Recently added Additional domain controller errors on FRS

I get the following error message in my event viewer on
recently promoted Additional domain controller called
Backup. Main is the primary server that has all the roles
and etc.

I can ping main (FQDN) from Backup without any problem and vice versa.
FRS is running on both of these servers.
SYSVOL on backup server exists but when I try to do net share
it doesn't show up on Backup server. Like its not replicating.

ERROR:-

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from
MAIN to BACKUP for c:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name
main.somedomain.com. FRS will keep retrying.
Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name main.somedomain.com from
this computer.
[2] FRS is not running on main.somedomain.com.
[3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem
is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the
connection has been established.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Jazzman !

How many times have this event been logged, if you recently added this
additional Domain Controller, it may haven't replicated yet.

As described in the event message:

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Jazzman" <Jazzman@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
>I get the following error message in my event viewer on
> recently promoted Additional domain controller called
> Backup. Main is the primary server that has all the roles
> and etc.
>
> I can ping main (FQDN) from Backup without any problem and vice versa.
> FRS is running on both of these servers.
> SYSVOL on backup server exists but when I try to do net share
> it doesn't show up on Backup server. Like its not replicating.
>
> ERROR:-
>
> The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from
> MAIN to BACKUP for c:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name
> main.somedomain.com. FRS will keep retrying.
> Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.
>
> [1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name main.somedomain.com from
> this computer.
> [2] FRS is not running on main.somedomain.com.
> [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
> not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.
>
> This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem
> is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the
> connection has been established.
>
> Please advice.
>
> Thanks,
> Jazzman !

about 15 times so far.

"Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:

> How many times have this event been logged, if you recently added this
> additional Domain Controller, it may haven't replicated yet.
>
> As described in the event message:
> The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
> not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "Jazzman" <Jazzman@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> >I get the following error message in my event viewer on
> > recently promoted Additional domain controller called
> > Backup. Main is the primary server that has all the roles
> > and etc.
> >
> > I can ping main (FQDN) from Backup without any problem and vice versa.
> > FRS is running on both of these servers.
> > SYSVOL on backup server exists but when I try to do net share
> > it doesn't show up on Backup server. Like its not replicating.
> >
> > ERROR:-
> >
> > The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from
> > MAIN to BACKUP for c:\winnt\sysvol\domain using the DNS name
> > main.somedomain.com. FRS will keep retrying.
> > Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.
> >
> > [1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name main.somedomain.com from
> > this computer.
> > [2] FRS is not running on main.somedomain.com.
> > [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has
> > not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.
> >
> > This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem
> > is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the
> > connection has been established.
> >
> > Please advice.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jazzman !

jazzman,

it sounds like the new DC "backup" never completed its sysvol seeding
process after promotion.
do you have a 13516 event in the FRS event log on "backup"
I suspect not.

First thing to do is check the FRS event log on the "main" DC.
Are there any errors or warnings? If so, these need to be addressed first.
FRS issues on MAIN can easily prevent a successful sysvol seeding on BACKUP.

Is "backup" on the far side of a WAN or is there a VPN or firewall between
the two servers?
13508s without the corresponding 13509s are typically network issues like
blocked ports......but not always.

BTW, this is an FRS issue. you should be posting to
microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs

--
Glenn L
CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

"jazzman2" wrote:
> about 15 times so far.
>
> "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > How many times have this event been logged, if you recently
> added this
> > additional Domain Controller, it may haven't replicated yet.
> >
> > As described in the event message:
> > The topology information in the Active Directory for this
> replica has
> > not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Christoffer Andersson
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> >
> > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
> >
> > "Jazzman" <Jazzman@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
>  > >I get the following error message in my event viewer
> on
>  > > recently promoted Additional domain controller
> called
>  > > Backup. Main is the primary server that has all the
> roles
>  > > and etc.
>  > >
>  > > I can ping main (FQDN) from Backup without any
> problem and vice versa.
>  > > FRS is running on both of these servers.
>  > > SYSVOL on backup server exists but when I try to do
> net share
>  > > it doesn't show up on Backup server. Like its not
> replicating.
>  > >
>  > > ERROR:-
>  > >
>  > > The File Replication Service is having trouble
> enabling replication from
>  > > MAIN to BACKUP for c:winntsysvoldomain using the
> DNS name
>  > > main.somedomain.com. FRS will keep retrying.
>  > > Following are some of the reasons you would see this
> warning.
>  > >
>  > > [1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name
> main.somedomain.com from
>  > > this computer.
>  > > [2] FRS is not running on main.somedomain.com.
>  > > [3] The topology information in the Active Directory
> for this replica has
>  > > not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.
>  > >
>  > > This event log message will appear once per
> connection, After the problem
>  > > is fixed you will see another event log message
> indicating that the
>  > > connection has been established.
>  > >
>  > > Please advice.
>  > >
>  > > Thanks,
>  > > Jazzman !

Hi,

DNS is usually the issue with replication. Make sure you have a STATIC
IP on the DC and make sure the DNS in TCP/IP points to the IP of your
Internal DNS Server. More on setting DNS on myh website
http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm

Go to the command line of the new DC and type ipconfig /flushdns and
ipconfig /registerdns . Go to DNS and make sure the New DC is there
with the correct IP.

Go to Active Directory Sites and Services. Open up the trees all the
way down and try to replicate manually.

Cheers,

Lara

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Active-Directory-Recently-added-Additional-domain-controller-errors-FRS-ftopict243335.html

I followed the following steps and these helped me.

Other matters to consider:

Resolve any AD replication problems. FRS depends on AD replication, so if AD
is broken, FRS won't work either.
Stopping and restarting the File Replication Service on each DC may fix the
problem (watch the staging areas—there will be a visible reduction in size).

If these tasks don't fix the problem, follow this procedure, which uses
information from KB Q257338, "Troubleshooting Missing SYSVOL and NETLOG ON
Shares on Windows 2000 Domain Controllers,"

TRENDING THREADS