Licensing Logging Service Question

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 2, 2005 7:18:12 PM

I am having some trouble understanding the concepts surrounding the
licensing logging service. Here is my scenario right now.

I have 2 Sites under Active Directory Sites and Services. The first site
has 8 servers and the second has only 1. I've identified the Site Licensing
Server in each site. However I am a bit confused.

The information on each server that holds the Site Licensing information is
different. We have about 500 Per Seat licenses. I assumed (perhaps
incorrectly) that if you added a purchase of licensing to one Site License
server it would replicate to the other server. However it seems that these
two sites licensing server maintain two separate databases of licensing, one
set for each site.

Is this correct... and if so, does this mean I have to divide up my licenses
so that I can add some to one site and some to the other. And then, what
happens if I add a new site (which I plan to do soon), will I have to buy
new licenses because the servers are in different sites?

--
Alan Coleman
Network Administrator

Alan Coleman wrote:
> I am having some trouble understanding the concepts surrounding the
> licensing logging service. Here is my scenario right now.
>
> I have 2 Sites under Active Directory Sites and Services. The first
> site has 8 servers and the second has only 1. I've identified the
> Site Licensing Server in each site. However I am a bit confused.
>
> The information on each server that holds the Site Licensing
> information is different. We have about 500 Per Seat licenses. I
> assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that if you added a purchase of
> licensing to one Site License server it would replicate to the other
> server. However it seems that these two sites licensing server
> maintain two separate databases of licensing, one set for each site.
>
> Is this correct... and if so, does this mean I have to divide up my
> licenses so that I can add some to one site and some to the other.
> And then, what happens if I add a new site (which I plan to do soon),
> will I have to buy new licenses because the servers are in different
> sites?

I really don't know for sure - all I know is that license logging is buggy
and I never use it, nor does anyone else I know. Make sure you have enough
licenses, and keep track of them manually - stop & disable the service.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 12:16:46 AM

Alan,
perhaps this will convince you to stop and disable the license logging
service on all your servers.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824196
pay particular attention to the "functionality tests" section.

--
Glenn L
CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Alan Coleman wrote:
>> I am having some trouble understanding the concepts surrounding the
>> licensing logging service. Here is my scenario right now.
>>
>> I have 2 Sites under Active Directory Sites and Services. The first
>> site has 8 servers and the second has only 1. I've identified the
>> Site Licensing Server in each site. However I am a bit confused.
>>
>> The information on each server that holds the Site Licensing
>> information is different. We have about 500 Per Seat licenses. I
>> assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that if you added a purchase of
>> licensing to one Site License server it would replicate to the other
>> server. However it seems that these two sites licensing server
>> maintain two separate databases of licensing, one set for each site.
>>
>> Is this correct... and if so, does this mean I have to divide up my
>> licenses so that I can add some to one site and some to the other.
>> And then, what happens if I add a new site (which I plan to do soon),
>> will I have to buy new licenses because the servers are in different
>> sites?
>
> I really don't know for sure - all I know is that license logging is buggy
> and I never use it, nor does anyone else I know. Make sure you have enough
> licenses, and keep track of them manually - stop & disable the service.

January 4, 2005 2:21:52 AM

So aside from disabling the service on the domain controllers is there
anything else I need to do to completely disable license logging.

--
Alan Coleman
Network Administrator

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Alan Coleman wrote:
> > I am having some trouble understanding the concepts surrounding the
> > licensing logging service. Here is my scenario right now.
> >
> > I have 2 Sites under Active Directory Sites and Services. The first
> > site has 8 servers and the second has only 1. I've identified the
> > Site Licensing Server in each site. However I am a bit confused.
> >
> > The information on each server that holds the Site Licensing
> > information is different. We have about 500 Per Seat licenses. I
> > assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that if you added a purchase of
> > licensing to one Site License server it would replicate to the other
> > server. However it seems that these two sites licensing server
> > maintain two separate databases of licensing, one set for each site.
> >
> > Is this correct... and if so, does this mean I have to divide up my
> > licenses so that I can add some to one site and some to the other.
> > And then, what happens if I add a new site (which I plan to do soon),
> > will I have to buy new licenses because the servers are in different
> > sites?
>
> I really don't know for sure - all I know is that license logging is buggy
> and I never use it, nor does anyone else I know. Make sure you have enough
> licenses, and keep track of them manually - stop & disable the service.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 3:02:31 PM

Alan Coleman wrote:
> So aside from disabling the service on the domain controllers is there
> anything else I need to do to completely disable license logging.

Nope!

!