Home folder not mapping

KatZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2001

After a user upgrades to XP SP2 and reboots all scripts run except for the
one set up in their user properties/profile in active directory users and
computers.
Their home folder profile is: H: \\servername\home\%username%

We recently upgraded our switches to 10/100/1000. The problem has been worse
since then.

I did find an article that suggests creating a Group Policy network timeout
policy.
I could not find where to create in any group policy settings.
Do I edit the registry on the DC?
the suggested edit is:
Creating a Group Policy network start timeout policy
The GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue policy timeout can be specified in the
registry in two locations:• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\Current Version\Winlogon
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
You can do this by adding a DWORD value of GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue
with a number of seconds between 30 and 600.

If Windows finds the timeout value specified in both registry locations, the
value that is stored at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System will take
precedence. Additionally, the value that is stored at that location may have
been pushed there from your Group Policy server after an initial connection
was established.

The value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\Winlogon is useful to specify the timeout for the first connection,
whereas the value that is downloaded from the Group Policy server at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System is used for all
subsequent connections , if it is supplied.

The value specified should be of sufficient duration to make sure that the
connection is made. During the timeout period, Windows examines the
connection status every two seconds and continues with system startup as soon
as the connection is confirmed. Therefore, setting the value larger than the
minimum value of 30 is recommended. However, be advised that if the system is
legitimately disconnected, Windows will stall for the whole timeout period.

thanks

KatZ,

Its sounds like you are grasping at straws a bit here. Moving to
10/100/1000 switches doesn't often cause problems (I'll mention this later)
nor does timeouts on the GPOs, except in exceptional instances.

Things to report back on:
1. Does the home drive ever map? Is it intermittent? On specific machines?
2. Can you map the home drive manually with 'net use h: \\uncpath /home'
3. Do users have file AND share permissions? ownership?
4. Are you using DFS on your home drives?
5. Can you post your scripts?
6. Can users get to their home drives via UNC?

Things to try:
1. Make sure your users have permissions.
2. Make sure you have hard coded the speed and duplex settings on any switch
port connecting to a server, switch, or router. (Including trunk ports)
3. Hardcode speed and duplex on your servers
4. Start a log to look for patterns if it is intermittent.
5. Make sure you are not doing a net use * /delete or killing the Z: mapping
in your script.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"KatZ" <KatZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a user upgrades to XP SP2 and reboots all scripts run except for the
> one set up in their user properties/profile in active directory users and
> computers.
> Their home folder profile is: H: \\servername\home\%username%
>
> We recently upgraded our switches to 10/100/1000. The problem has been
worse
> since then.
>
> I did find an article that suggests creating a Group Policy network
timeout
> policy.
> I could not find where to create in any group policy settings.
> Do I edit the registry on the DC?
> the suggested edit is:
> Creating a Group Policy network start timeout policy
> The GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue policy timeout can be specified in
the
> registry in two locations:. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\Current Version\Winlogon
> . HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
> You can do this by adding a DWORD value of
GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue
> with a number of seconds between 30 and 600.
>
> If Windows finds the timeout value specified in both registry locations,
the
> value that is stored at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System will take
> precedence. Additionally, the value that is stored at that location may
have
> been pushed there from your Group Policy server after an initial
connection
> was established.
>
> The value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
> Version\Winlogon is useful to specify the timeout for the first
connection,
> whereas the value that is downloaded from the Group Policy server at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System is used for
all
> subsequent connections , if it is supplied.
>
> The value specified should be of sufficient duration to make sure that the
> connection is made. During the timeout period, Windows examines the
> connection status every two seconds and continues with system startup as
soon
> as the connection is confirmed. Therefore, setting the value larger than
the
> minimum value of 30 is recommended. However, be advised that if the system
is
> legitimately disconnected, Windows will stall for the whole timeout
period.

> thanks

KatZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2001

Things to report back on:
1. Does the home drive ever map? Yes, successfully everytime for two years
until the Monday following our Gigabyte switch upgrade, in addition all users
that are experiencing this problem also recently auto updated via sus to SP2.

Is it intermittent? yes,
On specific machines? yes.
event iD
Notes:

Event ID on Computers

1054: Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer
network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

1000: Could not execute the following script OPs.BAT. The system cannot find
the file specified.

2. Can you map the home drive manually with 'net use h: \\uncpath /home'
yes
3. Do users have file AND share permissions? ownership? ownership to their
home folders.
4. Are you using DFS on your home drives? no
5. Can you post your scripts?
NET USE H: \\TULIP\HOME\%username%
NET USE L: \\OLYMPIA\APPS\
NET USE M: \\olympia\data
NET USE O: \\TULIP\SHARED
NET USE R: \\LARRY\DATA
NET USE T: \\TULIP\DATA

6. Can users get to their home drives via UNC? YES
Things to try: will do. Thanks
1. Make sure your users have permissions. They do.

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

> [...]
> > Version\Winlogon is useful to specify the timeout for the first
> connection,
> > whereas the value that is downloaded from the Group Policy server at
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System is used for
> all
> > subsequent connections , if it is supplied.
> >
> > The value specified should be of sufficient duration to make sure that the
> > connection is made. During the timeout period, Windows examines the
> > connection status every two seconds and continues with system startup as
> soon
> > as the connection is confirmed. Therefore, setting the value larger than
> the
> > minimum value of 30 is recommended. However, be advised that if the system
> is
> > legitimately disconnected, Windows will stall for the whole timeout

So, in a distinct subset of your workstations there is an intermittent
problem where home drive do not map.

This looks like a naming or network issue.
What model of switch did you put in and what's its firmware level.?
Are you using proxy arp?
While you are having problems, does DNS resolve?
Do you have the appropriate IPHelper lines traversing your subnets?
Do you have PIM on?

--

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:
> [...]
>  > > all
>   > > > subsequent connections , if it is supplied.
>   > > >
>   > > > The value specified should be of sufficient
> duration to make sure that
> the
>   > > > connection is made. During the timeout
> period, Windows examines the
>   > > > connection status every two seconds and
> continues with system startup
> as
>  > > soon
>   > > > as the connection is confirmed. Therefore,
> setting the value larger
> than
>  > > the
>   > > > minimum value of 30 is recommended. However,
> be advised that if the
> system
>  > > is
>   > > > legitimately disconnected, Windows will

Hi,

This may sound like a stupid question, but did you turn off the
Firewall on XP? It automatically turns on with SP 2 and causes lots of
problems.

Cheers,

Lara

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Active-Directory-Home-folder-mapping-ftopict240833.html

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:
> [...]
>  > > soon
>   > > > as the connection is confirmed. Therefore,
> setting the value larger
> than
>  > > the
>   > > > minimum value of 30 is recommended. However,
> be advised that if the
> system
>  > > is
>   > > > legitimately disconnected, Windows will
> stall for the whole timeout
>  > > period.
>   > > >
>   > > > thanks
>   > > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >

Hi,

This may sound like a stupid question, but did you turn off the
Firewall on XP? It automatically turns on with SP 2 and causes lots of

Hi there,

replacing the switches might have an impact, if those switches have the
'port fast' setting disabled.
To avoid trouble between switches, the port is checked ,upon connecting
to it, to make sure there aren't any loops, especially if you have
spanning tree enabled.
That operation may require some time (very relative of course) and
cause a timeout on the logon process, thus avoiding the proper
connection of a session. You could try and disable either 'spanning
tree' or, if you're sure you haven't got any loops anyway, by enabling
'port fast' setting. I have no experience with your brand of switches,
but for the popular cisco 3500 series, this certainly applies,
particularly if the pc connecting is equipped with a 3com XL or EL
network card.
There may be other reasons or solutions to the problem your describe,
but this might be one of them.

Good luck,

Paul

--