Epson ink carts

Hi all,

I've got an Epson R800 and I'm definately thinking of using 3rd party ink
when the Epson originals run out.
Now the thing is, can I use some Epson and some 3rd party as they run out,
or will I have to replace the lot as I believe the Epson's and 3rd party
ones use different ink?

Cheers
SteveH
12 answers Last reply
More about epson carts

    Yes you can. If however you have a problem with the printer Epson will not
    want to know so be sure the Epson carts you take out for the first time are
    not quite empty and when asked by Epson say you use OEM carts their carts.
    In the unlikely event they require to exchange your printer be sure they do
    so with OEM carts fitted.

    I use 247inkshop.co.uk they are great on price and the ink is good quality
    for the price. A tip for third party ink is that you run a nozzle check
    daily, as I find Epson printers clog no matter what ink you use. Try a set
    and if not happy go back to OEM.

    SteveH wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I've got an Epson R800 and I'm definately thinking of using 3rd party ink
    >when the Epson originals run out.

    Then I do expect to be reading about your problems on this NG. While I
    am a proponent of Canon printers and feel the IP8500 is a superior
    printer to the R800, I do think that the R800 (although the wide format
    R1800 can produce those large wall hangers) is a fine printer. In this
    ng you can read about all of the problems people have with Epson
    printers and 3rd party inks. Now with your expensive R800 using
    pigmented inks, I think that finding after market pigmented inks is even
    more risky and difficult and that you are looking for problems.

    You purchased this expensive printer for what you think it can do and
    what ever the quality you saw was with OEM inks. Pigmented inks, OEM or
    3rd party) have a greater tendency to clog print heads that dye inks.

    Good Luck!

    SteveH wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got an Epson R800 and I'm definately thinking of using 3rd party
    > ink when the Epson originals run out.
    > Now the thing is, can I use some Epson and some 3rd party as they run
    > out, or will I have to replace the lot as I believe the Epson's and
    > 3rd party ones use different ink?
    >
    > Cheers
    > SteveH

    I would not recommend using 3rd party ink until the warranty expires. That
    way you aren't in danger of voiding the warranty should it be necessary to
    return the unit to Epson for any reason.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    >SteveH wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I've got an Epson R800 and I'm definately thinking of using 3rd party
    >>ink when the Epson originals run out.
    >>Now the thing is, can I use some Epson and some 3rd party as they run
    >>out, or will I have to replace the lot as I believe the Epson's and
    >>3rd party ones use different ink?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>SteveH
    >>

    >I would not recommend using 3rd party ink until the warranty expires.

    Just the opposite. If you are going to take the big risk with after
    market pigmented inks that do it when the warranty is active. It is
    illegal for Epson to void the warranty just because you used a product
    from a source other than Epson unless it is blatently obvious that the
    ink was so out of whack that the ink was directly responsible for the
    problem.

    That said I would stay with OEM pigmented ink.

    >That
    >way you aren't in danger of voiding the warranty should it be necessary to
    >return the unit to Epson for any reason.

    Inkjet printers have the potential to get clogged heads with their own brand
    inks as well as quality aftermarket inks. The two major issues are 1) the
    quality of the aftermarket inks and cartridges and 2) the frequency with
    which you print. In addition, there is always some buildup of dried ink on
    the underside of printheads that can sometimes cause clogs with months or
    years of normal, regular use. Email Arthur Enlich at artistic@telus.net
    and ask him for his guide to cleaning Epson print heads. He will email it
    to you. He has helped countless people to clean Epson print heads. You
    might ask him about aftermarket inks as he uses both aftermarket and Epson
    inks successfully. I do believe that Epson print heads may clog more
    frequently than Canon, but Arthur's info brought one of my Epsons back to
    life! Don't try anything else till you read his instructions, some of which
    are similar to others you will read.

    > SteveH wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I've got an Epson R800 and I'm definately thinking of using 3rd party ink
    >>when the Epson originals run out.
    >>

    > Then I do expect to be reading about your problems on this NG. While I am
    > a proponent of Canon printers and feel the IP8500 is a superior printer to
    > the R800, I do think that the R800 (although the wide format R1800 can
    > produce those large wall hangers) is a fine printer. In this ng you can
    > read about all of the problems people have with Epson printers and 3rd
    > party inks. Now with your expensive R800 using pigmented inks, I think
    > that finding after market pigmented inks is even more risky and difficult
    > and that you are looking for problems.
    >
    > You purchased this expensive printer for what you think it can do and what
    > ever the quality you saw was with OEM inks. Pigmented inks, OEM or 3rd
    > party) have a greater tendency to clog print heads that dye inks.
    >
    > Good Luck!
    >
    >>Now the thing is, can I use some Epson and some 3rd party as they run out,
    >>or will I have to replace the lot as I believe the Epson's and 3rd party
    >>ones use different ink?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>SteveH

    "SteveH" <steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got an Epson R800 and I'm definately thinking of using 3rd party ink
    > when the Epson originals run out.
    > Now the thing is, can I use some Epson and some 3rd party as they run out,
    > or will I have to replace the lot as I believe the Epson's and 3rd party
    > ones use different ink?
    >
    > Cheers
    > SteveH

    Thanks for all the info everyone.

    Cheers
    SteveH

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:40:26 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
    <test@test.com> wrote:

    >SteveH wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've got an Epson R800 and I'm definately thinking of using 3rd party
    >> ink when the Epson originals run out.
    >> Now the thing is, can I use some Epson and some 3rd party as they run
    >> out, or will I have to replace the lot as I believe the Epson's and
    >> 3rd party ones use different ink?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> SteveH
    >
    >I would not recommend using 3rd party ink until the warranty expires. That
    >way you aren't in danger of voiding the warranty should it be necessary to
    >return the unit to Epson for any reason.

    In the UK you will *not* void the warranty by using 3rd party inks.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    "Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I use 247inkshop.co.uk they are great on price and the ink is good quality
    > for the price. A tip for third party ink is that you run a nozzle check
    > daily, as I find Epson printers clog no matter what ink you use. Try a set
    > and if not happy go back to OEM.

    I have two Epson Stylus Photo 890s at home. I have tried them with a wide
    range of inks and find that the nozzles block occasionally with all types
    (the printers are not in everyday use). I always run a nozzle check before
    printing anything important, and if I do have to run a cleaning cycle I let
    it stand for a while afterwards, as this does help the process.

    I downloaded a printer test page from the digitaldog web site and did an ink
    comparison, using Epson Colorlife paper each time. Epson ink gave (to my
    eye) the best result and the least colour cast on a grey scale wedge. In the
    UK the Epson colour cartridge costs £15. The worst result came from PC World
    brand ink (£6 per cartridge). My daily use ink is PrintRite, which I buy
    from tonezoneuk at £2.60. The test page was virtually indistinguishable from
    the Epson one.

    Mike

    Speak to the ink vendor you decide to buy from and ask them what they
    think is best. Ask if the new inks will have similar characteristics as
    the OEM. Unfortunately I suspect R800 clone inks are going to be
    difficult to come by for a while still, but perhaps they have the colors
    and formulae worked out already. I would be cautious with such a
    printer, and demand some warranty of the ink supplier.

    It's a costly printer just to end up a mediocre dye printer with off
    color results.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich wrote:

    > Speak to the ink vendor you decide to buy from and ask them what they
    > think is best. Ask if the new inks will have similar characteristics as
    > the OEM. Unfortunately I suspect R800 clone inks are going to be
    > difficult to come by for a while still, but perhaps they have the colors
    > and formulae worked out already. I would be cautious with such a
    > printer, and demand some warranty of the ink supplier.
    >
    > It's a costly printer just to end up a mediocre dye printer with off
    > color results.
    >
    > Art

    Looks as if

    http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R800

    has a CIS system and pigmented inks for the R800.

    Be nice if someone else would do a "home" review of the stuff and not
    just gloss over the product then we will find out consumer response.

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've got an Epson R800 and I'm definately thinking of using 3rd party
    >> ink when the Epson originals run out.
    >> Now the thing is, can I use some Epson and some 3rd party as they run
    >> out, or will I have to replace the lot as I believe the Epson's and
    >> 3rd party ones use different ink?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> SteveH

    Sign on to the Nifty stuff forum at www.nifty-stuff.com/forum and ask about
    aftermarket ink experience with your printer. The emphasis is on Canon
    aftermarket inks and carts, but someone may answer your Epson question on
    that forum.

    "Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message
    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    >
    >> Speak to the ink vendor you decide to buy from and ask them what they
    >> think is best. Ask if the new inks will have similar characteristics as
    >> the OEM. Unfortunately I suspect R800 clone inks are going to be
    >> difficult to come by for a while still, but perhaps they have the colors
    >> and formulae worked out already. I would be cautious with such a
    >> printer, and demand some warranty of the ink supplier.
    >>
    >> It's a costly printer just to end up a mediocre dye printer with off
    >> color results.
    >>
    >> Art
    >>

    > Looks as if
    >
    > http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R800
    >
    > has a CIS system and pigmented inks for the R800.
    >
    > Be nice if someone else would do a "home" review of the stuff and not just
    > gloss over the product then we will find out consumer response.
    >

    >> Steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I've got an Epson R800 and I'm definately thinking of using 3rd party
    >>> ink when the Epson originals run out.
    >>> Now the thing is, can I use some Epson and some 3rd party as they run
    >>> out, or will I have to replace the lot as I believe the Epson's and 3rd
    >>> party ones use different ink?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> SteveH

    Overall, the reports I get regarding the Ink Republic system are very
    good. I don't know much about the inks yet, but the writers of the
    testimonials seems quite pleased.

    Art

    Rob wrote:

    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    >
    >> Speak to the ink vendor you decide to buy from and ask them what they
    >> think is best. Ask if the new inks will have similar characteristics
    >> as the OEM. Unfortunately I suspect R800 clone inks are going to be
    >> difficult to come by for a while still, but perhaps they have the colors
    >> and formulae worked out already. I would be cautious with such a
    >> printer, and demand some warranty of the ink supplier.
    >>
    >> It's a costly printer just to end up a mediocre dye printer with off
    >> color results.
    >>
    >> Art
    >>

    > Looks as if
    >
    > http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=R800
    >
    > has a CIS system and pigmented inks for the R800.
    >
    > Be nice if someone else would do a "home" review of the stuff and not
    > just gloss over the product then we will find out consumer response.
    >

    >> Steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I've got an Epson R800 and I'm definately thinking of using 3rd party
    >>> ink when the Epson originals run out.
    >>> Now the thing is, can I use some Epson and some 3rd party as they run
    >>> out, or will I have to replace the lot as I believe the Epson's and
    >>> 3rd party ones use different ink?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> SteveH

Printers Epson Peripherals Product