MarlboroCowboyCub

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Hi, I'm new to the forums. Tom's Hardware has a load of great info, I hope the forums turn out to be just as helpful.

I want to build myself a new system, but my tech skills are a bit out-dated since I haven't had the cash to keep up with the newest tech. For example, I know very little about SATA HD interfaces or Dual Core processors.

Even knowing that, I'd like to start planning a new homebuilt system. Because my skills are out-dated, I'm not sure what my best options are. Hopefully some people can chime in with informed opinions.

To start, my budget, while not unlimited, is fairly high, since I intend this system to last a long time. I want the system to handle my cable TV (HD capable), music (FM tuner in additional to regular audio), games, web browsing, and just about anything else I can throw at it.

I'd like to integrate as much as possible into it. For example, I want to eliminate my cable box, so the system should support using a CableCard. I'll have DSL, so I'd like to use an internal DSL modem. I'd also like to have a V.92 data/fax/voice capable hardware controlled modem, for a backup in case DSL goes down. I also plan to use the modem to screen and record voice calls as well as function as an answering machine.

Unless anyone has a better idea, I'd like to base the system on a Pentium D 805, since it has great overclocking ability. I plan to run the system just below the edge, so good cooling is essential. I'd also like to max out the RAM. If I'm not mistaken, the max supported is 4 GB, due to processor addressing limitations. For primary storage, I'm considering 2 750 GB Seagates, since they are the largest drives out, and have the best warranty. I'd like to hook up the drives in a RAID 0 array to provide redundancy. I'd also like a DVD writer thats capable of duplicating storebought DVDs. I'm sick of discs getting damaged and becoming useless. I'd also like the system to use a wireless keyboard and mouse.

What sort of power supply would be needed to support the system, with some overhead for breathing room? If I'm not mistaken, most power supplies shouldn't be loaded past 80%, give or take.

Lastly, since dust can cause a system to fail over time, what are my options for filtration of its incoming air supply?

Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

I realize this is a long post, but I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm new to the forums. Tom's Hardware has a load of great info, I hope the forums turn out to be just as helpful.

I want to build myself a new system, but my tech skills are a bit out-dated since I haven't had the cash to keep up with the newest tech. For example, I know very little about SATA HD interfaces or Dual Core processors.

Even knowing that, I'd like to start planning a new homebuilt system. Because my skills are out-dated, I'm not sure what my best options are. Hopefully some people can chime in with informed opinions.

To start, my budget, while not unlimited, is fairly high, since I intend this system to last a long time. I want the system to handle my cable TV (HD capable), music (FM tuner in additional to regular audio), games, web browsing, and just about anything else I can throw at it.

I'd like to integrate as much as possible into it. For example, I want to eliminate my cable box, so the system should support using a CableCard. I'll have DSL, so I'd like to use an internal DSL modem. I'd also like to have a V.92 data/fax/voice capable hardware controlled modem, for a backup in case DSL goes down. I also plan to use the modem to screen and record voice calls as well as function as an answering machine.

Unless anyone has a better idea, I'd like to base the system on a Pentium D 805, since it has great overclocking ability. I plan to run the system just below the edge, so good cooling is essential. I'd also like to max out the RAM. If I'm not mistaken, the max supported is 4 GB, due to processor addressing limitations. For primary storage, I'm considering 2 750 GB Seagates, since they are the largest drives out, and have the best warranty. I'd like to hook up the drives in a RAID 0 array to provide redundancy. I'd also like a DVD writer thats capable of duplicating storebought DVDs. I'm sick of discs getting damaged and becoming useless. I'd also like the system to use a wireless keyboard and mouse.

What sort of power supply would be needed to support the system, with some overhead for breathing room? If I'm not mistaken, most power supplies shouldn't be loaded past 80%, give or take.

Lastly, since dust can cause a system to fail over time, what are my options for filtration of its incoming air supply?

Thanks!

>>Unless anyone has a better idea, I'd like to base the system on a Pentium D 805, since it has great overclocking ability.<<

What kind of cooling do you propose we discuss?

MarlboroCowboyCub

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006

Thanks!

>>Unless anyone has a better idea, I'd like to base the system on a Pentium D 805, since it has great overclocking ability.<<

What kind of cooling do you propose we discuss?

I'm guessing that I'd be pushing the limits of air cooling. If thats the case, then what are my options for water cooling?

MarlboroCowboyCub

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
>>I'm guessing that I'd be pushing the limits of air cooling. If thats the case, then what are my options for water cooling?<<

Your choice of the Pentium 805 D Smithfield finds you at the bottom of the rung on the ladder of the Pentium D world. Try reading some of the reviews here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001

A lot of folks are getting 4.0 and above with air.

I'm thinking of the Pentium D 805 because of its price/performance ratio, and its glowing review here on THG. The Newegg reviews were positive, what exactly were you referring to? If not the Pentium D 805, then what would you suggest?

Also, if air cooling is more than adequate, then there is no need to consider water cooling.

>>I'm thinking of the Pentium D 805 because of its price/performance ratio, and its glowing review here on THG. The Newegg reviews were positive, what exactly were you referring to? If not the Pentium D 805, then what would you suggest?<<

Absolutely. A dual core processor running at 3.5 ghz. for $107 is amazing. You should be able to put together a very fast, all around outstanding machine to handle all your needs beginning with the 805 D Smithfield processor. I did.

I'm sure others have somethig to say or add about which processor is better than the other. Personally, I think the processor is an excellent choice. Now you have to surround it with high performance periphals like a video card and RAM. There are a lot of great products out there. All up for discussion.

In recent years AMD has taken the lead in the world of processor sales. I'm curious. Have you owned a pentium processor in the past or did the THG article describing their experience withe Pentium 805 D sway you towards Pentium? Have you considered what AMD has to offer with their line of processors? The competition between the two has really heated up in recent years with AMD outselling Intel for the first time last fall.

mulciber

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Alright.

To start, my budget, while not unlimited, is fairly high, since I intend this system to last a long time.
We need a figure to aim for, how high is your budget?

I want the system to handle my cable TV (HD capable), music (FM tuner in additional to regular audio), games, web browsing, and just about anything else I can throw at it.
Then a Pentium D will not do the job very well, especially not a low-end pentium D. Good luck with video & games.

I'd like to integrate as much as possible into it. For example, I want to eliminate my cable box, so the system should support using a CableCard.
Any system with pci should support a cable/satellite card.

Unless anyone has a better idea, I'd like to base the system on a Pentium D 805, since it has great overclocking ability. I plan to run the system just below the edge, so good cooling is essential.
Sigh. This processor got a lot of hype because thg got it over 4.1ghz for the price. In reality, with the cost of your exotic cooling, you could probably get better performance out of a higher-end, overclocked-on-air processor. With the new conroe on the horizon, and the lower prices of AMD processors--really the pentium D should not even be considered at this point... Just to drive this home I am going to point out that the 805 D oc'ed to 4.1ghz still wont come close to an AMD fx 62, but a conroe e6300 (~$150) or an e6400 (~$250) or an e6600 (~$350) will score near, or beat the fx 62 in both games and office type work.

For primary storage, I'm considering 2 750 GB Seagates, since they are the largest drives out, and have the best warranty. I'd like to hook up the drives in a RAID 0 array to provide redundancy.
This is pretty much a waste of money. Especially since I sincerely doubt you would fill a 500gb HDD in a year.

I'd also like a DVD writer thats capable of duplicating storebought DVDs. I'm sick of discs getting damaged and becoming useless.
Did you just suggest that there should be a DVD burner that is capable to bypass DRM restrictions? Where do I even begin with whats wrong with this?? :roll:

I'd also like the system to use a wireless keyboard and mouse.
Ok this is one you probably wouldn't know from just reading, but a wireless keyboard and mouse are HORRIBLE for gaming... especially online gaming.

There are cheap pci exhaust cards available. I don't think they're very effective.

I really suggest reading a bit more, and then coming back to buy around this time next month (after amd price drops and conroe release).

Regards,
Mulciber

mr_hayt

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Here's my suggestions:

1. If you want you computer to last as long as possible, wait for windows vista to come out and than buy all the parts.
2. Also relating to computer life span, overclocking is not the best idea unless you need the extra speed and do not want to spend the money on the faster model. There are three exceptions: A) You plan to upgrade the part soon, so lifespan doesn't matter B) Many value chips are exactly the same as their higher performance counterparts, these chips can be easily overclocked C) You are overclocking a Pentium M or a Pentium D 805 8)
3. Four gigs of ram is more than you will use under normal use. For example i am just surfing the Internet right now and my total used memory is 333 Mb, If i log into WoW, with the Internet still open, i am using 718 MB, if i run Doom3, WoW and the Internet i use 1.07 GB, so four gigs is a bit excessive for normal home use. However, if you have a use for that much ram (such as CAD software like PRO|E or Solidworks) once again, i recommend waiting for windows vista because it will be a 64 bit operating system and you will be able to address huge amounts of ram..i don't remember how much..sorry
4. Finally, if your looking for speed, than RAID 0 is the way to go, but RAID 0 is also twice as prone to hard drive failures as having no raid. If you want data security, the basic option is RAID 1.

If it was me building this computer for my needs, i would go with windows vista, a Core 2 proc(soon to be released) a direct x 10 vid card(also forthcoming with windows vista) 2 gigs of ram (i have three right now, but only because of a mix up with defective parts) a Primary software HD like the WD raptor (or 2 HD's in a raid 0) and a secondary data hard rive(like the seagate 750's)

anyway, this is a reflection of what i would do given the money to build a computer, if it doesn't meet your needs than disregard it 8)

mr_hayt

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
in response to mulciber:
This may be the Internet, but its still rude to pick apart some ones thoughts like that. Try to think of the people that post on forms as REAL people and respond to them in kind[/b].

Also, storing your DVDs on your computer or making copies is in no way illegal. With a large drive such as that new segate, you can store all your DVDs on your computer, us a program like DVD Decrypter to rip them. If you want to copy them to new DVDs, your on your own, i don't know too much about that process as I'm too cheap to buy blank dual layer DVDs

mulciber

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
I picked apart someone's thoughts on request. You may find it rude, but it may have saved him a few dollars and gotten him better performance. If only everyone was so lucky! Please mind your own business in the future, thanks!

Also it is illegal in certain countries/territories, but either way suggesting a piece of hardware should be able to get around restrictions in ridiculous.

mr_hayt

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Its not so much that what you said was wrong, i agree with most of it, just pick better words. For example saying its ridiculous that a piece of hardware is built that ignores copy protection is the wrong way to say something to a person who says that they have been away from hardware for a while. The appropriate and polite thing to say would be: I do not believe there is any such hardware. Furthermore, you can update your firmware on some models to do just that...of course its not recommended, but you still can.

mulciber

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
I am not aware of firmware updates that effectively ignore and bypass all drm restrictions. I can think of firmware updates that can be used to get around digital watermarking in HD-DVD. If I am incorrect and such updates exist please point me to an article. :wink:

As for my methods for conveying my message, I pick my words methodically and deliberately. It is a matter of personal philosophy that we differ. I would appreciate it if you did not try to shove you philosophy and methods on me.

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Mr Hayt might not be the only one who finds the way you write a touch offensive, with your sighs! and if only people would read before making decisions! and taking a request to duplicate DVD he obtained legitimately, which I'm sure way too many of us do anyway, as a request to bypass DRM.

I found it a little condascending.

But then opinions are what makes the world interesting.

Sigh.

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Actually, if you move now, I'd recommend an AMD X2 processor. If this is preliminary research, as it appears, then wait and see what Intel's Conroe may have to offer on a price/performance basis.

Dust free is more a function of your PC case. The three Lian Li cases I use have filtration built in and they're both easy to clean and need it regularly.

The periphals you're looking for are available now though configuring them all to act as you desire may take some work.

I've heard that DVDs can be copied and are functional but the question of legality may arise in some areas. While you can legally make a backup copy of any piece of software you are licensed to use, I'm not sure how this applies to recorded entertainment other than music CDs, which are also legal to backup. Note that this is in the US. I don't know about other countries though I suspect Europe may be more liberal in this regard.

The key to this industry is that hardware gets better, faster and less expensive. Software tends to get more bloated, inconvenient, unstable, insecure and more expensive. As a result of this, I've made the change to Linux. Not as game friendly but entirely stable, secure and inexpensive (assuming you can spell FREE). Check out MythTV for your video needs.

Oh yeah, I prefer wireless keyboarding/mouse usage. I've had no problems but I'm a comparatively light gamer playing nothing more challenging than FEAR, Farcry, Call of Duty & the like.