
> and photos. Been Googling and getting confused!
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Fiona

The R1800 reduces the problem Epson has had when printing with pigmented
inks on glossy paper because it has a gloss optimizer. If you do not
sell your prints and want the most striking glossy prints available in
that size I would consider the Canon i9900. It has the advantage of
more vivid and striking results and far lower ink costs. You should
also make yourself aware of the issue of longevity and try to determine
how much of an issue that will be with you.

Fluffy wrote:

>Was considering the 2100 <2200 in US> then saw that the R1800 is coming out
><already out?> in the UK, so trying to decide between the two.I'm looking
>for A3, maybe up to A3+ with archival inks for printing artwork and photos.
>Been Googling and getting confused!
>
>Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Fiona

Another argument for the Canon i9900. This printer topped the majority
of professional reviews and is $150 cheaper than the Epson R1800. A
full set of OEM carts at Costco for the Canon is about $75.00.

Shooter wrote:

>I think you will find the problems with the 2100 ie Bronzing has been sorted
>out with the R1800. If like me your wish to print good quality glossy prints
>and if you wish to print them on a 2100 you have to change to dye ink. With
>the 2100 I have to nozzle check every day to stop having to clean heads even
>on a small misfire, Pigmented ink used with the 2100 seems to block more
>easily than dye ink, but of course the prints don't last as long with dye
>ink. I get round this by keeping all my camera files and re-printing if and
>when I need to.
>
>"Fluffy" <FluffyFifi_1@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>Was considering the 2100 <2200 in US> then saw that the R1800 is coming
>>

>out
>

>><already out?> in the UK, so trying to decide between the two.I'm looking
>>for A3, maybe up to A3+ with archival inks for printing artwork and
>>

>photos.
>

>>Been Googling and getting confused!
>>
>>Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>
>>Fiona

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:33:41 GMT, "Fluffy"
<FluffyFifi_1@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Was considering the 2100 <2200 in US> then saw that the R1800 is coming out
><already out?> in the UK, so trying to decide between the two.I'm looking
>for A3, maybe up to A3+ with archival inks for printing artwork and photos.
>Been Googling and getting confused!
>
>Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>
>Many thanks,

Hi Fiona,

I've got the 2100 and it's brilliant. However, if I was buying now I'd
get the 1800, unless I needed something bigger. The 1800 has more
inks and the gloss optimizer and you'll get wonderful prints. I don't
know if they still do it, but if you contact Epson (www.epson.co.uk)
they are usually happy to send out a sample print.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Robert

Where can one buy bulk dye ink for the 2200?

rtm

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:25:24 GMT, "Robert" <joeblow@blowjo.net> wrote:

>Where can one buy bulk dye ink for the 2200?

You can't. It uses pigment ink.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Robert wrote:

>Where can one buy bulk dye ink for the 2200?
>
>rtm
>"Douglas" <.> wrote in message news:eek:-qdnVDFgMVbDPvfRVn-pw@centurytel.net...
>

>>I had the 2200,and did have clogging problems.Then bought the R800,and for
>>about 9 months now,have had NO clogging at all.It is not my main printer,so
>>it goes as long as a week without use.
>>

>>*I use only genuine Epson cartridges.*

That is why you are not having problems.

>>did also own a Canon 9900 for several months.It is a very good
>>printer,better than the newer Pixma series printers!If the R1800 was
>>available,I would have bought it,after my luck with the R800.It all comes
>>down to do you want,or need the longest life prints.
>>

>>*I sell my prints,*

That is why he needs longevity over vibrancy and speed.

>>so
>>there is no choice to make.If that is what you intend to do,I would get
>>the R1800! My Epson 4000 gets most of my print work,but it is huge by
>>comparison.I also use a cont.ink system with my 4000.I am sure they will be
>>selling those for the R1800 soon.
>>"Fluffy" <FluffyFifi_1@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>

>>>Was considering the 2100 <2200 in US> then saw that the R1800 is coming
>>>out <already out?> in the UK, so trying to decide between the two.I'm
>>>looking for A3, maybe up to A3+ with archival inks for printing artwork
>>>and photos. Been Googling and getting confused!
>>>
>>>Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>>>
>>>Many thanks,
>>>
>>>Fiona

shooter

Not so, If you change to dye ink which is available from many resellers you
get rid of the Bronzing and are able to produce first class glossy prints as
well as semigloss I have been using dye ink in my 2100 / 2200 for about a
year and have less trouble with clogs than with pigmented. The 2100/2200
will handle dye ink with no problem whatsoever.

Shooter wrote:

>Not so, If you change to dye ink which is available from many resellers you
>get rid of the Bronzing and are able to produce first class glossy prints as
>well as semigloss I have been using dye ink in my 2100 / 2200 for about a
>year and have less trouble with clogs than with pigmented. The 2100/2200
>will handle dye ink with no problem whatsoever.

If someone uses dye ink in a pigmented Epson printer to get decent
results without a head clog then why not purchase a Canon i9900 and have
the best from the beginning.

>"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>

>>On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:25:24 GMT, "Robert" <joeblow@blowjo.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Where can one buy bulk dye ink for the 2200?
>>>

>>You can't. It uses pigment ink.
>>
>> --
>>
>>Hecate - The Real One
>>Hecate@newsguy.com
>>Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>>you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

Robert

Where do you get the dyebased ink for the 2200? Hecate's answer was
irrelevant. I have a CIS for the 2200.
rtm
"Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Not so, If you change to dye ink which is available from many resellers
> you
> get rid of the Bronzing and are able to produce first class glossy prints
> as
> well as semigloss I have been using dye ink in my 2100 / 2200 for about a
> year and have less trouble with clogs than with pigmented. The 2100/2200
> will handle dye ink with no problem whatsoever.
>
> "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:25:24 GMT, "Robert" <joeblow@blowjo.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Where can one buy bulk dye ink for the 2200?
>> >
>> You can't. It uses pigment ink.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Hecate - The Real One
>> Hecate@newsguy.com
>> Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>> you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

shooter

I get my ink from Everest Mini King Continuous Ink Systems. The sell 7x100ml
for £28 plus shipping. Benny is the guy to contact at
china_red@members.v21.co.uk and he's in Liverpool UK. Hope this is of help.

"Robert" <joeblow@blowjo.net> wrote in message
> Where do you get the dyebased ink for the 2200? Hecate's answer was
> irrelevant. I have a CIS for the 2200.
> rtm
> "Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Not so, If you change to dye ink which is available from many resellers
> > you
> > get rid of the Bronzing and are able to produce first class glossy
prints
> > as
> > well as semigloss I have been using dye ink in my 2100 / 2200 for about
> > year and have less trouble with clogs than with pigmented. The 2100/2200
> > will handle dye ink with no problem whatsoever.
> >
> > "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> >> You can't. It uses pigment ink.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Hecate - The Real One
> >> Hecate@newsguy.com
> >> Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
> >> you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:11:08 +0000 (UTC), "Shooter"
<photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Not so, If you change to dye ink which is available from many resellers you
>get rid of the Bronzing and are able to produce first class glossy prints as
>well as semigloss I have been using dye ink in my 2100 / 2200 for about a
>year and have less trouble with clogs than with pigmented. The 2100/2200
>will handle dye ink with no problem whatsoever.

OK. It's just that all the manufacturers of good quality ink will, of
course, match the ink to the printer. Plus, if you only want images
that last for a short time, the 2100 is a bit of overkill. After all,
you purchase that printer because of it's inks and for print
longevity. Using dye inks in it is pointless.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:28:12 GMT, "Robert" <joeblow@blowjo.net> wrote:

>Where do you get the dyebased ink for the 2200? Hecate's answer was
>irrelevant. I have a CIS for the 2200.

Guess what. SO do I. It uses pigment inks.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

shooter

A couple of points, first the 2100 is not overkill as a dye ink machine. If
you require bronzing free prints also it produces A3 if required and allows
the use of roll paper, it also cuts to size. I do not sell my prints but do
show them and have not had a problem with fading.

If you go back to using film cameras and slide or negatives the prints
produced by a process house would also fade, there is far to much fuss about
how long ink prints will last, hell 75yrs I will be dead and gone by then
but my work will be stored safe on CD and who knows what printers will be
available in 75yrs to re-produce my work .So again I do not believe you
purchase a printer because of what ink it uses.

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:18:39 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Shooter wrote:
>
>>Not so, If you change to dye ink which is available from many resellers you
>>get rid of the Bronzing and are able to produce first class glossy prints as
>>well as semigloss I have been using dye ink in my 2100 / 2200 for about a
>>year and have less trouble with clogs than with pigmented. The 2100/2200
>>will handle dye ink with no problem whatsoever.
>>

>If someone uses dye ink in a pigmented Epson printer to get decent
>results without a head clog then why not purchase a Canon i9900 and have
>the best from the beginning.

What the Best Head Rot, do you realy know what you are talking about..?

>>"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message

>>>You can't. It uses pigment ink.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>>Hecate - The Real One
>>>Hecate@newsguy.com
>>>Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>>>you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

Robert

You're absolutely right Shooter. I'll be glad if I last as long as my dye
based ink pictures.

Hecate wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:11:08 +0000 (UTC), "Shooter"
><photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Not so, If you change to dye ink which is available from many resellers you
>>get rid of the Bronzing and are able to produce first class glossy prints as
>>well as semigloss I have been using dye ink in my 2100 / 2200 for about a
>>year and have less trouble with clogs than with pigmented. The 2100/2200
>>will handle dye ink with no problem whatsoever.
>>

>OK. It's just that all the manufacturers of good quality ink will,

And who exactly are these manufacturerS of good quality ink you
mention. The only manufacturer I have heard on this NG is Sensinet and
they do not sell any consumer product under their own name. And that is
unfortunate.

CSE wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:18:39 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Shooter wrote:
>>

>>>Not so, If you change to dye ink which is available from many resellers you
>>>get rid of the Bronzing and are able to produce first class glossy prints as
>>>well as semigloss I have been using dye ink in my 2100 / 2200 for about a
>>>year and have less trouble with clogs than with pigmented. The 2100/2200
>>>will handle dye ink with no problem whatsoever.
>>>

>>If someone uses dye ink in a pigmented Epson printer to get decent
>>results without a head clog then why not purchase a Canon i9900 and have
>>the best from the beginning.
>>

>What the Best Head Rot, do you realy know what you are talking about..?
>

>>>"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message

Yes - I guess the i9900 is not for the tinkerers.

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 09:56:40 +0000 (UTC), "Shooter"
<photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>A couple of points, first the 2100 is not overkill as a dye ink machine. If
>you require bronzing free prints also it produces A3 if required and allows
>the use of roll paper, it also cuts to size. I do not sell my prints but do
>show them and have not had a problem with fading.

And how long have you been using dye ink?

If you want to see the difference take a look at, for example, Wilhelm
Research. If you're in the UK, then PC Pro from about 3-4 months ago
was comparing inks. Guess what, dye inks (especially Canon) didn't
last very long.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:03:29 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>>OK. It's just that all the manufacturers of good quality ink will,
>>

>And who exactly are these manufacturerS of good quality ink you
>mention. The only manufacturer I have heard on this NG is Sensinet and
>they do not sell any consumer product under their own name. And that is
>unfortunate.

OK, I've mentioned them dozens of times already, but here's two:
Permajet and Lyson.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Hecate wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:03:29 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>>>OK. It's just that all the manufacturers of good quality ink will,
>>>

>>And who exactly are these manufacturerS of good quality ink you
>>mention. The only manufacturer I have heard on this NG is Sensinet and
>>they do not sell any consumer product under their own name. And that is
>>unfortunate.
>>

>OK, I've mentioned them dozens of times already, but here's two:
>Permajet and Lyson.

They only seem to specialize in inks for Epson and pigmented only.

> --
>
>Hecate - The Real One
>Hecate@newsguy.com
>Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
>you don't have, to impress people you don't like...

shooter

You should be aware that the R1800 is not a replacement for the 2100/2200
that will follow later in the year with the 2400 Australia model, so UK and
US will most likely be different.

"Fluffy" <FluffyFifi_1@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Was considering the 2100 <2200 in US> then saw that the R1800 is coming
out
> <already out?> in the UK, so trying to decide between the two.I'm looking
> for A3, maybe up to A3+ with archival inks for printing artwork and
photos.
> Been Googling and getting confused!
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Fiona

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Shooter wrote:

> You should be aware that the R1800 is not a replacement for the 2100/2200
> that will follow later in the year with the 2400 Australia model, so UK and
> US will most likely be different.

They are saying that the 2100 is discontinued in Australia with the
release of the R1800.

http://www.ausmedia.com.au/ij_epson.htm

but I am not buying my pair of R1800's from them as there service is
lacking also I have now found it $170 cheaper elsewhere.

> "Fluffy" <FluffyFifi_1@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Was considering the 2100 <2200 in US> then saw that the R1800 is coming
>
> out
>
>><already out?> in the UK, so trying to decide between the two.I'm looking
>>for A3, maybe up to A3+ with archival inks for printing artwork and
>
> photos.
>
>>Been Googling and getting confused!
>>
>>Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>
>>Fiona

TRENDING THREADS