Lost My Additional domain controller

I lost my ADC ( windows 2000). Its dead can't bring it up.
I had to reformat and install everything from scratch.
However I have a Primary Domain controller which is working fine. Since this
server ADC crashed how do I cleanup AD
so that I can name my new server the same name of original
ADC that crashed and do dcpromo.

How do I cleanup my AD so that my old ADC doesn't exist. Please explain step
by step.

Thanks,

I have a similar problem.

The drive with the Sysvol died.

Big time trouble.

"Jazzman" wrote:

> I lost my ADC ( windows 2000). Its dead can't bring it up.
> I had to reformat and install everything from scratch.
> However I have a Primary Domain controller which is working fine. Since this
> server ADC crashed how do I cleanup AD
> so that I can name my new server the same name of original
> ADC that crashed and do dcpromo.
>
> How do I cleanup my AD so that my old ADC doesn't exist. Please explain step
> by step.
>
> Thanks,

In news:9E13B78A-F106-4FEB-997D-8588F339EC61@microsoft.com,
Curt Spanburgh <CurtSpanburgh@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
commented below
:: I have a similar problem.
::
:: The drive with the Sysvol died.
::
:: Big time trouble.
::
::
:: "Jazzman" wrote:

Step by step it's a long process. This should help you and Jazzman to remove
a name out of AD's database:

HOW TO Remove Data in Active Directory After an Unsuccessful Domain
Controller Demotion (Win2000) Q216498:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

Delete extinct server metadata (Win2003):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/entserver/sag_delservermetadata.asp

--
Regards,
Ace

G O E A G L E S !!!
so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Do you have another DC in the same AD domain? If yes, restore from backup
and allow AD replication to synchronize any updated contents (that includes
SYSVOL).

Desmond Lee wrote:
> Do you have another DC in the same AD domain? If yes, restore from backup
> and allow AD replication to synchronize any updated contents (that includes
> SYSVOL).

Could you list the steps for restoring from backup?

My understanding is:

1. Replace faulty hardware
2. Install Win2000 Server to same drive letter. Join Server to domain as
a Member Server
3. Install Service Packs
4. Install the Backup software and tape-drive drivers.
5. Run a Restore Job of the desired tape, telling the system to
overwrite itself? Won't the job fail because its unable to replace files
because they're in use?
6. Reboot computer
7. Everything should be fine and dandy.

Is this how it goes? What about Step 5 ?!?!