Sign in with
Your question

Need help gonna OC friends Computer

Last response: in Memory
July 2, 2006 1:25:20 AM

My friend is going to get a new Conroe cpu when it comes out, and I want to OC it for him. However, I am stumped on ram, I'm looking at DDR2800, will conroe support that?ALso, could someone recommend good overclocking ram, I'm not going to oc the sh*t out of it, just a good oc, and something that wont break the bank. Thanks.

BTW I'm going to get a 2Gb kit(2x1Gb)

More about : gonna friends computer

a b } Memory
July 2, 2006 6:13:02 PM

OCing a friends computer is a bad idea!

Theres no guarantee as to the stability or limitation of any brand new hardware, can you afford to replace your mistakes out of your own pocket, because in my book thats what a friend should do> No questions asked!

Guiding them at their request is one thing, actually doing it yourself is another, you need to at least think about your responsibility in this endeavor, and to what extent you're willing to stand behind what you do!

I had a friend that was going to do something similar took it upon himself like he was the guru of his endeavor, going to show us how smart he was but after 5 hours of not bringing his promises to reality, he gave up and left us with a computer completely dead in the water.

Did he come back to resolve what he'd done?

No!

Who Did?

I DID!

Is he still a friend?

Not Really!

Not like we were!

Because at the time he couldn't afford to fix what he'd messed up!
He originally had good intentions!
But never thought about! What If ??? !!!

So this isn't to insult you, but to get you to think!

What If ???
July 2, 2006 6:29:28 PM

4ryan6 has a very good point. I'd never screw with anything that belongs to one of my friends, unless he/she asked me to.

If you do overclock your friend's CPU, there's a good chance that everything will go smoothly, you'll get a good overclock, and your friend will have a smokin' fast PC. But there's always a chance that something could go wrong, something which can cost you a lot.
Related resources
July 2, 2006 6:35:33 PM

If your friend is going to OC it to game, I suggest insisting to your friend buy a XBOX 360 or PS3 (when it comes out) is a better solution. There are no computer games on the market today that can compare to the resolution and enjoyment of one of these console. Many of the XBOX 360 games out today are optimized for it and look absolutely amazing.

However, if you bud is looking for a dvd ripping machine, I have to advise against that. If you don't know already, ripping and transcoding a copy protected movie is illegal and the possibility of getting in trouble with law enforcement is something to be concerned about.

But if your bud insist on getting a high powered machine, I can't advise on which ram is better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choices in life are only constrained by time. Time is only constrained by a wrong choice or a right one. Choose the right one and time is all you'll have.
July 2, 2006 6:45:35 PM

Quote:
If your friend is going to OC it to game, I suggest insisting to your friend buy a XBOX 360 or PS3 (when it comes out) is a better solution. There are no computer games on the market today that can compare to the resolution and enjoyment of one of these console. Many of the XBOX 360 games out today are optimized for it and look absolutely amazing.

However, if you bud is looking for a dvd ripping machine, I have to advise against that. If you don't know already, ripping and transcoding a copy protected movie is illegal and the possibility of getting in trouble with law enforcement is something to be concerned about.

But if your bud insist on getting a high powered machine, I can't advise on which ram is better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choices in life are only constrained by time. Time is only constrained by a wrong choice or a right one. Choose the right one and time is all you'll have.

The OP never said anything about his friend playing games or ripping DVDs on this computer. This is a PC forum, and the people on this forum play games on their PCs; please stop recommending that they get a $400 toy (xbox 360) with $60 games.
July 2, 2006 6:59:17 PM

I agree with everybody, and that you should NEVER OC a friend's
machine.

Even if everything goes right. If that machine ever has problems.
What did u do to it? Come and fix it.
July 2, 2006 7:37:07 PM

I basically rebuilt my friends pc a little while ago, so he trusts me, and if i did break something i would take responsiblity and buy him a replacement. And he already has an Xbox 360. Is anyone going to actually help with the question or just criticize the fact that I'm going to oc my friends computer. As I said before, I'm not going for a world record oc.
a b } Memory
July 2, 2006 8:01:34 PM

As long as the RAM is the same as in DDR or DDR2 for OCing you'll be better off going with a higher speed capable RAM, it will clock itself down for setup purposes, I flat use Corsair period so all my suggestions would fall in that category, even though RAM in that performance category isn't cheap.

Its important that your choice takes into consideration the CAS settings the RAM will run at when going to 2 1gb Modules, you may not need the LED lights that Corsairs pro series has, but running at CAS 2 straight out of the box without even increasing the Dimm Voltage is a plus in itself.

Now is that enough of a reccomendation for you to go on, or do you need us to go shopping for you too! :) 

DDR2 doesn't run as fast of CAS settings as DDR can but its early in the DDR2 realm It will get faster.

Oh what the hey!
a b } Memory
July 2, 2006 8:18:21 PM

Yea even though I am a Corsair fan, Corsair RAM doesn't run well in every brand M/B and I do know that, there was no initial mention of the intended M/B to be used just a Conroe CPU so we're asked to give advice on partial information, Soooo! Corsair may not even be the brand that should be used, let me try my mind reading. [Puts hands on head] Not getting anything! :D 
July 2, 2006 8:20:24 PM

Quote:
mushkin redline is a good memory,but it all depends on compatibility.
I use ocz platinum ddr2.my motherboard is the limitation in the setup.
AM2 3000+
Tforce 6100 matx(great for a value board)
ocz platinum ddr2 6400
2x seagate sata 3gbs
sapphire x1600 pro overclocked version/gddr3.
audigy 2 platinum.
protools digi 001(need to upgrade to 002)

What are the core/memory speeds on that OC X1600?
July 2, 2006 9:22:03 PM

Quote:
My friend is going to get a new Conroe cpu when it comes out, and I want to OC it for him.

And, because I don't know what I'm doing, I need someone to tell me.

:roll:
July 2, 2006 10:20:59 PM

Quote:
575 core,and like 1380 mem,i will provide a link .but first heres a link for thefriend who want to fry his buddies conroe http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2771
heres my card http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...
ati tool reprts 684 on mem 573 on gpu,the math on mem works out to 1368.
honestly the more i use x1600 the more unimpressed i am,although this one looks much better than the agp version.
good thing the prices are dropping on these,my next card will be at least an x1800,the 128 bus and the ddr2 needs to go, on video cards.as in be discontinued.i should just sell my brothers kids and get me an ultimate x1900xtx crossfire setup.the medium cards are getting on my nerves.
this card ,btw,has no temp sensor.sapphires cheapin it for this model.

So your card is essentially a cut-price X1600XT?
July 2, 2006 10:47:56 PM

Yeah first of all make sure you and your friend have an agreement that if anything get fried or screwed during overclocking that you're not responsible for it. That way he won't pull you to the court with Judge Judy. Anyways for the rams a DDR2800 is a good overclocking rams but you really don't need to spend that much money. I have been using a DDR2533 XMS2 from Corsair. It is very stable at overclocking and works just as good as DDR2800. Overclockers knows that when it comes to selecting rams for overclocking it is more important to have tighter timings than frequency. You can use a DDR2533 and it would able to support the overclocked cpu just as good as the more expensive DDR2800 or even a DDR21066. So as you can see you don't really need to have to pay more for a DDR2800 as with DDR2533 can do overclocking just as well.

Im using DDR2533 and comparing to my buddy's DDR800 at same cpu overclock. With real application I could see any big difference. But with no overclocking the DDR2800 is faster than the DDR2533.
July 2, 2006 11:53:15 PM

Quote:
I basically rebuilt my friends pc a little while ago, so he trusts me, and if i did break something i would take responsiblity and buy him a replacement. And he already has an Xbox 360. Is anyone going to actually help with the question or just criticize the fact that I'm going to oc my friends computer. As I said before, I'm not going for a world record oc.

People responded in a helpful manner - knowing it can cause some
problems - I tried to point out - IF a problem occurs - your friend
might assume it's OCed related -

Maybe - you should of ask the question - without all the fluff -
I need to know what RAM is best for OCing, not, I'm a nice
guy doing my friend a favorite by Ocing his machine, blah. blah.
!