Group Policy as "preference" does not apply

We used a W2K3 server for a domain controller and are planning to join all
the Win2K professional workstations to the domain. Before this, some WinXP
machines are already joined to this domain.

One of the GPOs for the WinXP machines is concerning preferences only, i.e.
using .adm files to set registry values, and "Registry policy processing" in
the GPO is "Not configured". We suppose that this policy only affect the
client settings once (only when the user profile is newly created). This
works on WinXP.

We then copy the policy for Win2K. We find that 2 out of 3 testing machines
do not have the expected result. The failure is that, the GPO has applied as
we can see from using the tool "GPResult", but the registry entries are not
changed by the GPO even it is the first-time logon. The remaining 1 machine
however works as in the WinXP case.

We do not suspect Win2K cannot perform what WinXP can, but we cannot locate
the problem. Please help.

And, Merry Christmas!
2 answers Last reply
More about group policy preference apply

    Pls check this.

    HOW TO: Create Custom Administrative Templates in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q323639

    br,
    Denis

    "deniswonghongk" wrote:
    > Pls check this.
    >
    > HOW TO: Create Custom Administrative Templates in Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q323639
    >
    > br,
    > Denis
    >
    > "bely" wrote:
    >
    > > We used a W2K3 server for a domain controller and are
    > planning to join all
    > > the Win2K professional workstations to the domain. Before
    > this, some WinXP
    > > machines are already joined to this domain.
    > >
    > > One of the GPOs for the WinXP machines is concerning
    > preferences only, i.e.
    > > using .adm files to set registry values, and "Registry
    > policy processing" in
    > > the GPO is "Not configured". We suppose that this policy
    > only affect the
    > > client settings once (only when the user profile is newly
    > created). This
    > > works on WinXP.
    > >
    > > We then copy the policy for Win2K. We find that 2 out of 3
    > testing machines
    > > do not have the expected result. The failure is that, the
    > GPO has applied as
    > > we can see from using the tool "GPResult", but the registry
    > entries are not
    > > changed by the GPO even it is the first-time logon. The
    > remaining 1 machine
    > > however works as in the WinXP case.
    > >
    > > We do not suspect Win2K cannot perform what WinXP can, but
    > we cannot locate
    > > the problem. Please help.
    > >
    > > And, Merry Christmas!

    Hi,

    I replied last time you posted about this. Basically custom ADM’s that
    do registry changes (like NT 4 system policies) rather than "policy"
    changes (like Windows 2000) don’t apply in Windows 2000 pro. In fact
    they even don’t view in Windows Group Policy unless you view Advanced
    Features and even then they come up ’blue’.

    Eg. I created an ADM to set the Numlock Key to "on". It made the
    modification in the Users Registry, but the numlock key didn’t come
    on. Also I did this for a .bmp background for the user. It didn’t
    apply.

    Basically to apply registry changes, I use a VBScript and include it
    as a logon script.

    eg.

    Dim Path
    Path =
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp
    lorer\User
    Shell Folders\"
    set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    o=ws.RegWrite(Path & "Favorites", "H:\Favorites",
    "REG_EXPAND_SZ")
    v=ws.RegRead(Path & "Favorites")
    Set WSHShell = nothing

    Cheers,