MH2727

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Ok this is my deal gentlemen and ladies, i am currently deployed but would like to build my own comp for a change. I am looking to spend around 1700bucks give or take a few pennies.
I am looking a CPU's so many choices and reviews for the money i would buy them all.
Could you give me some ideas on a motherboard and CPU selection i would like to go with AMD but that Pent. D 805 overclock sounds hot right now.

I will use this machine about 97.6% gaming only and would like to go dual core, dual vid card, and 2g ram. The only reason i post here is that i would like to order the products before i get back to the states and have it all waiting for me to put together when i return, and i dont really have the time to investigate in depth on everything i would like to so i put my trust in all of you and will make my decisions in time and will let everyone i know what i go with also premeditated thanks to all that help.

Any suggestions advice and critisism is welcomed.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well you have a lot of options.
Conroe is releasing end of month and early numbers seem to show it will be a bit ahead of what AMD will be offering. However the boards are very expensive and untested.
AMD's AM2 is fairly cheap and sets you up for the new 65nm X2 when it comes out. It also sets you up for the quad cores next year. You could buy a cheaper cpu for now. They will drop a lot once conroe is released by Intel.
You need to make this decision first.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
The Conroe is an excellent performer however; going with an AM2 board does leave the possibility of Quad core and K8L. When trying to upgrade to a quad core CPU from your Conroe, you will require a new board as Intel has done so many times in the past.

Intel’s processors are usually priced lower than AMD’s, but the motherboards are not as cheap as their AMD counterparts.

johnmar33

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
go invest with am2. but i suggest you get nvidia's 7950 over 2 graphics cards... it will save some bucks, and future quad-sli upgrade

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Kentsfield will be drop-in compatible.
'

Not entirely true. It depends on the motherboard. Not all motherbooards that accept Conroe will work with Kentsfield. Intel has publically said this. There is only one board right now that WILL work, which is a Gigabyte board thats over $200.

MH2727

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
I was thinking of going along the lines of a AM2 board actually for the fact of upgrades for quad core if i wanted to go that route. All of you are giving me great advice had to definitely look and think about this from different views thanks and anymore advice you can think of just post thanks again all.

If I were to buy an AM2 system today, I would definately make sure you get a good motherboard and good memory. I prefer ASUS for motherboards, since they haven't let me down yet. I also prefer to use Corsair memory and in your case with the budget that you have I would go with the XMS2 memory, since it is really stable. I'm not sure if the Dual video card will get you alot better graphics than the nV 7950, but I would wait on doing the Dual GFX cards for now, save you $ and put it towards something else (good case/HD/DVD burner). Just my 2 cents :p

linux_0

Splendid
I agree with everyone who has suggested AM2 because it is a very good platform and has great upgradability.

If possible, I would suggest waiting until at least the end of July / early August for the AMD price drop (50% of some models).

I also agree you should invest in the best motherboard (ASUS, DFI, Epox) and RAM (Corsair XMS, OCZ, Crucial) you can afford! You can easily upgrade the CPU and VGA later.

PSU wise you can't go wrong with Antec (True power or NeoHE), OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic or FSP group/Fortron Source.

Antec, Lian-Li, Cooler Master and Silverstone make great cases.

[Newegg wish list pending]

Thank you for your service! :-D

Semper Fi Carry^H^H^H^H^H Linux on

linux_0

Splendid
Wishlist:

Version 0.0.1

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3311265

and the obligatory backup because parts have a tendency to mysteriously disappear from newegg wish lists...

http://spare2.com/MH2727.html

$1,578.93 before shipping with a sick case and a few other parts that are overkill.

The CPU and VGA are to be upgraded after their respective price drops (to X2 and 7950GX2 respectively).

Version 0.0.2

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3311325

http://spare2.com/MH2727_0.html

$1700.36 delivered

:-D