Tags:
  • Radeon
  • GPUs
  • ATI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2006 3:47:40 AM

HI, I'm planing to buy the ati's 1900xt gpu, and i was wondering how is it( i read a lot of reviews on it and benchmarks) but i would like to get a bit of information from those of You that have this card,

-how is it ? /gneral impresions
-what gpu did u have before this one?
-is the gpu impresive? / was it worth geting?
-would You buy the gpu if You knew as mutch as You know about it now (using it)
-are there any problems with it?
-will You be upgrading soon to a newer card? (is this one becoming 2 slow, compared to available info online, and to Your own needs?)

Thank You for all replies.

More about : ati radeon x1900xt question owners gpu

July 2, 2006 3:53:36 AM

i have an X1900XT

great card. runs hot, power got, my electric bill went from 150 to 200 bucks.

um...i would wait for DX 10.
July 2, 2006 4:12:47 AM

thx for the information, i was thinking about waiting for teh dx10 series gpus lol
(its so hard to do it having a ati radeon(without an x :wink:) 7500 all in wonder, 512 mb's ram, and a PIV 1.7 :cry:  lol ),

btw will the dx10 gpu's come out in about november? (I hope I could get a relatively nice dx10 gpu for around $400, thats what i thought of spending on my gpu for my new build, with a core 2 duo 2.4 cpu and 2 gigs of ram)

thx
Related resources
July 2, 2006 12:49:44 PM

Pengwin what use with that VC?Im going to buy the same VC and one AMD64 3500+,power supply Fortron 400W
July 2, 2006 1:54:37 PM

400W is cutting it close with that card.
July 2, 2006 2:11:05 PM

Quote:
400W is cutting it close with that card.

Yes, it is. Good luck, though.
July 2, 2006 2:35:49 PM

X1900 XT is a fantastic card in the $400-450 price range. Yes it does produce a good amount of heat and requires a lot of power, but it outperforms its Nvidia counterparts in nearly all non OpenGL games.
July 2, 2006 2:42:02 PM

Quote:
HI, I'm planing to buy the ati's 1900xt gpu, and i was wondering how is it( i read a lot of reviews on it and benchmarks) but i would like to get a bit of information from those of You that have this card,

sweet. i love mine. chews through everything at all high with great fps. only bad thing is that it uses lots of elecrticity and heats up the surrounding a lot even thogh the hot air is exhausted through the back. you need good airflow. Also the stock fan is pretty loud when the card is heavyly utilized. if you dont want to void your warranty by putting a different HSF, rigging a 80 mm fan on the end helps a great deal.

Quote:

geforce fx 5200 (256 Meg mem) :( . crappy GPU for todays games.
Quote:

in my oppininon yes. But you could get a lower powered one because for most games the framerates you get are way more than you need. obviously time will change that
Quote:

yup
Quote:

not up to now. the only thing that you have to remeber is that the card has a 2D & 3D mode (a bit like speedstep/cool & quiet). When you use overclocking tools like ATI tool, you need to bump the voltage to their stock 3d values of 1.4V(xt)/1.425V(xtx) in order to reach 3d clocks and beyond
Quote:
-will You be upgrading soon to a newer card? (is this one becoming 2 slow, compared to available info online, and to Your own needs?)

hell no, i'm happy with the performance (and at least mine has a very good overclocking potential; i'm up from 625/745 to 685/850 at stock volts and i can probabely push out even a bit more)
July 2, 2006 3:01:51 PM

The X1900Xt is an awesome VC. I installed the Zalman 900 heatpipe cooler and have the card OC'd to the max settings that ATI will allow with no artifacts or problems. Here is a link to Newegg where you can find the card for 355 dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
July 2, 2006 3:10:49 PM

Quote:
The X1900Xt is an awesome VC. I installed the Zalman 900 heatpipe cooler and have the card OC'd to the max settings that ATI will allow with no artifacts or problems. Here is a link to Newegg where you can find the card for 355 dollars.

Wanna post some benchies?
July 2, 2006 3:23:08 PM

Quote:

-will You be upgrading soon to a newer card? (is this one becoming 2 slow, compared to available info online, and to Your own needs?)quote]

I've got a 1900 XTX Toxic, so its not exactly what you're asking about, but I'll give some answers.

How it it/general impressions

It works great. Speed, 3DMark scores way up over what I had before. I do have liquid cooling, so its fairly quiet and runs at 44c max so far. I've decided that future cards will be liquid cooled.

What GPU did have have before?

A 7800 GTX. It was fast, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 1900 XTX.

Is the gpu imprssive/was it worth getting?

That's a personal opinion, but my opinion is yet. It was expensive for sure, but the performance has made it worth it in my opinion.

Would you buy the gpu if you knew as much about it as you do now?

Yes.

Are there any problems with it.

Not so far.

Will you be upgrading to a newer card?

Sure, in about a year and a half, maybe longer, when Vista and DX10 parts are out. Until then, I'm happy with what I got.
July 2, 2006 3:29:28 PM

thank You all for the replies, they are very helpful, lol im begining to think that judt geting a system build right after the cenroes will be availabe, and maby i should not wait till the dx10 coma out, althou a big part of me tells me to wait :wink: ...... lol(I gues this is how it is when uses a pc which was bought in 2001/with minor upgrades),

Does anyone know when the dx10 will come out? will they be coming out before november?...if yes then i think i would wait for that to come out, but again i wouldnt want to spend more than $400 on a gpu*which i think is quite alot in comparison with other hardware), but just loking at the technology changes would there be a chance of geting a, beter, or similar card to 1900xt for $400 (from the new dx10 series), because i think that the newdx10 series wil obviously be more expensive than the curent gpu's (pricewise), considering the R580+ (1950xt/xtx)are coming out soon(in about 2 months).
July 3, 2006 7:55:05 AM

ok "ATX PowerSupply, 500W, Spire, RealPower, 120mm, Silent" is that enought?
July 3, 2006 6:15:48 PM

lol , btw a thermaltake pure power 480W (absolute max 550W, but i prefare not to test that)should be ok with the 1900xt and a core 2 duo 2.4 cpu wouldnt it?
July 23, 2006 5:12:54 AM

I just got my ATI x1900xt. I can say only one thing, get it while there's still some left. Make sure it's a retail box and that it's from ATI.

The x1900XTX is just a waste of money, RAM with a lower CL will make more of a difference.

One day when DirectX10 comes out, I will get the new version of this card and let this card run low level physics. So far it's worth every cent because this is what I need.

I upgraded from SAPHIRE 9600pro 256 MB AGP, I wouldn't change a thing right now. I know that 10x will comeout late Q6, eraly Q7 and that's why I made the change now, espesially because there's still 6 months worth of time to enjoy this here deal. Like I say, later on this card will run perfect physics. Look at the bright side, O~ it's time baby!
July 24, 2006 5:22:41 PM

I'm thinking of getting this card, and found it on NewEgg for around $300 with a mail in rebate.

QUESTION: It is the OEM version. What does this mean? Will I need anything additional to install it. How does this differ from the retail version? Thanks! :lol: 

July 24, 2006 6:07:30 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting this card, and found it on NewEgg for around $300 with a mail in rebate.

QUESTION: It is the OEM version. What does this mean? Will I need anything additional to install it. How does this differ from the retail version? Thanks! :lol: 

OEM translates to Original Equipment Manufacturer. You can trust it. Although, OEM usually comes in boxes of multiple quantities and is wraped in a plastic bag rather than a retail box. Meaning that the distributer gets mass quantities of these cards and they're all brand new, yet will never have any of the components that usually come with a retail box. More than likely it will not even have the latest driver.

OEM basically means that the card is a different brand.

In terms of performance, which varies. OEM means that the maker who made the thing before he shipped the product off to the distributer had a certain set of instructions, a set of guide lines to build by. In my previous post I have stated that I recomend ATI brand because they designed the card and they made the thing. Manufacturers that use a set of comands sometimes implement their own shortcuts and/or addons. Besides, when some one else remakes a video cards the thing isn't ever complete. That is why I would only suggest ATI as a manufacturer.

Oh and did I forget to mention quality tech support, compatibility and reliablity that'll go a long way? Go with retail, can't go wrong.
July 24, 2006 6:53:10 PM

Quote:

Fast. Tricvial to OC.
Hot but not as hot as I expected. Hotter when OC'ed
Excellent image quality.

Quote:
--what gpu did u have before this one?

The last FUNCTIONAL card I had was an eVga 7600GS (which was a bargain). I tried a 7900GT, two 7900GTX's and a superclocked 7900GTX, all of which were defective.

Quote:
--would You buy the gpu if You knew as mutch as You know about it now (using it)

Yes. With the recent price drops, it looks like a bargain.

Quote:
--are there any problems with it?

Zero.

Quote:
--will You be upgrading soon to a newer card? (is this one becoming 2 slow, compared to available info online, and to Your own needs?)

No plans to upgrade. I need to find out more about DRM on Vista before I change the OS so it might be a while before I get a DX10 card.
July 24, 2006 7:35:41 PM

-will You be upgrading soon to a newer card? (is this one becoming 2 slow, compared to available info online, and to Your own needs?

The card has been awesome. Going from a 9700 mobility to this is a HUGE jump.

Definately worth getting. I would buy it again if I could.

I have a HIS x1900xt ICEQ3. It's the one with an Arctic Cooling heatsink on it. I haven't had any problems with the heat it produces. It does draw a lot of power, but I have a 700w PSU so no worries.

In terms of DX10 cards, there's just too many questions as far as availibity. Since Windows Vista is delayed, I wonder if DX10 cards are as well.

If you got the x1900xt now, I think you'd be good to go until next-gen games come out. (Unreal 2007, Crysis, etc.)

Good luck.
July 24, 2006 8:16:45 PM

how is it ? /gneral impresions

KICKS SERIOUS BUTT

7900GTX (just as good, except it doesn't break after 5 days)

Yes, similar framerates as my 7900 but better visual quality oh ya an
HDR+AA :D 

HELL YES

Runs a little toasty, nothing taking the side off the comp can't fix

Nope, i am broke and i don't trust vista, so unless i get physically dragged kicking and sctreaming to upgrade to a dx10 card and vista i'll be happy here for a number of years :D 

i would get it again, and again and again.
July 24, 2006 9:17:00 PM

Quote:
i am pretty sure ATI is an IP(intellectual property) company only and doesn't make anything. ATI made stuff is usually made by a selected partner like sappire or someone. AFAIK they do not own a single fab nor make a single PCB.

Ahh, again... Got my head in the clouds. Thanx for pointing that out, I didn't know that fact. I am or at least was trying to convey the point of geting a 'ATI' Brand over '*' :oops: 

I did not know if there's a difference between ATI and the people that manufacture the product vs. rivalry, but tried to be a little on the safe side.

For all I care:

-ATI Brand x1900xt.
Rocks.

-Card I had/upgraded from
9600 Sapphire/ATI 256MB/AGPx4

-Reason I upgraded
$XXX, that and this card is one of the best

-Would I get x1900xt again? Or would I get it again if knew nothing or close to nothing.
YES and YES again

-would I get x1900xtx?
only for $XXX + $X

-Reason not to get lower upgrade
one day this here x1900xt will run my physics,
can't send kids to do a mans job

-DX10/VISTA?
I never think that far ahead.

Cooling solution: Zalman VF900
OC is a must, CCC

Right now I don't need to upgrade.
Reasons not to upgrade: power consumption, heat and + $XXX/real need for DX10 in future
July 25, 2006 3:45:10 AM

thx all for the replies, i was thinking of getinf a good card that would handle crysis with the quality thats presented in the demo videos which have been released so far(or atleast close to it, whithout using xfire), so now im begining to think that it might be beter for me to wai till the dx10 cards come out
July 25, 2006 4:36:54 AM

Quote:
...yet will never have any of the components that usually come with a retail box. More than likely it will not even have the latest driver.

OEM basically means that the card is a different brand.

In terms of performance, which varies.... ...I recomend ATI brand because they designed the card and they made the thing. Manufacturers that use a set of comands sometimes implement their own shortcuts and/or addons. Besides, when some one else remakes a video cards the thing isn't ever complete. That is why I would only suggest ATI as a manufacturer.

Oh and did I forget to mention quality tech support, compatibility and reliablity that'll go a long way? Go with retail, can't go wrong.

OEM is the same exact card as retail. It just does not come in a retail box (got that right), does not include any software beyond the drivers and does come wrapped in "bulk" packaging. (got that right too) Also almost all manufacturers do not include a warranty w/ them as whatever OEM builder (Dell, HP etc.) is using them supplies the warranty.

It does come w/ all cables that are required for the card. There are NO speed/performance penalties w/ OEM and they are NOT a different "brand". The driver CD is the same as retail, and almost no driver cd has the "current" driver on it, retail or not. You will always have to dl the newest one.

Oh, and just like Nv, ati demands that 3rd party manufacturers adhere to the minimum specs, and the only real options on the high end are to oc the cards... which means it is better then stock. (on the low end they can mess w/ memory specs/size more)

Having disputed all of that, I agree w/ you that service and support ARE worth the extra $. Warranty (like the lifetime one on my powercolor) are also worth it in the event of a failure. My 9700pro was an ATI branded card (they are the only ones w/ the AIW) and I never had one issue. BUT, the premium for "built by ATI" cards in relation to the warranty is not worth it IMO. Not when other companies are either way cheaper w/ the same warranty, or slightly cheaper w/ a better one (mine was at the time)

@ the OP:
I love my 1900xt. Like stranger I will pay for performance but do not expect this card to lose life until at least gen2 of the dx10 cards.

I moved up from the aforementioned 9700pro AIW, and while that card is still kicking after 3 years (oc'd w/ new sinks but rockin) it was time for better performance. ;) 
July 25, 2006 3:19:42 PM

im still using a 7500 aiw lol , btw will a all in wonder dx10 card outperform the 1900xt(considering the R600 chip, and ddr4)? or thats rather imposible not likely to happen?
July 25, 2006 3:23:10 PM

dunno, no-one knows how any dx10 cards will do.
July 25, 2006 3:26:47 PM

i would get the dx9 card since dx10 cards will most likely be ungodly expensive and probably initally not worth the extra money. but by the time they become more financially feasable dx10 will bemore mature. also considering vista is the only thing that will be released soon that supports dx10 i wouldn't be to worried as there will be bugs.
July 25, 2006 3:29:06 PM

is that a reply to me? I am not in the market for a new card...
July 25, 2006 3:30:05 PM

no i'm lazy so i hit the nearest reply button. :D 
July 25, 2006 3:56:31 PM

lol i do that often as well lol, but how much would it cost(aproximately) i supose it should cost as much as the all other old lignups did. so i guess a vanila 2000 series (i mean r600) would go for around 400 or so wouldnt it(whithout all in wonder capabilities)
July 25, 2006 4:03:02 PM

i am not sure, but for me when i got my x1900xt (around june) it cost me 636 bucks, thats in canadian btw. initally they will probably be better, but i would wait on getting a dx10 card for about 1 year to 1 1/2 years till after the first cards hit the market :D  but thats just my opinon.
July 25, 2006 4:55:27 PM

i think that i would probably not be able to wait that 1 or 1.5 of a year :cry:  , considering im still using a radeon 7500 aiw , and if a midrange XL or so version of the dx10 cards comes out that will beat the 1900xt (by atleast a bit) i would be happy with it (if it will be at about the same price as the 1900xt is now, max $400)
July 25, 2006 6:54:50 PM

what i meant was you upgrade now or just as dx10 cards come get the x1900xt and then when dx10 markets mature the cards will be more reasonabily priced. instead of waiting and getting a dx10 card right as they come out and endure any glitches they may have. :D  just as an option.
July 25, 2006 7:14:29 PM

i know lol but i prefare to buy just 1 card (and maby, ok for shoor pay a bit more for it ), rather than get a new card and replace it in a year or so, and bedided the dx10 "lifespan" ev en of the midrange cards should be beter than a "lifespan" of a higher end dx9 card shouldnt it? looking at shaders and such, for instance i cant play many games (if any) because my curent card only suports im not shoor what its name is texture end light shading, im not shoor but i doubt it suports even shader model 1 not mentioning 2 , i bought myselfe bfme2 and i cant even play it on even low lvls, so i cant wait for a new build.
!