Mail messages and roaming user

I have created a roaming users in Windows 2000 domain and I see that the
mail account is update in every logon but the box mail are only in local. I
made error in user configuration or is not possible have in roaming the mail
messages too?
3 answers Last reply
More about mail messages roaming user

    marcello wrote:
    > I have created a roaming users in Windows 2000 domain and I see that
    > the mail account is update in every logon but the box mail are only
    > in local. I made error in user configuration or is not possible have
    > in roaming the mail messages too?

    Do you have an Exchange server? If so, this is a piece of cake. However, if
    you're using PST files, this isn't. Microsoft doesn't support accessing PST
    files over a LAN/WAN connection (so you can't really store them all on the
    server & expect things to work smoothly). This isn't to say that it can't be
    done, but I strongly discourage it.

    I don't know whether PST files can be included in the roaming profile sync
    but I've never tried it. And I personally wouldn't want them to - you want
    roaming profiles to be *tiny*....or you'll run into other problems.

    I'd probably still use roaming profiles to make workstation replacements
    easier, but I wouldn't want users roaming if they use PST files. Just my
    $.02.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    > marcello wrote:
    >> I have created a roaming users in Windows 2000 domain and I see that
    >> the mail account is update in every logon but the box mail are only
    >> in local. I made error in user configuration or is not possible have
    >> in roaming the mail messages too?
    >
    > Do you have an Exchange server? If so, this is a piece of cake.
    > However, if you're using PST files, this isn't. Microsoft doesn't
    > support accessing PST files over a LAN/WAN connection (so you can't
    > really store them all on the server & expect things to work
    > smoothly). This isn't to say that it can't be done, but I strongly
    > discourage it.
    >
    > I don't know whether PST files can be included in the roaming profile
    > sync but I've never tried it. And I personally wouldn't want them to
    > - you want roaming profiles to be *tiny*....or you'll run into other
    > problems.
    >
    > I'd probably still use roaming profiles to make workstation
    > replacements easier, but I wouldn't want users roaming if they use
    > PST files. Just my $.02.

    Just realized you haven't said you're using Outlook at all - I made an
    assumption. If you're using OE, you can't even store the data files on a
    non-local drive, and they do not roam.

    From personal experience in my neophyte days as a network admin....

    You can put PST files in a roaming profile... but only if you want 30
    minute logon times as the HUGE pst files come across the wire. (hehehe)
    Don't do this.
    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    > > marcello wrote:
    > >> I have created a roaming users in Windows 2000 domain and I see that
    > >> the mail account is update in every logon but the box mail are only
    > >> in local. I made error in user configuration or is not possible have
    > >> in roaming the mail messages too?
    > >
    > > Do you have an Exchange server? If so, this is a piece of cake.
    > > However, if you're using PST files, this isn't. Microsoft doesn't
    > > support accessing PST files over a LAN/WAN connection (so you can't
    > > really store them all on the server & expect things to work
    > > smoothly). This isn't to say that it can't be done, but I strongly
    > > discourage it.
    > >
    > > I don't know whether PST files can be included in the roaming profile
    > > sync but I've never tried it. And I personally wouldn't want them to
    > > - you want roaming profiles to be *tiny*....or you'll run into other
    > > problems.
    > >
    > > I'd probably still use roaming profiles to make workstation
    > > replacements easier, but I wouldn't want users roaming if they use
    > > PST files. Just my $.02.
    >
    > Just realized you haven't said you're using Outlook at all - I made an
    > assumption. If you're using OE, you can't even store the data files on a
    > non-local drive, and they do not roam.

Windows 2000 Microsoft Active Directory Windows