What happened to all the 7800GT cards?

Lizardfuel72

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I bought anEVGA 7800GT for around $285 about 3 months ago and now I'm having a hard tme finding any. The ones I do find are all over $325, even the refurbished ones. I was thinking of going SLI, but I'm not buying 2 new cards or an overpriced refurb. Were the cards that bad or that good the manufacturers stopped putting them out?

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
They stopped making them ever since the 7900 cards came out. 7900GT can be found for about $250, and it kills the 7800GT, and beats the 7800GTX. 7800 cards are not worth buying now.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
If, what I think you are trying to, you are trying to buy a second 7800gt to do SLI then I wouldn't recommend for you not to do that anyway. The smarter thing to do would be to wait a year until the 7800gt is no longer good enough for current games. At that point your money will probably be able to buy a DirectX10 card that will be faster than two 7800gts in SLI.

sailer

Splendid
I've got a short story that might explain what happened. When I worked for Penney's decades ago, an order came down form on high to destroy all of a certain line of electronics. The stuff was good, just outdated. The pieces could not be sold, given to employees, or anything else except destroyed. The reason? There was a bigger tax deduction if the stuff was destroyed than if it was sold on a clearance sale price. So we got out some hammers from the hardware section and pounded the stuff into useless bits of trash.

What happened to all the stocks of 7800 cards that must have been produced? Can't say for sure, but some, or a lot, might have been destroyed. That way they couldn't complete against the new lines, they might have made a better tax deduction for Nvidia, etc. All that has been available may just be what Newegg, etc had on hand. After that, there is no more new replacements at any cost. Is this what happened to the 7800's? Can't say, but its possible. Tax deductions mean a lot, you know.

Lizardfuel72

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
If, what I think you are trying to, you are trying to buy a second 7800gt to do SLI then I wouldn't recommend for you not to do that anyway. The smarter thing to do would be to wait a year until the 7800gt is no longer good enough for current games. At that point your money will probably be able to buy a DirectX10 card that will be faster than two 7800gts in SLI.
That's exactly what I was planning on doing. I figured I'd get one hella cheap and roll with that for a year 1/2 or so in SLI. I guess that plan is blown. Looks like I'll be sticking with the single card until my next build next summer.

>>That's exactly what I was planning on doing. I figured I'd get one hella cheap and roll with that for a year 1/2 or so in SLI. I guess that plan is blown. Looks like I'll be sticking with the single card until my next build next summer.<<

I to am looking to buy a second EVGA 7800GT. First off, you don't have a bad card at all and in many instances, except for the fact your 7800GT has 20 pipes instead of a 7900 GT's 24, you have a much, much faster card than 7900GT specs. I can't think of the exact standard core clocks on a 7900GT, but it's somewhere in 450 mhz. range (some may be clocked lower), but my 7800GT is clocked out of the box at 470 mhz. A 7900GT's standard 256, DDR3 RAM speed is somewhere in the 1350 range. It's here the 7900GT has a slight speed advantage over the 7800GT. My card runds at 1100 Mhz. DDR3. A 7900GT is hardly faster than a a 7800GTX. I believe a 7800GTX is a better performing card than a 7900GT.

I have looked on Ebay and found EVGA 7800GT's going for slightly under $200. After looking around in Ef world, I may just stand in line and wait for a 7900GT's price drop. I may just take some time building my machine while deciding which cards to run SLI with. I'm unsure what to do right now. I have everything to turn one my AMD socket 754's into an SLI messterpiece.

I'm looking for EVGA 7800GT KO part number 256-P2-N517-AX. Here:

http://evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N517-AX&family=22

If you or anybody else has this maybe we can work something out and one of us get a useful SLI system out of them.

pauldh

Illustrious
How cheap were you hoping to find one? I bought an eVGA 7800GT about the same time you did or a little earlier (just before 7900GT release) but am not looking to sell it super cheap. How little are you asking for yours? ;)

We would have been better off trading up with evga, problem is no 7900's were in stock back during our tradeup days or I might have done just that.

sailer

Splendid
so like in 5 years or so, if you have a 7800GT, could it have a price value, or be worth something in the future?

I'd say it could have price value, just not very much. There's people still using AGP cards, even PIC cards now. 7800GT's might have value to someone, though I don't know who. Who knows, maybe someone will have a computer with a 7800GT that he can't really afford to upgrade, but he could pay $50 for another 7800GT and SLI it.

But I'm thinking of the here and now, not 5 years from now. How many people are there who have 7800GT's or 7800GTX's that can't afford another high pricer card, but if they could buy a second 7800 at a cheap price and SLI it, they would? I don't know. Its just a question. And remember, it was just last winter that the 7800 series was the best available.

Lizardfuel72

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
How cheap were you hoping to find one? I bought an eVGA 7800GT about the same time you did or a little earlier (just before 7900GT release) but am not looking to sell it super cheap. How little are you asking for yours? ;)

We would have been better off trading up with evga, problem is no 7900's were in stock back during our tradeup days or I might have done just that.

I was hoping for one around $150-$160. I figured that was a good price point for the GT. I had 2 6800 sitting around, but one was an Ultra and one a GT.

pauldh

Illustrious
I was hoping for one around $150-$160. I figured that was a good price point for the GT. I had 2 6800 sitting around, but one was an Ultra and one a GT.
I hear ya; $150 is about all I'd pay for one just to play around with SLI, but it's less than what I'd sell mine for. With all those cards sitting around, seems you may be able to sell all three and get 75% of what you need for 2-7900GT's. Unless of course you tend to hang onto them until they are worthless like I sometimes do. :?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
hey you wouldnt still have a 6800gt sitting around?
i have the same problem i have one 68gt and would like to go sli
but the 6800gts are 200 or more and hard to find
mine plays oblivion fear bf2 cod2 and the prey demo just fine
but i have always wanted to go sli since i got my sli mobo
and i found out real quick that its hard to do unless you buy
2 cards at once
i do have a 7800gtx coming that i got for 30 dollars
but it was the only one that i could get so im still in the
same boat

I've got a short story that might explain what happened. When I worked for Penney's decades ago, an order came down form on high to destroy all of a certain line of electronics. The stuff was good, just outdated. The pieces could not be sold, given to employees, or anything else except destroyed. The reason?...

That's a really nice story, but it's not why nV stopped making the G70s (they sold all they could they wouldn't simply destroy them either [they can sell them as cripples] it costs to much to make them, even now if they had one they'd sell it somehow).

nV stopped making the G70 for a very VERY simple and easy to understand reason, it cost them far less to make the G71/GF7900s (and likely with higher yields) using the 90nm process than it did to make the GF7800 on the 110nm process (not to mention the reduction in transistor count by 30+mil.), and they outperform the previous generation in every way. I bet as soon as they could get enough produced to fully replace the GF7800 they did shuting down GF7800 production, probably to the day if not the hour.

It's simple economics, it's cheaper to make the GF7900, so no need to keep making the GF7800, and then just sell of what chips remain, even if they have to be crippled or sold of in bulk to OEMs.