Internet freezing up problem

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
So:
When I am on the internet, it will occasionally do this thing where everything runs very slow, like the processor is doing some really huge task that requires all of its capacity, even though it is not doing anything but surfing internet and playing music. Windows Task Manager agrees with me, and says that the processor is using max. capacity. The mouse will move in slow jerking movements. After some time of this, the computer will disconnect from the internet, and move so slow that it is not even possible to shut down normally. I've noticed that it seems to run slightly better with the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer (I have Windows x64 Ed.). It also seems to freeze up most often when I pause Windows Media Player, which usually puts the processor up to the top normally for just a second. Don't know how helpful that is. Any help is appreciated.

System:
Windows Pro. x64 Ed.
AMD 4000+ (no overclock)
2GB Crucial RAM
x2 250 GB Western Digital HD
Biostar SLI Mobo
A bunch of noisy fans

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
You could be having after affects of the PowMax 550 incident! :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist that!

Check for spyware or virus contamination, more than likely spyware!

Heh.

Yeah, I think you're right about that spyware business. I fried some recently with Avast/Adaware SE Personal/Spybot Search & Destroy. I get much of that stuff due to the fact that I can't find any 64-bit virus protection software for sale. I heard rumors of Norton 64 though...worth some research.

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
That has to be the best signature ever. :lol:

Yea, I would look in Task Manager to see if a certain program is eating up too much memory. Also, look for unusual programs running then Google them to see if they are malicious. Also check msconfig for malicious files in startup.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Yeah, do what others have said and kill the unnessary programs running in the taskmanager and in msconfig.

And take it from a guy who fixes this for a living: pr0n is bad for both you and your computer. I can't say anything about your views, but for your computer, that is where viruses and malware and spyware love to hide. Also, try to use firefox. I don't know if there is a 64bit version, but in any case, don't use IE if at all possible. That'll keep most of that stuff from even getting to you, no matter where you are surfing...

Filesharing programs can really screw you over if you aren't careful too.

Don't surf without protection. Remember: be safe, not sorry.

Edit:
Forgot to mention MSN messenger, don't use it. Instead, use gaim.