Mail messages and roaming user

marcello

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

I have created a roaming users in Windows 2000 domain and I see that the
mail account is update in every logon but the box mail are only in local. I
made error in user configuration or is not possible have in roaming the mail
messages too?

marcello wrote:
> I have created a roaming users in Windows 2000 domain and I see that
> the mail account is update in every logon but the box mail are only
> in local. I made error in user configuration or is not possible have
> in roaming the mail messages too?

Do you have an Exchange server? If so, this is a piece of cake. However, if
you're using PST files, this isn't. Microsoft doesn't support accessing PST
files over a LAN/WAN connection (so you can't really store them all on the
server & expect things to work smoothly). This isn't to say that it can't be
done, but I strongly discourage it.

I don't know whether PST files can be included in the roaming profile sync
but I've never tried it. And I personally wouldn't want them to - you want
roaming profiles to be *tiny*....or you'll run into other problems.

I'd probably still use roaming profiles to make workstation replacements
easier, but I wouldn't want users roaming if they use PST files. Just my
$.02.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> marcello wrote:
>> I have created a roaming users in Windows 2000 domain and I see that
>> the mail account is update in every logon but the box mail are only
>> in local. I made error in user configuration or is not possible have
>> in roaming the mail messages too?
>
> Do you have an Exchange server? If so, this is a piece of cake.
> However, if you're using PST files, this isn't. Microsoft doesn't
> support accessing PST files over a LAN/WAN connection (so you can't
> really store them all on the server & expect things to work
> smoothly). This isn't to say that it can't be done, but I strongly
> discourage it.
>
> I don't know whether PST files can be included in the roaming profile
> sync but I've never tried it. And I personally wouldn't want them to
> - you want roaming profiles to be *tiny*....or you'll run into other
> problems.
>
> I'd probably still use roaming profiles to make workstation
> replacements easier, but I wouldn't want users roaming if they use
> PST files. Just my $.02.

Just realized you haven't said you're using Outlook at all - I made an
assumption. If you're using OE, you can't even store the data files on a
non-local drive, and they do not roam.

From personal experience in my neophyte days as a network admin....

You can put PST files in a roaming profile... but only if you want 30
minute logon times as the HUGE pst files come across the wire. (hehehe)
Don't do this.
--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA