Forcfully (manually) removing a domain

Hi,

As per the advice that I got here, I followed what KB 216498 said and I
successfully removed a domain from Active Directory. The domain that was
removed was had a trust relationship with our current (surviving) domain and
consequently at the logon screen of the computers it was listed as an
available domain to log onto. My question has a couple of parts---1) Now
that I've removed the trust and the computer metadata from AD, will that
disappear on the workstations, or do I have to manually remove it as well?
and 2) We want to rejoin the computer that was removed and we want to keep
the same domain and computer name. Will this cause any problems if that
domain is still listed on the workstations before it is rejoined?

Thank you in advance for any help that can be given, and let me know if I
outlined our problem clearly.

-John

"John Rosenlof" <greyseal96@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> As per the advice that I got here, I followed what KB 216498 said and I
> successfully removed a domain from Active Directory. The domain that was
> removed was had a trust relationship with our current (surviving) domain
and
> consequently at the logon screen of the computers it was listed as an
> available domain to log onto. My question has a couple of parts---1) Now
> that I've removed the trust and the computer metadata from AD, will that
> disappear on the workstations, or do I have to manually remove it as well?
> and 2) We want to rejoin the computer that was removed and we want to keep
> the same domain and computer name. Will this cause any problems if that
> domain is still listed on the workstations before it is rejoined?

It should disappear after the domain and it's trust are gone,
replicated etc.

IF this was an external trust you should also deleted this
from the machine domain.

--
Herb Martin

> -John

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the help.
A couple of questions--
How long should it take to remove itself from the list? It's been a few
days and it's still there?
What is an external trust?

Thank you
-John

> Thanks for the response. I appreciate the help.
> A couple of questions--
> How long should it take to remove itself from the list? It's been a few
> days and it's still there?
> What is an external trust?

Generally it should remove on the next boot after
replication of the DCs.

Once the DCs don't know about the trust (it is removed)
and the machine rebuilds (re-queries) from the DCs this
should go.

One must wonder if your DCs are replicating and if the
machines are properly authenticating with (a replicated)
DC.

PT mentioned WINS issues but that is generally only
an issue for domains and servers continuing to show
up in the BROWSE lists.

(The code in the GINA which builds the logon list of
domains does not use directly -- except may to find
it's own DC. GINA==logon screen)

The machines do however remember that list (I believe)
between boots, in case they are offline, and so it can
survive reboots if the machine is not authenticating.

Most authentication problems are really DNS issues
in Win2000+ Domains:

DNS for AD
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2

Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
affects a DC and/or use:

nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

--
Herb Martin

> Thank you
> -John
> > "John Rosenlof" <greyseal96@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > As per the advice that I got here, I followed what KB 216498 said and
> > > successfully removed a domain from Active Directory. The domain that
> was
> > > removed was had a trust relationship with our current (surviving)
domain
> > and
> > > consequently at the logon screen of the computers it was listed as an
> > > available domain to log onto. My question has a couple of parts---1)
> Now
> > > that I've removed the trust and the computer metadata from AD, will
that
> > > disappear on the workstations, or do I have to manually remove it as
> well?
> > > and 2) We want to rejoin the computer that was removed and we want to
> keep
> > > the same domain and computer name. Will this cause any problems if
that
> > > domain is still listed on the workstations before it is rejoined?
> >
> > It should disappear after the domain and it's trust are gone,
> > replicated etc.
> >
> > IF this was an external trust you should also deleted this
> > from the machine domain.
> >
> > > Thank you in advance for any help that can be given, and let me know
if
> > > outlined our problem clearly.
> >

> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > -John

> 1) Now that I've removed the trust and the computer metadata from AD, will
> that disappear on the workstations, or do I have to manually remove it as
> well?

There's no metadata on non-NT5.x DCs.

> 2) We want to rejoin the computer that was removed and we want to keep the
> same domain and computer name. Will this cause any problems if that
> domain is still listed on the workstations before it is rejoined?

Err...do you mean you wish to create a new domain with the same machine and
name, etc.?

If so, the fact that the NetBT Name is still showing will probably cause a
NetBT name conflict.

If you have a WINS server you will need to prune the database -to remove the
now-stale registrations for this domain.

You may also need to remove this NetBT name from each workstations NetBT
domain-list cache. This is a parameter underneath the Winlogon registry
key. However, once you prune it from WINS things will probably be OK.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

[...]

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.
We don't have a WINS server. We are just running Win2kServer with DNS. We
had a server in another root domain get its OS re-installed and the person
just gave it it's old name again. In addition to the fact that the trust
was never cleanly broken, this caused problems. I went through the
procedure for metadata cleanup last week, as the KB article 216498 showed,
but the name of the old domain is still showing up at the logon screen of
all the computers in the domain. You mentioned that there was a key or a
value in the registry that I could delete to take that out. Is this the
only option now, or should I wait a little while longer? If that is the
case, will I have to manually do that on each computer in the domain, or is
there some sort of "refresh" that I could do to force all of the computers
to receive that change?

Thanks,
-John
"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > 1) Now that I've removed the trust and the computer metadata from AD,
will
> > that disappear on the workstations, or do I have to manually remove it
as
> > well?
>
> There's no metadata on non-NT5.x DCs.
>

> > 2) We want to rejoin the computer that was removed and we want to keep
the
> > same domain and computer name. Will this cause any problems if that
> > domain is still listed on the workstations before it is rejoined?
>
> Err...do you mean you wish to create a new domain with the same machine
and
> name, etc.?
>
> If so, the fact that the NetBT Name is still showing will probably cause a
> NetBT name conflict.
>
> If you have a WINS server you will need to prune the database -to remove
the
> now-stale registrations for this domain.
>
> You may also need to remove this NetBT name from each workstations NetBT
> domain-list cache. This is a parameter underneath the Winlogon registry
> key. However, once you prune it from WINS things will probably be OK.
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "John Rosenlof" <greyseal96@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> As per the advice that I got here, I followed what KB 216498 said and I
> successfully removed a domain from Active Directory. The domain that was
> removed was had a trust relationship with our current (surviving) domain
and
> consequently at the logon screen of the computers it was listed as an
> available domain to log onto. My question has a couple of parts---1) Now
> that I've removed the trust and the computer metadata from AD, will that
> disappear on the workstations, or do I have to manually remove it as well?
> and 2) We want to rejoin the computer that was removed and we want to keep
> the same domain and computer name. Will this cause any problems if that
> domain is still listed on the workstations before it is rejoined?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help that can be given, and let me know if I
> outlined our problem clearly.
>
> -John

The registry value for the cache is:

HKLM\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon\ DomainCache

This is on a per-machine basis.

However, as Herb said, this should disappear upon reboot of workstations
(and within a couple of hours from the browse list) when the domain and the
trust are gone. You mention kb216498 but you've not stated whether or not
you followed kb230306:
-- http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=230306

kb216498 is for the unsuccessful removal of a DC within an existing domain;
kb230306 is for removing an 'orphaned' domain.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"John Rosenlof" wrote:

> [...]
> > Hi,
> >
> > As per the advice that I got here, I followed what KB 216498 said and I
> > successfully removed a domain from Active Directory. The domain that was
> > removed was had a trust relationship with our current (surviving) domain
> and
> > consequently at the logon screen of the computers it was listed as an
> > available domain to log onto. My question has a couple of parts---1) Now
> > that I've removed the trust and the computer metadata from AD, will that
> > disappear on the workstations, or do I have to manually remove it as well?
> > and 2) We want to rejoin the computer that was removed and we want to keep
> > the same domain and computer name. Will this cause any problems if that
> > domain is still listed on the workstations before it is rejoined?
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any help that can be given, and let me know if I

Very interesting indeed!!! So Winlogon doesn't pull the domain name(s) from
WINS? Where does it grab this info. from then? I noticed a forum post
stating that the reg key that I listed in my other post pulls this cache from
WINS -not that I doubt you over them, I'm just interested in all of this -I
like to understand ;-)

Could you explain how MSGINA builds the domain list please Herb?

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com.donotspam> wrote in message
> Very interesting indeed!!! So Winlogon doesn't pull the domain name(s)
from
> WINS? Where does it grab this info. from then? I noticed a forum post
> stating that the reg key that I listed in my other post pulls this cache
from
> WINS -not that I doubt you over them, I'm just interested in all of
this -I
> like to understand ;-)
>
> Could you explain how MSGINA builds the domain list please Herb?

It gets the trusted list from it's own (P or B or 2k)DC
-- the one the machine authenticates with and sets up
a secure channel.

The trust list is a fixed list with the domain database.
(NT SAM or Win2000+ AD.)

It has to be this way so that ONLY trusted domains
appear in the list.

Browsing is NOT controlled by trusts (as I am sure
pt knows) even though many people believe that so
the BROWSE domain list is retrieved from the
Helper Browser with the Master Browser providing
the list of Helper Browsers.

The Master Browser gets the (foreign) domain list
from the Domain Master Browser which gets the
list through any/all of broadcast, lmhosts, or WINS.

The reason for this is that a user might have multiple
domain accounts and not need the trust to access
resources.

--
Herb Martin

Thanks again for the info. That helped out because just to check on the
authentication, I unplugged my PC from the ethernet port and attempted to
sign on to the domain. It signed on without a problem which tells me that
it is caching the info and not refreshing it. How do fix this? Is it a
setting in GP? The DC's are both replicating properly and the DNS records
are cleaned of the old domain. I just can't get that stupid domain to not
be listed on the logon screen.

About the GINA--could you either explain that a little more or refer me to
an article that explains it? I've never heard about it, and I'm always open
to learning new stuff.
Thanks!
-John

> Thanks again for the info. That helped out because just to check on the
> authentication, I unplugged my PC from the ethernet port and attempted to
> sign on to the domain. It signed on without a problem which tells me that
> it is caching the info and not refreshing it. How do fix this?

That part is normal. It is so a machine can log you
onto (your own) machine when it travels or the net
is down (e.g., a laptop.)

> Is it a
> setting in GP? The DC's are both replicating properly and the DNS records
> are cleaned of the old domain. I just can't get that stupid domain to not
> be listed on the logon screen.

You can change the number of cached logons but let's
fix the real problem first.

It's probably a DNS issue:

DNS for AD
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2

Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
affects a DC and/or use:

nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

> About the GINA--could you either explain that a little more or refer me to
> an article that explains it? I've never heard about it, and I'm always
open
> to learning new stuff.

It's not usually imporatant -- I just happen to have worked
with the signon source code, writing and advising on the
writing of a custom GINA: Graphical Identification 'n
Authentication.

You can search for something like this through Google:

[ msgina microsoft: ]
or
[ msgina site:microsoft.com ]
or
[ msgina site:msdn.microsoft.com ]

--
Herb Martin

Great stuff!!!

Thanks Herb!

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com.donotspam> wrote in message
> Very interesting indeed!!! So Winlogon doesn't pull the domain name(s)
from
> WINS? Where does it grab this info. from then? I noticed a forum post
> stating that the reg key that I listed in my other post pulls this cache
from
> WINS -not that I doubt you over them, I'm just interested in all of
this -I
> like to understand ;-)
>
> Could you explain how MSGINA builds the domain list please Herb?

It gets the trusted list from it's own (P or B or 2k)DC
-- the one the machine authenticates with and sets up
a secure channel.

The trust list is a fixed list with the domain database.
(NT SAM or Win2000+ AD.)

It has to be this way so that ONLY trusted domains
appear in the list.

Browsing is NOT controlled by trusts (as I am sure
pt knows) even though many people believe that so
the BROWSE domain list is retrieved from the
Helper Browser with the Master Browser providing
the list of Helper Browsers.

The Master Browser gets the (foreign) domain list
from the Domain Master Browser which gets the
list through any/all of broadcast, lmhosts, or WINS.

The reason for this is that a user might have multiple
domain accounts and not need the trust to access
resources.

--
Herb Martin

I went in and changed the DNS settings to what you instructed. We have two
DC's doing DNS and the forward lookup zones for our domain were both doing
dynamic update. The reverse lookup zones were not doing it for our subnet
so I set it to do so. I made the setting to both DC's and it appears that
they both show the change as being made, although I'm not exactly sure on
how to verify that other than looking in the DNS mmc on each computer. I
then set the workstations and servers to use only those two DC's for DNS and
verified that they are set that way through ipconfig. I restarted netlogon
on the two DC's. The name of the removed domain is still listed at the
logon screen. Is there something else that I can do to remove it? Do I
just take the setting out of the registry, or is there something more?
Thanks for your patience and your help. And also, thanks for the info about
GINA.

-John

> I went in and changed the DNS settings to what you instructed. We have
two
> DC's doing DNS and the forward lookup zones for our domain were both doing
> dynamic update. The reverse lookup zones were not doing it for our subnet
> so I set it to do so.

Good, doing that for the reverse zones is fine but it
was not likely to have causing you any troubles --
reverse zones are nearly as important as many people
seem to think.

> I made the setting to both DC's and it appears that
> they both show the change as being made, although I'm not exactly sure on
> how to verify that other than looking in the DNS mmc on each computer. I

Dynamic? Just watch to see if new records appear...or
get corrected or just make sure that nothing you need is
missing.

> then set the workstations and servers to use only those two DC's for DNS
and
> verified that they are set that way through ipconfig. I restarted
netlogon
> on the two DC's. The name of the removed domain is still listed at the
> logon screen.

Those domains may still be listed in the trusts.

The reason for fixing the DNS was to make sure the
DCs replicated AND to make sure the clients authenticate,
rather than to fix the problem directly.

> Is there something else that I can do to remove it? Do I
> just take the setting out of the registry, or is there something more?

What setting?

Have you removed the trust from Domains and Trusts
or however you created it...?

> Thanks for your patience and your help. And also, thanks for the info
about
> GINA.

Sure.

--
Herb Martin

> [...]
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > Thanks!
> > > -John
> > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
> > few

SOLELY

> said
> > > and
> > > that
> (surviving)
> as
> > > an
> > > parts---1)
> > will
> it
> > as
> want
> > if
> rejoined?

> > know

> > Is there something else that I can do to remove it? Do I
> > just take the setting out of the registry, or is there something more?

I found a setting in the registry that contains the domains listed at the
logon screen. If I deleted that, I'm assuming that that would solve this.
The only problem that I see with that is that I would have to delete that
value on all of the computers in the network. I'm hoping to find a way to
get the DC's to tell all of the computers.

> Have you removed the trust from Domains and Trusts
> or however you created it...?

Yes and no. The trust is broken, but it is still listed. I cleaned up and
removed all of the stuff in AD, but in Domains and Trusts I can't delete the
icon for the formerly trusted domain. When I right-click it there is no
delete option. I'm not sure, after going through the whole removal process,
how to get that deleted. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again. Merry Christmas.
-John

> > > Is there something else that I can do to remove it? Do I
> > > just take the setting out of the registry, or is there something more?
> >
> > What setting?
>
> I found a setting in the registry that contains the domains listed at the
> logon screen. If I deleted that, I'm assuming that that would solve this.
> The only problem that I see with that is that I would have to delete that
> value on all of the computers in the network. I'm hoping to find a way to
> get the DC's to tell all of the computers.

I don't think you can hurt anything by removing that
REMOVED domain -- but like all of the MS KBs
on the registry, I warn you to first backup (maybe
it's time for a System State backup anyway).

I would also just write down the key and value so
that I could type it back in.

Chances are it will just come back if the domain is
still known to the DCs.

> > Have you removed the trust from Domains and Trusts
> > or however you created it...?
>
> Yes and no. The trust is broken, but it is still listed. I cleaned up
and
> removed all of the stuff in AD, but in Domains and Trusts I can't delete
the
> icon for the formerly trusted domain. When I right-click it there is no
> delete option. I'm not sure, after going through the whole removal
process,
> how to get that deleted. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You might look to see if there is a Trust delete procedure
for NTDSUtil (or ADSIEdit) -- I do not personally know
of one.

--
Herb Martin

> [...]
DNS
> > and
> > > verified that they are set that way through ipconfig. I restarted
> > netlogon
> > > on the two DC's. The name of the removed domain is still listed at
the
> > > logon screen.
> >
> > Those domains may still be listed in the trusts.
> >
> > The reason for fixing the DNS was to make sure the
> > DCs replicated AND to make sure the clients authenticate,
> > rather than to fix the problem directly.
> >
> > > Is there something else that I can do to remove it? Do I
> > > just take the setting out of the registry, or is there something more?
> >
> > What setting?
> >
> > Have you removed the trust from Domains and Trusts
> > or however you created it...?
> >
> > > Thanks for your patience and your help. And also, thanks for the info

As Herb suggested, you ADSIEDIT (or equiv.) and delete the object (of
class trustedDomain) located beneath the System container within the
domain NC, it will be named after the domain you're trying to remove.

--
Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
MSEtechnology

Herb Martin wrote:
> "John Rosenlof" <greyseal96@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> What setting?
>>
>> I found a setting in the registry that contains the domains listed
>> at the logon screen. If I deleted that, I'm assuming that that
>> would solve this. The only problem that I see with that is that I
>> would have to delete that value on all of the computers in the
>> network. I'm hoping to find a way to get the DC's to tell all of
>> the computers.
>
> I don't think you can hurt anything by removing that
> REMOVED domain -- but like all of the MS KBs
> on the registry, I warn you to first backup (maybe
> it's time for a System State backup anyway).
>
> I would also just write down the key and value so
> that I could type it back in.
>
> Chances are it will just come back if the domain is
> still known to the DCs.
>
>>> Have you removed the trust from Domains and Trusts
>>> or however you created it...?
>>
>> Yes and no. The trust is broken, but it is still listed. I cleaned
>> up and removed all of the stuff in AD, but in Domains and Trusts I
>> can't delete the icon for the formerly trusted domain. When I
>> right-click it there is no delete option. I'm not sure, after going
>> through the whole removal process, how to get that deleted. Any
>> ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> You might look to see if there is a Trust delete procedure
> for NTDSUtil (or ADSIEdit) -- I do not personally know
> of one.
>
>> Thanks again. Merry Christmas.
>> -John
>

>> "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
>>> "John Rosenlof" <greyseal96@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Good, doing that for the reverse zones is fine but it
>>> was not likely to have causing you any troubles --
>>> reverse zones are nearly as important as many people
>>> seem to think.

>>> Dynamic? Just watch to see if new records appear...or
>>> get corrected or just make sure that nothing you need is
>>> missing.

>>> Those domains may still be listed in the trusts.
>>>
>>> The reason for fixing the DNS was to make sure the
>>> DCs replicated AND to make sure the clients authenticate,
>>> rather than to fix the problem directly.

>>> What setting?
>>>
>>> Have you removed the trust from Domains and Trusts
>>> or however you created it...?

>>> Sure.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Herb Martin

> domain

> refer
>>> me

>> been

> 216498
>>> domain
>>> listed
>> AD,
>> remove
>> we
>>> problems

> let
>>> me

You could also use ADSI Edit tool to manually remove orphaned entries. It
worked for me at
least and even the entries in logon list are gone after the next bootup.
after using this tool i could
also remove the trust entries manually
> [...]
> > > removed was had a trust relationship with our current (surviving)
domain
> > and
> > > consequently at the logon screen of the computers it was listed as an
> > > available domain to log onto. My question has a couple of parts---1)
Now
> > > that I've removed the trust and the computer metadata from AD, will
that
> > > disappear on the workstations, or do I have to manually remove it as
well?
> > > and 2) We want to rejoin the computer that was removed and we want to
keep
> > > the same domain and computer name. Will this cause any problems if
that
> > > domain is still listed on the workstations before it is rejoined?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance for any help that can be given, and let me know

Thanks guys,

It worked. I tried to use ADSIEDIT to remove the reference in the place
that was suggested in the Domain NC | System | object of class
trustedDomain, but I couldn't find it. So I used the metadata cleanup
function of ntdsutil and found the domain object and deleted it. As soon as
I did that, all of the computers automatically were updated. I appreciate
all of the help and suggestions.

-John