Buydig / Beech Camera

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I'm told that Buydig is a branch of Beech Camera. Are these reputable
vendors for printers and cameras? They have good prices on the HP
1320 that I was considering. Any reason to avoid them?

Thanks

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:27:30 -0400, _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:

>I'm told that Buydig is a branch of Beech Camera. Are these reputable
>vendors for printers and cameras? They have good prices on the HP
>1320 that I was considering. Any reason to avoid them?

Here check them out.

http://www.resellerratings.com/

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Buydig is pretty good. I purchased 3 cameras from them, never had a problem.
The only thing was, after my last order (I was buying it for a friend who
did not have a credit card) an agent called me from buydig and asked "what I
was going to do with all those cameras" (That was my 3rd order in 6 months)
even though it's none of his business. He was like interrogating me and I
hated it.

Ozgur Inal wrote:
> Buydig is pretty good. I purchased 3 cameras from them, never had a
> problem. The only thing was, after my last order (I was buying it for
> a friend who did not have a credit card) an agent called me from
> buydig and asked "what I was going to do with all those cameras"
> (That was my 3rd order in 6 months) even though it's none of his
> business. He was like interrogating me and I hated it.
>

> "_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message
>> I'm told that Buydig is a branch of Beech Camera. Are these
>> reputable vendors for printers and cameras? They have good prices
>> on the HP 1320 that I was considering. Any reason to avoid them?
>>
>> Thanks

He was probably worried that his prices were too low, and you were
selling them and making money that should have been _his_.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message
> I'm told that Buydig is a branch of Beech Camera. Are these reputable
> vendors for printers and cameras? They have good prices on the HP
> 1320 that I was considering. Any reason to avoid them?

Didn't know about the reltionship, but I got my D70 kit from Buydig. No
problems.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Beech has a long history of screwing the public. I don't know about their
web operation. I never deal with people I don't trust.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote

> Beech has a long history of screwing the public. I don't know about their
> web operation. I never deal with people I don't trust.

When did you ever buy from them?
I bought a camera from them and everything went fine.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:52:22 -0500, John A. Stovall
<johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:27:30 -0400, _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
>
>>I'm told that Buydig is a branch of Beech Camera. Are these reputable
>>vendors for printers and cameras? They have good prices on the HP
>>1320 that I was considering. Any reason to avoid them?
>
>Here check them out.
>
>http://www.resellerratings.com/

Buydig is at the top of the second tier, B&H and comparable being in
the first.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I bought from Buydig (Panasonic PV-GS120) no problems.
Emailing a question to them about delivery...it was from Beech Camera!

b_d

_R wrote:
> I'm told that Buydig is a branch of Beech Camera. Are these
reputable
> vendors for printers and cameras? They have good prices on the HP
> 1320 that I was considering. Any reason to avoid them?

I bought from Beachcamera in Nov'04. Good price and was shipped the
very next day. My cousin who went to the store said that they have
boxes and boxes piled up on the floor and were only interested in
showing you a camera if you bought one first.

- Siddhartha

braine_d...@lycos.com wrote:
> I bought from Buydig (Panasonic PV-GS120) no problems.
> Emailing a question to them about delivery...it was from Beech
Camera!

Isn't that Beachcamera? ;)

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:52:22 -0500, John A. Stovall
<johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:27:30 -0400, _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:
>
>>I'm told that Buydig is a branch of Beech Camera. Are these reputable
>>vendors for printers and cameras? They have good prices on the HP
>>1320 that I was considering. Any reason to avoid them?
>
>Here check them out.
>
>http://www.resellerratings.com/

I bought my Kodak DX 7490 from Buydig. Great price too. No complaints
at all.
Want to Fix Something?

http://www.manuals4you.com

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Beach has no such history... I have purchased from Beach and BuyDig, both with
perfect results.

Tim

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
Beech has a long history of screwing the public. I don't know about their
web operation. I never deal with people I don't trust.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Mater of fact it is. They were Beach Camera of Maine until they ran afoul of
the State's Attorney General for nasty practices, so they moved to Brooklyn
and/or New Jersey where the mob keeps the law off slimy operators like them.

--

Tony wrote:
> Mater of fact it is. They were Beach Camera of Maine until they ran
afoul of
> the State's Attorney General for nasty practices, so they moved to
Brooklyn
> and/or New Jersey where the mob keeps the law off slimy operators
like them.

I read somewhere that they revamped totally after that. But as my
cousin told me its not a shop where salespeople are waiting to serve
you. You walk-in, pay and then they let you open the box. So no
question of trying out cameras before buying.

- Siddhartha

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message
> I'm told that Buydig is a branch of Beech Camera. Are these reputable
> vendors for printers and cameras? They have good prices on the HP
> 1320 that I was considering. Any reason to avoid them?
>
> Thanks

I have bought three digital cameras from Buydig.com and they are absolutely
first-rate to deal with. Very fast shipping and no annoying "confirmation"
calls such as some low-priced sellers use to try to sell you overpriced
accessories.

If you mean BEACH Camera, I doubt there's any connection with Buydig but I
don't really know. I have never dealt with Beach and probably never will,
since they have not enjoyed a very favorable reputation among buyers.

N.

On 22 Apr 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Nostrobino wrote:

> If you mean BEACH Camera, I doubt there's any connection with Buydig
> but I don't really know. I have never dealt with Beach and probably
> never will, since they have not enjoyed a very favorable reputation
> among buyers.

Registrant:
beach trading co. (BUYDIG-DOM)
203 route 22 east
greenbrook, NJ 08812
US

Domain Name: BUYDIG.COM

Administrative Contact:
mosseri, solomon (SM16276)
Beach Trading co.
203 route 22 east
greenbrook, NJ 08812
US
(732) 424-1101 fax: (732) 424-1105

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I certainly wouldn't buy from them. When a place has no "Goodwill" there is
no reason to shop there.

--

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:19:33 GMT, "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote:

>I certainly wouldn't buy from them. When a place has no "Goodwill" there is
>no reason to shop there.

Unless you know exactly what you want and the price is substantially
lower.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <2pik611rhj3bq9foapajra0v5hhej0cvdp@4ax.com>, olc-
caNOSPAM@comcast.net says...
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:19:33 GMT, "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >I certainly wouldn't buy from them. When a place has no "Goodwill" there is
> >no reason to shop there.
>

> Unless you know exactly what you want and the price is substantially
> lower.

And then you may not actually get it or it may not be exactly the item
they promised.
The market is competitive enough that there is usually a reason that
a dealer is cheaper than the honest competitors.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

"Robert Feinman" <robertdfeinman@netscape.net> wrote in message
> In article <2pik611rhj3bq9foapajra0v5hhej0cvdp@4ax.com>, olc-
> caNOSPAM@comcast.net says...
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:19:33 GMT, "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I certainly wouldn't buy from them. When a place has no "Goodwill" there
>> >is
>> >no reason to shop there.
>>

>> Unless you know exactly what you want and the price is substantially
>> lower.
>>
> And then you may not actually get it or it may not be exactly the item
> they promised.

Maybe, but my own experience with BuyDig (three cameras so far) has been
100% satisfaction. The cameras came exactly as advertised, brand new, USA
warranty, and shipped as fast as any dealer I have ever used. And I've
bought tons of stuff online.

> The market is competitive enough that there is usually a reason that
> a dealer is cheaper than the honest competitors.

If that "than the honest competitors" is meant to suggest that honesty
increases with selling price, and low prices imply some degree of
dishonesty, that is just silly.

Undoubtedly there's a *reason* for lower prices. I can buy exactly the same
watch, appliance or DVD cheaper from K-Mart than I can from some other store
.. . . and cheaper still from Wal-Mart, and so on. For digital cameras my
experience is that the best prices are invariably found over the Internet.
In every case there must be some *reason*, e.g. economies from larger sales
volume, special purchases, more efficient business methods, lower business
costs or just more aggressive pricing. I don't really care what the *reason*
is as long as I can get exactly the same product at a substantially lower
price. It pays to shop around, which why we shop around.

N.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:16:53 -0400, Robert Feinman
<robertdfeinman@netscape.net> wrote:

>In article <2pik611rhj3bq9foapajra0v5hhej0cvdp@4ax.com>, olc-
>caNOSPAM@comcast.net says...
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:19:33 GMT, "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I certainly wouldn't buy from them. When a place has no "Goodwill" there is
>> >no reason to shop there.
>>

>> Unless you know exactly what you want and the price is substantially
>> lower.
>>
>And then you may not actually get it or it may not be exactly the item
>they promised.
>The market is competitive enough that there is usually a reason that
>a dealer is cheaper than the honest competitors.

Why are there only two possibilities? Of course you avoid the scumbag
dealers who advertise prices so low as to be ridiculous, but there are
many dealers that have low prices and do deliver what they say they
will. Buydig happens to be one of them. I saved $200 there rather than
paying the higher prices at other Nikon authorized dealers.

Robert Feinman wrote:
> And then you may not actually get it or it may not be exactly the
item
> they promised.
> The market is competitive enough that there is usually a reason that
> a dealer is cheaper than the honest competitors.

I don't think buydig/beachcamera practises switch-and-bait or that
hasn't been my experience atleast and of several people who've posted
to various message boards.

My guess is their business model depends on selling a lot more than the
competition but at lower margins. For example, while B&H advertised the
300D kit for $789, Beach sold it to me for $703. Thats roughly a 10%
discount that would've come out of their margins. The likes of B&H and
Adorama charge you that extra 10% because they have nice people
attending to you and they need to pay for the higher store upkeep as
compared to Beach/Buydig. B&H and Adorama must also carry larger
inventories and variety than Buydig/Beach. So both are honest but carry
different costs and have different business models.

- Siddhartha

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I've purchased 2 cameras from Beach (via phone) with absolutely no
problems. The person I spoke with in each case was knowledgeable, and
did not try to push any accessories. He also told me that ordering by
phone is somewhat quicker than online, and in fact had my order in the
system before our phone call was ended.
Both cameras arrived in perfect condition, exactly as specified in the
description (i.e., everything that should have been included was
included), very well packaged, and very quickly.
I don't know what more you could ask of a company.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"_R" <_R@nomail.org> wrote in message
> I'm told that Buydig is a branch of Beech Camera. Are these reputable
> vendors for printers and cameras? They have good prices on the HP
> 1320 that I was considering. Any reason to avoid them?

You're correct, buydig and Beach are the same company.

Buydig is fine. I bought an S500 from them. A colleague bought a Canon
EOS-20D from them.

I was very wary of ordering from buydig, given the sordid history of Beach
Camera, but I think that this may be one case where a company has changed
its evil ways. No price changes, no calls from them to sell expensive
accessories.

One thing that I don't like about buydig, is that on the more popular, and
limited supply items, they occasionally will not even have it available
except in one of their kits (though this is happens only rarely).