domain prep failure

Trying to add a W2K3 Server as a domain controller to a W2K domain. The
adprep /forest runs and completes successfully but when I run the adprep
/domain I get a message that the forest needs to be updated first. Can
anyone help?

"cdaniels" <cdaniels@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to add a W2K3 Server as a domain controller to a W2K domain. The
> adprep /forest runs and completes successfully but when I run the adprep
> /domain I get a message that the forest needs to be updated first. Can
> anyone help?

Usual reasons include failure to (fully) replicate
either the Forest (schema mostly) or Domain info.

DNS problems (usually the source of this) can cause
either.

Lost or missing DCs (or even whole domains) can
also be the reason.

I think one of the single master roles must be online
and reachable as well (can't remember which one)
and if they are all online it is probably a DNS problem
again.

Try DCDiag (on the affected Domain DCs) sending the
output to a text file and searching for FAIL, ERROR,
and WARN. Fix and retry.

Or work with the replication tools like RplAdmin or
ReplMon to check replication...

--
Herb Martin