graphics card wont fit? help plsss

bf2ftwin

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
i just got a geforce7950 after my old geforce 6600 started falling behind.

so i got it about aweek ago and so i took out my old card and tried to put in the new card but it wouldnt fit. i called one of my friends and he didnt know what to do so he came over, after trying doing different things he just told me to cut it. so i carefully tried to cut it straight across with a boxcutter (didnt have anything else at the time) but didnt manage to all the way, and it still didnt fit. im kinda afraid i messed it up and maybe voided its warranty... so yea.. any help here?

should i cut the smaller peice too? i decided not to do anything else until i ask someone else. i dont think my friends knows what hes doing.

7950gtxminees0ve.jpg

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I'm the NOOB here so I'll give him my 2 cents just in case he is telling the truth.

Yes, you have voided the warranty and yes you probably have stuffed up the card. The lesson you should learn from this is do not cut computer equipment, don't try to hotfix components unless you have the required electronic/electrical knowledge.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
good link dude, I read a few of them way to funny, reminds me of the day I got my first computer, I read all about format not quite understanding the whole thing booted up, put in the 5.25 floppy and formatted, ha I said I did it. The computer froze from a stupid run command line 20 and rebooted and WTF, no dos disk please replace the disk and try again. I sure found out what format ment quick.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Regardless of if you are BSing about cutting the card or whatever it is you are cutting........

First of all, a 7950 x 2 should be shorter than the VGA you have in that picture........

That picture you posted is the older version, the 7900 x 2!!!!!!

But if you cut the card..........it's now officially a 7950 x 2 anyway!!!!!

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I've seen this exact thing before, where someone posted that they cut the extra pins off the connector so it would fit. har har

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I have to thank you for your post; it's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Please never post here again. Just go buy a Dell, and if you open your computer, try not to touch those spinning things.

P.S. Can you PLEEEEEEZ post a picture of how you cut the card?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks for the laugh seeing as this is most likely a reused joke. If you truly did cut your videocard, I suggest you start by killing your friend and spending a lot of time reading up on these things in advance.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
of course he should open his comp. preferably he should open his PSU and test if it works with a moistened finger :twisted:

I'll bet that he sticks magnets on the side of his case, and then wonders why he gets disk read/write errors.

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
WTF???!!! are you jokin, you cant seriously think that if you cut through electronical components and actualy think them to still work...............they are there for a reason......thats not even funny you could of and probably have just about ruined the best graphics card you can buy out there

bf2ftwin

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
k.. so i cant get ahold of my friend and appearently from the posts my warrenty is shot and so is my card, great. now im out 400.

and the card said pci somewhere in the description, i have like 4 or 5 pci slots, NONE of them worked.

why would i have a picture of me cutting it? i didnt expect this to happen. i only took a picture to give u an idea of how much i cut off incase i had cut too much. thanks alot though, i can see im *really* being helped here.

I'm almost dumb enough to believe this. Tell you why. A friend of mine had a customer come in his shop to repair his motherboard because the halfassed client somehow tried to force a pci-e card into his agp slot, bending over one of the "pins" inside the slot.......... morons...... you bet........ but they are out there.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I say this in shame: I cut a card once. It was an old ISA SCSI card, and I didn't know what it did. Only I had to use a hacksaw, and it took me about 10 minutes. Did break it. Didn't work afterwards. Didn't care. Did sell it to some schmuck for $15.

Stay in school. Drink your milk. Don't cut your computer components.