what can voip do?

is there away to route calls.

lets say, if someone from area code 222 calls phone number 555-555-5555 to
foward these calls to 723-222-2222
but uf the area code is 232 calls the same number 555-555-5555 to forward
these calls to 333-333-3333?

can this be done

Void & Null <noemail@please.com> wrote:
> is there away to route calls.
>
> lets say, if someone from area code 222 calls phone number 555-555-5555 to
> foward these calls to 723-222-2222
> but uf the area code is 232 calls the same number 555-555-5555 to forward
> these calls to 333-333-3333?
>
> can this be done

Sure, if you're running Asterisk or something similar you can handle and
route your calls any way you want. This isn't so much about VoIP per se as
about having control over what happens with your phone calls, which happens
to be much easier (cheaper) with VoIP.

miguel

yes, I know it was not only a voip thing, but since this is a voip forum.
were can I download a windows install of Asterisk?

"Miguel Cruz" <mnc@admin.u.nu> wrote in message
> Void & Null <noemail@please.com> wrote:
> > is there away to route calls.
> >
> > lets say, if someone from area code 222 calls phone number 555-555-5555
> > foward these calls to 723-222-2222
> > but uf the area code is 232 calls the same number 555-555-5555 to
forward
> > these calls to 333-333-3333?
> >
> > can this be done
>
> Sure, if you're running Asterisk or something similar you can handle and
> route your calls any way you want. This isn't so much about VoIP per se as
> about having control over what happens with your phone calls, which
happens
> to be much easier (cheaper) with VoIP.
>
> miguel
> --
> Hit The Road! Photos from 36 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
> Latest photos: Queens Day in Amsterdam; the Grand Canyon; Amman, Jordan

Void & Null <noemail@please.com> wrote:
> yes, I know it was not only a voip thing, but since this is a voip forum.
> were can I download a windows install of Asterisk?

Nowhere - it's a unix program. If you have an old computer lying around and
you don't need anything that's currently on its hard drive, you can download
a CD image that will automatically install Linux and Asterisk onto it.

Well, actually you can download it from the link on this page:

http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=astwind

but what it actually does is dynamically set up a fake little virtual Linux
environment when you run it.

miguel