Sign in with
Your question

PSU for conroe system

Last response: in Components
July 2, 2006 2:32:20 AM

I recently bought the FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN ATX12V 400W w/ 12cm Fan for my current system when I upgraded my GPU (6600gt agp). When I build a Conroe system will this be enough with the 7800gt or x1800 GPU? I won't have any heavy duty stuff and do not plan on sli or crossfire. But will the GPU's of tomorrow need more power, like the Geforce 7950?

I thougt I would buy an inexpensive GPU for my current system and take the Fortron out, which brings on another question only if I CAN use the Fortron in a Conroe system. If I can NOT use the Fortron no need to answer this question...Will a p43.2ghz (478pin) with a 6600gt run on an inexpensive 350watt psu?

Thanks!!

Eddie

More about : psu conroe system

July 2, 2006 2:59:11 AM

the FSP should ur a conroe w/ a 7900GT or X1800Xt fine.
July 2, 2006 7:46:12 AM

Quote:
But will the GPU's of tomorrow need more power, like the Geforce 7950?

A 450 watt PS is recommended for a 7950. I'd go at least 500 watts with at least 36A combined +12V current capabiity.
Related resources
July 2, 2006 8:55:55 PM

Quote:
But will the GPU's of tomorrow need more power, like the Geforce 7950?

A 450 watt PS is recommended for a 7950. I'd go at least 500 watts with at least 36A combined +12V current capabiity.

Thanks...like I said about GPU's the next generation of them will be here way before a Conroe system needs upgrading.

I know I can read this forum for this, but I'm lazy right now. :)  Which PSU is not too expensive and reliable? My old PC had a Deer 350w that lasted 4 years and was still spinning when I threw it away after I found out that Deer PSU's are crap.
July 3, 2006 3:16:03 AM

Quote:
Which PSU is not too expensive and reliable?

For my money, when I'm ready to throw down for a $600 GPU that's probably going to be mounted on a $100-200 mobo with a $300 or more CPU, etc., I'd be buying a quality PS. So maybe this Fortron or this one. Or maybe this OCZ or maybe this one if you might later do SLI (although I don't think any of these are enough to push two 7950s.)
July 3, 2006 4:19:19 AM

Don't get the modstream. I read bad reviews on it. at least when they put tons of hardware and Oc'd it. I'm looking at the powersteam w/ single 33a 12v rail
July 3, 2006 4:46:19 AM

Quote:
Don't get the modstream. I read bad reviews on it. at least when they put tons of hardware and Oc'd it. I'm looking at the powersteam w/ single 33a 12v rail

Actually, I know of professional high current 24/7 installations that have run Modstreams since they were first released with great success. For example, RAM manufacturers running stress tests. What is the source of the bad reviews you've read?
July 7, 2006 3:34:13 PM

I was looking for a PSU for overclocking and they showed the powerstreams were better and at least the one (powerstream) I say had adjustable power rails.
A modstream looks good for what your doing.
July 7, 2006 4:30:42 PM

Quote:
I was looking for a PSU for overclocking and they showed the powerstreams were better and at least the one (powerstream) I say had adjustable power rails.
A modstream looks good for what your doing.

no all the OCZ psu's are good, the single rail ones are decent, something like fortron would be better but the dual and quad railed OCZ's are very good.
July 8, 2006 1:07:21 PM

Quote:
Which PSU is not too expensive and reliable?

For my money, when I'm ready to throw down for a $600 GPU that's probably going to be mounted on a $100-200 mobo with a $300 or more CPU, etc., I'd be buying a quality PS. So maybe this Fortron or this one. Or maybe this OCZ or maybe this one if you might later do SLI (although I don't think any of these are enough to push two 7950s.)

These all like like good PSU's. Do you prefer the Fortron or the OCZ brand?
July 8, 2006 2:06:51 PM

Quote:

I have not owned an FSP, but my mushkin is made by the same builder that makes the FSP and I'm super happy with the mushkin. But the reviews on the FSP from many credible sources have me convinced that they are excellent. I do have the OCZ 700 Gamextreme and it easily handles my video rig that flattened the Liberty 620. I like the attitudes of the tech service people at both OCZ and FSP and that is a key part of the picture to me. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
July 8, 2006 2:39:48 PM

Quote:

I have not owned an FSP, but my mushkin is made by the same builder that makes the FSP and I'm super happy with the mushkin. But the reviews on the FSP from many credible sources have me convinced that they are excellent. I do have the OCZ 700 Gamextreme and it easily handles my video rig that flattened the Liberty 620. I like the attitudes of the tech service people at both OCZ and FSP and that is a key part of the picture to me. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Agh!! This is so confusing!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
This is 70watts higher and $13 lower than this:

Is it a no brainer to go with the OCZ? Although some of the negative reviews kinda stear me away from it.
July 8, 2006 2:50:45 PM

Quote:

Agh!! This is so confusing!!!
This is 70watts higher and $13 lower than this:

Is it a no brainer to go with the OCZ? Although some of the negative reviews kinda stear me away from it.

OCZ is better there.
July 8, 2006 3:07:01 PM

I am pretty sure FSP is the single largest PSU company. I am not sure if they directly own the plant that makes the PSU's or contract it out, but the way the article made it sound is that FSP group (Fortron SParkle Group) makes the PSU's and are the largest PSU company..... and imo they make the best PSU's.... especially for the price.

FSP Group makes power supplies for quite a few companies.... PC Power and Cooling, maybe or maybe not Seasonic.... Mushkin according to Clueless.... and no telling how many others.
July 8, 2006 3:22:36 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure FSP is the single largest PSU company. I am not sure if they directly own the plant that makes the PSU's or contract it out, but the way the article made it sound is that FSP group (Fortron SParkle Group) makes the PSU's and are the largest PSU company..... and imo they make the best PSU's.... especially for the price.

FSP Group makes power supplies for quite a few companies.... PC Power and Cooling, maybe or maybe not Seasonic.... Mushkin according to Clueless.... and no telling how many others.

Gigabyte is supposed to make PSU's too.
July 8, 2006 3:29:46 PM

not so sure about the OCZ.... according to the specs on it.... it has one 26A 12v Rail.... for a total of 312W on the 12v rail.... this is correct is it not? The FSP doesn't say how many amps the 4 12v rails are pushing... The thing is... the 600W fsp has 4 12v rails rated @ 15amps a piece... which I assume is max.... but if they were all maxed that would be 180Watts per rail and 720W total..... Iassume it just would not work, or else it's rated lower than it actually is. Back to my point though.... The FSP with the 4 rails has more potential 12V rail wattage output than the OCZ since the OCZ PSU only has one 12v rail. I would imagine each 12V rail on the FSP is 15amps which is 180W*4 would =720W. It obviously can't push more than the rated watts.... but it seems to me it has a higher potential for the total 12v output than the OCZ does. Silent PC review has some good stuff on this.

From what I gather from the specs... the OCZ would not be able to push 2 1900xtx's and a 100W cpu... but the FSP should be able to.... all speculation though.
July 8, 2006 3:39:21 PM

Quote:
not so sure about the OCZ.... according to the specs on it.... it has one 26A 12v Rail.... for a total of 312W on the 12v rail.... this is correct is it not? The FSP doesn't say how many amps the 4 12v rails are pushing... The thing is... the 600W fsp has 4 12v rails rated @ 15amps a piece... which I assume is max.... but if they were all maxed that would be 180Watts per rail and 720W total..... Iassume it just would not work, or else it's rated lower than it actually is. Back to my point though.... The FSP with the 4 rails has more potential 12V rail wattage output than the OCZ since the OCZ PSU only has one 12v rail. I would imagine each 12V rail on the FSP is 15amps which is 180W*4 would =720W. It obviously can't push more than the rated watts.... but it seems to me it has a higher potential for the total 12v output than the OCZ does. Silent PC review has some good stuff on this.

All this talk about the watts per rail is way beyond me. I will look up the reviews on Silent PC. Based on your post do you prefer the OCZ or FSP?
July 8, 2006 3:48:35 PM

I would not go with the OCZ... sure it has alot of watts.... but not on the 12v rail according to the specs on newegg. It's not a bad psu, but the 12V rail is not enough to push even todays fastest CPU and the two fastest single core video cards. But you can't really buy for something that isn't out yet, IE.... buying a psu that you hope will work with the next gen video cards and mobo's cause connectors tend to change as well as everything else. But you don't really need a 600W psu.... a good 500W psu would be fine with either a really high single 12v rail like 36amps or 2 or 3 15 amp 12v rails.
July 8, 2006 4:12:35 PM

im stickin with my vote for the OCZ.
July 8, 2006 4:32:20 PM

Quote:
I would not go with the OCZ... sure it has alot of watts.... but not on the 12v rail according to the specs on newegg.

4 rails at 18A each. Not sure what combined max is but it's got balls, I know that. Also high efficiency for a big PS, like 80-83% under load.

Quote:
It's not a bad psu, but the 12V rail is not enough to push even todays fastest CPU and the two fastest single core video cards.

Mine has run a DFI3200/Opty170@2.6/XFired 1900XTs @650/1650.

That might not qualify as fastest CPU, I'll grant you that, but it's close enough and my rails are rock solid under load, so I'll disagree.

Quote:
But you can't really buy for something that isn't out yet, IE.... buying a psu that you hope will work with the next gen video cards and mobo's cause connectors tend to change as well as everything else. But you don't really need a 600W psu.... a good 500W psu would be fine with either a really high single 12v rail like 36amps or 2 or 3 15 amp 12v rails.

And you don't think the OCZ GE700 meets those specs easily?
July 8, 2006 8:35:23 PM

The link that was posted by mickeddie on newegg showed it with one 26 amp 12v rail.... that is a total of 312w on the 12v rail..... according to those specs it would not supplie enough power for an Intel 8XX or high end 9XX OC'ed with 2 1900XTX's. If the CPU alone is 100W then the two video cards would have to be less than 105W which they are not. But maybe the specs on newegg are wrong, I was at work and can only access certain websites from there.... newegg being one of them.

Edit: here is the OCZ psu he was talking about.... I wasn't reffering to all OCZ psu's.

July 8, 2006 9:49:02 PM

That is the PSU I would buy if I were buying one today. It has one rail @ 36amps. Looking at 432Watts on the 12volt. That is more than enough to run anything you could throw at it. It's an FSP so known to be reliable. The only thing people really complained about was not having modular cables.... but they should have known that when they bought it.
July 8, 2006 10:09:47 PM

The reason I like the single over the dual is do to the fact that you have to be careful not to overload one of the rails.... sure it's a combined of 38.... but the 12V2 rail is supposed to only supply power to the cpu via the 4pin connector... that leave you with one 12v rail to work with @ 19A. Just my thoughts on the dual 12V Rail issue... what are yours?
July 8, 2006 10:23:58 PM

Another question re: PSU's and Conroe. Are Conroe systems going to have a different type of power connector than the 24 pin deal or not?
July 8, 2006 11:38:32 PM

Well, IMO, the PSU is designed with dual rails at inception, and by isolating components tends to assist in keeping electrical feedback on separate channels, means that noisy or electrical variance cross talk from one component ie video card will be less likely to feed back into another power draw ie the CPU... meaning better chances at keeping the system stable and keeping Windows from crashing out... in turn increasing odds of reaching higher overclocks... and the more quality separate rails the better as long as they provide 13 or more amps per rail...
all components create noise and has voltage surges and spikes... and this can interfere with other components when comming from the same source.

and it is my limited understanding that some PSU's can shift loads and adjust amperages when one rail requires more power than another... provided total amperage output does not exceed the published output as per manufacture listed...
July 9, 2006 1:56:49 AM

I know nothing of single or dual rails so I would think 2 is better than one.

Also, what are modular cables? I put in my current PSU and wouldn't know modular from non-modular.
July 9, 2006 2:04:08 AM

Quote:
The link that was posted by mickeddie on newegg showed it with one 26 amp 12v rail.... that is a total of 312w on the 12v rail..... according to those specs it would not supplie enough power for an Intel 8XX or high end 9XX OC'ed with 2 1900XTX's. If the CPU alone is 100W then the two video cards would have to be less than 105W which they are not. But maybe the specs on newegg are wrong, I was at work and can only access certain websites from there.... newegg being one of them.

Yes, the Modstream is a single rail 26A unit. It's actually a very strong PS. My son's box has an Opty 146 and a 1900XT and it drives it just fine with a medium OC on both. But I wouldn't expect it to handle two OCed GPUs and a hungry CPU.
July 9, 2006 2:05:48 AM

Quote:
Another question re: PSU's and Conroe. Are Conroe systems going to have a different type of power connector than the 24 pin deal or not?

I assume you mean Conroe mobos. The usual 24 pin ATX connector it what they use.
July 9, 2006 2:09:19 AM

Quote:
The reason I like the single over the dual is do to the fact that you have to be careful not to overload one of the rails.... sure it's a combined of 38.... but the 12V2 rail is supposed to only supply power to the cpu via the 4pin connector... that leave you with one 12v rail to work with @ 19A. Just my thoughts on the dual 12V Rail issue... what are yours?

Some PS's like the mushkin have 4 rails, but they can auto-bridge their rails, so if one rail gets maxed, one of the other rails can help carry the load.
July 9, 2006 2:23:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, the Modstream is a single rail 26A unit. It's actually a very strong PS. My son's box has an Opty 146 and a 1900XT and it drives it just fine with a medium OC on both. But I wouldn't expect it to handle two OCed GPUs and a hungry CPU.

Since my OP was targeted at a Conroe CPU, are they considered "hungry"??
July 9, 2006 2:34:33 AM

Quote:

Since my OP was targeted at a Conroe CPU, are they considered "hungry"??

At stock clock, I certainly wouldn't think so relative to performance. I haven't seen enough data on OC'ed Conroes, but Intel performance freaks push their CPUs to the limit and I'd expect a LN2-cooled Conroe to be a moderately hungry beast.
July 9, 2006 3:23:10 AM

question... the only place they could be feeding back would be through the wires themself right? Cause it uses the same ac-12dc power converter, so is that what you are saying?
July 9, 2006 2:59:24 PM

Quote:
question... the only place they could be feeding back would be through the wires themself right? Cause it uses the same ac-12dc power converter, so is that what you are saying?

huh??
July 9, 2006 3:54:45 PM

lmao

"ATX power supplies DO NOT turn on at the flip of a switch" page dedicated to that.
July 12, 2006 12:06:16 PM

Got my new case...the Antec p180b. Dang this is a BIG case!! I am concerned that some power supply cables might not be long enough so I thought I would go with an Antec PSU. What is your general opinion on them? The manual suggests the Truepower 2, NEO HE, or the Phantom. The Phantom is expensive and there are THREE Trupower 2 550w PSU's on Newegg.

Since you are so knowledgable with PSU's I will take your advice. :wink:

I think I read somewhere you suggested to someone else the NEO HE??

Thanks!!

Eddie
July 12, 2006 3:20:26 PM

well i'll tell you now, im gonna be bias here but in a good way.

I have a NeoHE 500w.

I would recommend the NeoHE series for the P180. modular really helps.

now if ur gonna get the NeoHE 430w. I would suggest either spending a little less for the Smartpower 500w. or a little more for the Truepower 550w.

Then ofcourse, i would suggest getting a fortron PSU if u need the power
July 12, 2006 3:44:24 PM

Quote:
well i'll tell you now, im gonna be bias here but in a good way.

I have a NeoHE 500w.

I would recommend the NeoHE series for the P180. modular really helps.

now if ur gonna get the NeoHE 430w. I would suggest either spending a little less for the Smartpower 500w. or a little more for the Truepower 550w.

Then ofcourse, i would suggest getting a fortron PSU if u need the power

I would get the Neopower Neo HE 550w PSU since you reccomend the Neo HE. I think a 550w PSU would work for the time being.

I like the Fortron but like I said my concern is that the cables are too short for the size of the P180 case.
July 12, 2006 4:11:29 PM

well short cables isnt a big issue, canble extenders are made. but get something modular. P180 is cramped already so.
July 16, 2006 12:07:27 AM

Hi Pengie.

Since you know so much about PSU's one more question...

I found the Neo HE 550w at another on-line retailer for under $100 with shipping. The reason for this follow up post is to ask your opinion on something...
I read reviews from last October on Newegg about incompatibility issues with some ASUS mobos. Since I don't even know what mobo I will be buying do you think I should cancel the order and wait for the mobo?

Thanks!

Eddie
July 16, 2006 5:47:50 AM

the ASUS issue was only with the 430w versions. and that was resolved in feburary. I dont like ASUS mobo's to begin with so, i would cancel it and order the Intel 975XBX. But the canceling part is my being very bias. :D 
July 16, 2006 1:10:47 PM

I didn't order the mobo, just the PSU. I will be getting a p965 chipset mobo.
July 16, 2006 1:12:11 PM

What I meant to ask originally was should I cancel the order on the NEO HE until I get a p965 mobo?
July 16, 2006 4:14:58 PM

oh, nah, keep it, ur gettin a great deal, worrst that can happen is u'll have to ship it back which will cost lesss than 20 bucks. but u'd still be saving more.

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/dp965lt/index...

i'd go with that mobo, intel's newer mobo's have been good so far.

man, still dunno why 965x, 975x is much better, but thats my opinion. and actually if u can wait i'd get an Nvidia chipset, like Nvidia NF5 Ultra or something, what ever they plan on naming it.
July 16, 2006 8:04:51 PM

I know it's a good deal, but since I won't be buying a mobo for another month or so I won't be able to return the PSU by then...There is a window for returns per the return policy.
July 16, 2006 8:40:10 PM

oh, then i would cancel it. i find no point in buying hardware to have it sit around, even if u save 20 dollars.

but thats my opinion. maybe something cheaper and better will come by.
August 1, 2006 5:34:57 PM

It's me again...I still won't need to buy a PSU until next month but wanted your opinion on the Cooler Master IGreen PSU's.

I know, I know...Neo HE or FSP. :wink:
!