Sign in with
Your question

A8n32-SLi deluxe woofer problem

Last response: in Motherboards
July 2, 2006 7:09:58 AM

I am having problems with the woofer output in 6 channel mode. I have used the ASUS 'Sound Effect' icon in the tray and tested the Speaker Configuration and 3D Audio Demo. The six channels work ok except for the woofer output.

These outputs are connected to a Medusa amplifier with surround sound headset. There are two inputs and outputs on the Medusa and I have tried both. I am sure the Medusa is ok because when I connect a pair of ordinary PC headphones into the mobo Centre/Woofer socket and run the Speaker Configuration test I get 'Centre' ok in one ear and no 'Woofer' in the other, so I am sure its the mobo output that is missing.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get the woofer output working?

klem
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2006 8:02:05 AM

Quote:
I am having problems with the woofer output in 6 channel mode. I have used the ASUS 'Sound Effect' icon in the tray and tested the Speaker Configuration and 3D Audio Demo. The six channels work ok except for the woofer output.

These outputs are connected to a Medusa amplifier with surround sound headset. There are two inputs and outputs on the Medusa and I have tried both. I am sure the Medusa is ok because when I connect a pair of ordinary PC headphones into the mobo Centre/Woofer socket and run the Speaker Configuration test I get 'Centre' ok in one ear and no 'Woofer' in the other, so I am sure its the mobo output that is missing.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get the woofer output working?

klem

I have an ASUS P5LD2-VM board with a Realtek ALC 882 Audio 8 Channel chip. In 1971 I hooked up an 8 track with a reverb placed in the glove box of my '64 Chevy ragtop and listened to Hendrix when He was learnin' his licks. He was hung up on power chords until about '69.That efing 8 channel sound on an ASUS board is'a one tough nut to crack. Just keep screwing with the popups and one day it will start workin' right the way you want it.
July 2, 2006 11:58:56 PM

klem, lucky u that u can have ur onboard sound in 6 channel mode. i can never get my 4 channel mode to work. i can only get sound rear output, not front. i have already sent an email to asus tech support, and will let u know the outcome.
very disappoint with asus, we pay the top money, but got a crappy product.
Related resources
July 3, 2006 8:31:43 PM

I guess you also have the A8N32-SLi? Did you use the Realtek soundmanager (black icon in tray) for Connector Sensing test? What did it find? Mine finds power speakers on all six channels (F, R, Centre & woofer) with the medusa connected but still no output from Subwoofer.
July 12, 2006 5:47:00 PM

Hi Klem

did you solve the problem, I have a set of 2.1's and after I disconnected them I can't remember which order you put them back in (only one has a colour - Lime green). Any help much appreciated

thanks Simon
July 12, 2006 9:55:18 PM

Hi Simon,

yes, I am sorry I should have reported back.

I decided to remove the mobo to see if there was anything obvious. There wasn't. However when I put it back I was checking the various connectors (front panel etc) in the manual and I noticed that the sound connectors were different to those shown on screen in the AC97 control panel (where the speaker sensing and audio tests are).

What happened next doesn't really make any sense unless I disturbed something taking out the mobo but....

I plugged the Medusa in as shown in the mobo manual. I found I now had all six channels except that the rear and centre/woofer jacks were interchanged (according to what I could hear). So I swapped them and all was then ok. BUT, now they were back as the on-screen AC97 control panel, i.e. as I had them originally.

Did I disturb something? Did the sockets get re-identified when I plugged the Medusa in (auto sense at plug-in was on)? I don't know.

On screen AC97 panel shows:

Rear...................Line In

Side...................Front

Cent/SubWoof....Mic

Manual shows:-

Cent/SubWoof....Line In

Side..................Front

Rear.................Mic

I got little help from ASUS:-

"BIOS in default settings. Please test it with the latest audio driver first:ftp://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/RealTek/ALC8... If not helpful, please test it with another amplifier or 5.1/7.1 sound box. If the problem still the same, Please kindly contact with your local reseller where you bought the product for a check. If it is due to motherboard faulty, the local reseller will send it to us through distributor for RMA. We will solve your problem as soon as possible.

If you have any problem, please refer FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions) or contact us again. We will try our best to help you."

I updated the driver before removing the mobo but it didn't help.

Good luck, if you have any questions I'll try to answer them but I got there more by luck than judgement.

klem
July 12, 2006 9:59:47 PM

thanks Klem - thanks for letting me know - I think the problem with mine is that I've reconnected them so many times its caused a software hangup - evry time I open the configuartion set up it blue screens. It's OK the speakers were a £10 short term solution - the basic problem is that they're not colour coded
It's crazy isn't it that theyaren't all colour coded.

thanks again
simon
July 13, 2006 8:34:40 PM

Simon,

you could try uninstalling the AC97 Audio and then re-installing it again.

This is the latest driver:
ftp://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/RealTek/ALC8...

.....although ASUS gave me that and the link didn't work. So I went to their site, found the mobo drivers and downloaded it that way.

If the Speakers were only a pair they'd probably only work in the Front jack. If not, is there a website with the connection details?

good luck

klem
!