Overclocking HP A1330E, Max PCI mhz?

Beastyben1

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hello all,

Since this is an HP I have no settings to fool around with in bios. I use Clockgen or CPUFSB with the correct PLL. I can only increase the FSB with an increase in PCI mhz, and my questions is how high can the PCI go?

System: XP Home, AMD64 3200 Venice @1.42V, Asus A8AE-LE, ATI 200 Express, 512mb (2X256) Samsung CL3, all cheap stuff etc

I have tried the CPU at 2100mhz, RAM 210, PCIE 105mhz, PCI 35mhz and it seems fine, idling at 29/30C. All operations I usually do are stable. It did hit 2200mhz and was fine but I decided to back down until I know more info.

So what are people seeing with there overclocks pertaining to the above values? I guess I could just buy another motherboard and overclock. I know I need more memory and a video card (had a 6800gs) but I'm looking to improve overall system performance.

Thank much,

Ben

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Here are a few things to consider:

1) If you buy a new mobo, it might not fit properly in the HP case. It also might not work with the HP power supply, because both of these items are proprietary (or exclusive to HP). If the PC came with a Windows XP CD, it might not let you install Windows on a retail motherboard.

2) Your RAM probably won't overclock very well, and you'll have to use a memory divider. If you plan on upgrading the RAM, toss the crap that you have right now, and buy good stuff, like Corsair XMS, Crucial Ballistix, etc.

Beastyben1

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Angry_Ducky:

Thanks for the reply!

Valid points on the proprietary nature of HP systems. Seems like I would be better off with a new home-built system using peices of the HP when possible.

For now, I do indeed plan on upgrading the RAM before I get hit with my tuition bill. I will take a look at the good stuff.

Thanks again,

Ben

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
See if you have a ratio control in the BIOS (or even perhaps by jumpers?)

It'd be quite handy - allows you to run a higher FSB overclock whilst maintaining PCI and AGP bus speeds.

The most I've managed to run on PCI whilst remaining stable is about 36mhz.

Beastyben1

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I have no ratio control in the BIOS or by jumpers. Looks like only quality retail motherboards have the option. 36 mhz does seem to be max, I think I'll keep it at 35mhz, thus keeping my CPU at 2100mhz. Thanks for the info.