echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Hi folks.

I know keyboards have been discussed before but I would like everyone who reads this thread to keep in mind that I'm not looking for features. I'm looking for great feel and overall quality.

The keyboard I have now is a wireless logitech (mx700 cordless duo?) that I had purchased with the intention of using in a home theatre environment. I don't like it for games because if you don't push the keys STRAIGHT down, it sometimes (too often, since new) gets stuck...and then I die, and then I get mad, and then I wanna break things....lol

That being said, I'm buying a whole new AM2 rig from NCIX in about a week and a half (don't want to hear about how I should wait...cause I can't) and I'd really like to buy a new keyboard with my setup. I want a black keyboard that's of good quility and feel. It doesn't really matter how much it costs just as long as you know for certain from experience that it's good. I'd prefer corded as I have a razer diamonback that is also corded, and of course I still have my logitech if I ever needed cordless. The most major perameter is that I'd really like to get it from NCIX with aaaaaalllllllllll my other stuff, so here's the link.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?majorcatid=107&minorcatid=101

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much in advance! Happy Canada Day to all of my fellow Canadians out there and happy/merry/good Independance Day to the Americans...:D

P.S: I'm STOKED about my new case... :)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16369&vpn=PC-767&manufacture=LIAN-LI

EDIT: Moderators, can you move this thread please? It read general discussions and I did not notice it was under "overclocking". Thanks.

Weirdo

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I agree with Prophecy, go with the Logitech G15. I dont know for certain on the exact release date but if you dont want to spend $100 on a keyboard, Logitech is currently developing a G15 w/o the LCD screen, the G11.

Recently, I bought myself a Logitech G15 keyboard and G7 SE mouse. I LOVE both. The backlight keys on the keyboard are wonderful and not over-ly bright so your eyes dont get distracted. The LCD screen can be programmed to show whatever you want (if you have a programming app, like Visual Studio) or you can find plenty of useful apps on the internet for it. It has built-in support to show things like RAM and CPU usage, current song info from both Windows Media Player and WinAmp, and a few others. The key-press feel is the best I have ever used, smooth, quite, and comfortable.

the set i had before this was a wireless Logitech setup (cant remember the EXACT name but I think it was like the LX 110 or something), I got sick of having to replace the batteries on both (the G7 is wireless, I know, it has 2 rechargable batteries which charge lightning fast).

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

Regarding the Logitech G15,

i recently purchased and returned a G15 the pros and cons were such
pros...
1. this thing has an LCD!!
2. progammable keys/ multimedia keys (play, pause)
3. great build quality*
4. key feel is great
5. USB connectivity in the keyboard**
6. it lights up

cons
1. price
2. paint will wear off if used ALOT*
3. LCD doesn't support everything and you have to d/l the app in order for it to work ( like w/ BF2), also forced me to d/l a beta version of ventrilo to utilize it
4. USB only supports 1.1**(this means wont support things that need alot of power)
5. its has a huge footprint
6. keys are smaller than normal (weird adjustment at first)

all in all the LCD is really cool, i was like "no way, i'm sure i'll use the LCD it'll be awesome", in the end i found it not worth the money, the LCD is cool but not exactly practical after personal experience

so i traded it in and got a Saitek Eclipse, the Eclipse looks great and the keys are normal size and it lights up 3x brighter than the G15, and it come in red or blue

so in the end i would recommend the

Saitek Eclipse

or that

Logitech Media Keyboard

Note: the saitek is 65 bucks on NCIX but is only 40 bucks on newegg, this is what prices i am referring to, so buying the eclipse from NCIX isn't as good of a deal vs. newegg (i know your limited to ncix)

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

I have the G15 as well, and to be honest I don't like it much. It's a decent keyboard don't get me wrong, but the price is pretty high, but only justifiable if you use the extra macro keys and such. The lighting is nice but at the same time you can grab a lighted keyboard for much cheaper. (I've also heard about the paint wearing off but I've had it for 4 months with intensive use and see no such thing)

I think the main reason I didn't like it is because I don't exactly have the most dextrous hands so I prefer the keys to be a bit more spaced, like in the Microsoft keyboards. Personally, the Microsoft keyboards suit me better but everyone is different. I would say a majority of people prefer Logitech.

I have two of the Saitek Eclipses. I've had them over a year now and none of the keys rubbed off. It doesn't offer a lot of features, but it's comfortable and plays games well. The lighting also works well at night.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
In reading these posts, I will have to go to my local store to check them
out. It's better to see how they feel, before you purchase.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Go with the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard. It's incredibly comfortable, feels sturdy and has some nice features for a corded keyboard. I use it with my gaming rig and have been so satisfied with it.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Go with the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard. It's incredibly comfortable, feels sturdy and has some nice features for a corded keyboard. I use it with my gaming rig and have been so satisfied with it.

I've always liked Microsoft keyboards. For some reason I can't bring myself to purchase a wireless one. It could be because I have it stuck in my head that wireless < corded when it comes to gaming. Or it could be because I don't want to deal with lost signal or dead batteries.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
The Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard is a corded USB board and it's response time is excellent. It's the preferred keyboard of choice for my gaming rig. You can always go to a Best Buy, CompUSA or Microcenter and have a look at it if you are not settled on getting it. You will love how solid it feels and it's overall feature set.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
The G5 mouse, it's sweet. What I like most about it is that you can adjust it's weight with the tiny weights that come with it - and it has an adjustable laser tracking system

TSIllusion

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I also recommend microsoft keyboards too! their paint NEVER rubs off, ive been using my natural ergo keyboard for like... at least 3 years, ts great.

Also, i find the G15 pretty useless, I mean, whats the point of looking down at the small LCD thing when ur always looking at ur monitor... its not practical, if u want to check stuff, just look them over on the monitor. id rather save bout... 40$ and click a few more buttons than buy the G15.

In the end, I got to say, I love Microsoft Keyboards, they are so great, and they dont look bad either, my natural ergo is black, and i love it a lot! the keys are pretty spaced for my fingers, so thats a good thing, so you shouldnt have a problem. and they all usually come with extra multimedia buttons.

I also recommend microsoft keyboards too! their paint NEVER rubs off, ive been using my natural ergo keyboard for like... at least 3 years, ts great.

Also, i find the G15 pretty useless, I mean, whats the point of looking down at the small LCD thing when ur always looking at ur monitor... its not practical, if u want to check stuff, just look them over on the monitor. id rather save bout... 40$ and click a few more buttons than buy the G15.

In the end, I got to say, I love Microsoft Keyboards, they are so great, and they dont look bad either, my natural ergo is black, and i love it a lot! the keys are pretty spaced for my fingers, so thats a good thing, so you shouldnt have a problem. and they all usually come with extra multimedia buttons.

Actually I use the LCD on my G15 all the time. The G keys are also EXTREMELY useful. I don't think i'll ever go back to a keyboard without them. Logitech fixed the paint issue a long time ago.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
The ONLY beef I have with Logitech keyboards (especially the wireless bluetooth products) is thei oh so cheap wrist rest attachments - something that Microsoft's keyboards don't suffer from.

The ONLY beef I have with Logitech keyboards (especially the wireless bluetooth products) is thei oh so cheap wrist rest attachments - something that Microsoft's keyboards don't suffer from.

I didn't even attach the one that came with my G15. Not because it was cheap or because it broke easily, just because I don't use them.

echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Thank you so much guys...I think maybe I might try the G15 out...why not? ;) This isn't set in stone, of course, I'm still looking...

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I have both the G15 and the eclipse and I use the G15, I like the ability to program macros (works well with buying guns & equipment in CS) but it is a BIG keyboard.

Eubank

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
AMD also do a very nice little applet for the G15 that displays clock, HTT, FSB timing speeds.
Check out some of the G15 fansites for other utilities such as Netspeed (displays your Up and down load speeds) and a great Counter Strike Source applet.
There's also a little proggy that uses the LCD panel for typing letters or text docs....great if like me your shit at typing coz u don't need to look up at your monitor.