Monitor ip

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

hi,
Someone knows about a good tool that will show me by ip address what pc take
more of my internet line. (probably one or 2 users do realy huge downloads
inside my LAN, and I want to check who is the user.)
It will be great to hear about a little application that do it (I do NOT
want to use sfinner pro for this task).
If the application is fre - it is perfect.

Gil wrote:
> hi,
> Someone knows about a good tool that will show me by ip address what pc take
> more of my internet line. (probably one or 2 users do realy huge downloads
> inside my LAN, and I want to check who is the user.)
> It will be great to hear about a little application that do it (I do NOT
> want to use sfinner pro for this task).
> If the application is fre - it is perfect.

This is really not a MS issue. Do you have switches in your network? If
so you can use alot of tools within them. Do you connect via router run
mrtg.

how do know users are d/l'ing things? how did you find that out?

Chad

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I need a third party application NOT from my switches.
I know it is NOT microsoft question, But I need the info asap. So please

"Chad Mahoney" <spamme@mah0ney.com> wrote in message
> Gil wrote:
> > hi,
> > Someone knows about a good tool that will show me by ip address what pc
take
> > more of my internet line. (probably one or 2 users do realy huge
downloads
> > inside my LAN, and I want to check who is the user.)
> > It will be great to hear about a little application that do it (I do NOT
> > want to use sfinner pro for this task).
> > If the application is fre - it is perfect.
> >

> This is really not a MS issue. Do you have switches in your network? If
> so you can use alot of tools within them. Do you connect via router run
> mrtg.
>

> how do know users are d/l'ing things? how did you find that out?
>
> Chad

http://delphi.about.com/od/fullcodeprojects/l/aa112903a.htm

John

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:12:50 +0200, "Gil" <lior_ml@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I need a third party application NOT from my switches.
>I know it is NOT microsoft question, But I need the info asap. So please

Okay, you can't do it with Active Directory, you can't use any
Microsoft Applications to do this and it's not a general question so
75% of the groups you asked in are irrelevant, no matter how fast you
need the info. The fourth is barely relevant.

You find this from your firewall or proxy logs. For thrid party
tools, Google "Bandwidth monitoring" or the like, or look for third
party proxies. Microsoft's proxy would be ISA, and there *is* a group
for that, though you'd want to look at the information on
Microsoft.com first.

Jeff

>"Chad Mahoney" <spamme@mah0ney.com> wrote in message
>> Gil wrote:
>> > hi,
>> > Someone knows about a good tool that will show me by ip address what pc
>take
>> > more of my internet line. (probably one or 2 users do realy huge
>downloads
>> > inside my LAN, and I want to check who is the user.)
>> > It will be great to hear about a little application that do it (I do NOT
>> > want to use sfinner pro for this task).
>> > If the application is fre - it is perfect.
>> >

>> This is really not a MS issue. Do you have switches in your network? If
>> so you can use alot of tools within them. Do you connect via router run
>> mrtg.
>>

>> how do know users are d/l'ing things? how did you find that out?
>>
>> Chad

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Gil,

What do you mean not from your switches?? You need to collect that
information and the only places to get that are your switches and routers.
(Unless you are using a software proxy -- then do the ISA suggestion)

Use something like ADREM or a sniffer on a span port or MRTG on your
routers. Otherwise you are telling us that you want to collect some
information, but we aren't allowed to suggest any of the proper tools -- a
hard position to be in.

Of course if you want to do this well, get something like paketeer
packetshaper or websense.

bon chance.
--
Ryan Hanisco