NV SATA RAID won't boot with another PATA disk connected

Hello guys, I seriously need some help. :)

Relevant specifications
MotherBoard: MSI K8N Neo4 Diamond
MB Bios version: 1.0A
SATA disks: Raptor 34 gb
PATA disk: Maxtor 180 gb

Problem description
I'll make my story short. I upgraded my bios to the newest version for my motherboard (see specifications above) - 1.0A. Then I unplugged my PATA storage disk and reinstalled WinXP on my SATA RAID array. Then I rebooted and plugged my PATA disk back in. Now Windows won't boot - giving me an error about not being able to read from the selected boot disk. I have ofcourse check a million times that my RAID is healthy, set as bootable, set as 1. boot priority, etc.

If I unplug my PATA disk, everything is working perfectly. I suspect there's a problem with the motherboard running SATA RAID and PATA at the same time, but since there's no menu in the bios for selecting 'Combined Mode SATA/PATA' I take that the bios update made it automatically.

I have checked every single options in my BIOS for an options that could help me, but no luck. I've also tried putting the PATA on primary/secondary cable as master/slave. Nothing helps.

I have looked at other threads and seen 1 thread that had almost similar problem, but the solution there didn't help me either, so I really hope someone is gonna use some time to help me out, I'd deeply appreciate it.

Xabster
5 answers Last reply
More about sata raid boot pata disk connected
  1. If there is an option for PATA raid in the bios, make sure it's disabled.
  2. There is an option, but I made sure it's disabled. Thanks though. :)
  3. Quote:
    There is an option, but I made sure it's disabled. Thanks though. :)

There is a section to select which HDD to boot from, make sure it is the array, because it try to boot from the pata hdd first.
  4. I did that aswell, my healthy NVIDIA RAID ARRAY is set as 1. boot priority. The PATA is set as 2nd. :)
  5. Update.

Since my bios update one particular options is missing - the options to select SATA or PATA or Combined Mode. I can't find it anywhere and I strongly suspect that's the problem...
Ask a new question

Read More

MSI-Microstar SATA Boot Motherboards NAS / RAID