Group Policy as "preference" does not apply

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 24, 2004 3:21:01 AM

We used a W2K3 server for a domain controller and are planning to join all
the Win2K professional workstations to the domain. Before this, some WinXP
machines are already joined to this domain.

One of the GPOs for the WinXP machines is concerning preferences only, i.e.
using .adm files to set registry values, and "Registry policy processing" in
the GPO is "Not configured". We suppose that this policy only affect the
client settings once (only when the user profile is newly created). This
works on WinXP.

We then copy the policy for Win2K. We find that 2 out of 3 testing machines
do not have the expected result. The failure is that, the GPO has applied as
we can see from using the tool "GPResult", but the registry entries are not
changed by the GPO even it is the first-time logon. The remaining 1 machine
however works as in the WinXP case.

We do not suspect Win2K cannot perform what WinXP can, but we cannot locate
the problem. Please help.

And, Merry Christmas!
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:07:01 AM

Pls check this.

HOW TO: Create Custom Administrative Templates in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q323639

br,
Denis

"bely" wrote:

> We used a W2K3 server for a domain controller and are planning to join all
> the Win2K professional workstations to the domain. Before this, some WinXP
> machines are already joined to this domain.
>
> One of the GPOs for the WinXP machines is concerning preferences only, i.e.
> using .adm files to set registry values, and "Registry policy processing" in
> the GPO is "Not configured". We suppose that this policy only affect the
> client settings once (only when the user profile is newly created). This
> works on WinXP.
>
> We then copy the policy for Win2K. We find that 2 out of 3 testing machines
> do not have the expected result. The failure is that, the GPO has applied as
> we can see from using the tool "GPResult", but the registry entries are not
> changed by the GPO even it is the first-time logon. The remaining 1 machine
> however works as in the WinXP case.
>
> We do not suspect Win2K cannot perform what WinXP can, but we cannot locate
> the problem. Please help.
>
> And, Merry Christmas!
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 6:31:37 PM

"deniswonghongk" wrote:
> Pls check this.
>
> HOW TO: Create Custom Administrative Templates in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q323639
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "bely" wrote:
>
> > We used a W2K3 server for a domain controller and are
> planning to join all
> > the Win2K professional workstations to the domain. Before
> this, some WinXP
> > machines are already joined to this domain.
> >
> > One of the GPOs for the WinXP machines is concerning
> preferences only, i.e.
> > using .adm files to set registry values, and "Registry
> policy processing" in
> > the GPO is "Not configured". We suppose that this policy
> only affect the
> > client settings once (only when the user profile is newly
> created). This
> > works on WinXP.
> >
> > We then copy the policy for Win2K. We find that 2 out of 3
> testing machines
> > do not have the expected result. The failure is that, the
> GPO has applied as
> > we can see from using the tool "GPResult", but the registry
> entries are not
> > changed by the GPO even it is the first-time logon. The
> remaining 1 machine
> > however works as in the WinXP case.
> >
> > We do not suspect Win2K cannot perform what WinXP can, but
> we cannot locate
> > the problem. Please help.
> >
> > And, Merry Christmas!

Hi,

I replied last time you posted about this. Basically custom ADM’s that
do registry changes (like NT 4 system policies) rather than "policy"
changes (like Windows 2000) don’t apply in Windows 2000 pro. In fact
they even don’t view in Windows Group Policy unless you view Advanced
Features and even then they come up ’blue’.

Eg. I created an ADM to set the Numlock Key to "on". It made the
modification in the Users Registry, but the numlock key didn’t come
on. Also I did this for a .bmp background for the user. It didn’t
apply.

Basically to apply registry changes, I use a VBScript and include it
as a logon script.

eg.

Dim Path
Path =
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp
lorer\User
Shell Folders\"
set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
o=ws.RegWrite(Path & "Favorites", "H:\Favorites",
"REG_EXPAND_SZ")
v=ws.RegRead(Path & "Favorites")
Set WSHShell = nothing

Cheers,