Any PCI-Express X1 Soundcards now/or soon to be available

hybrid09

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Is there anything, I've only seen PCI-e x1 TV Tuner, but nothing yet.

I have a Shuttle SN25P, so it has one 16x PCI-e, and one 1x PCI-e, the SN26P has SLi, too expensive and hard to find/buy.

Wrick

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
I have been looking for something to use in my PCIe x1 also.

What is the brand name of the TV tuner you found?

Mostly I have seen a few RAID controllers, a lot of SATA II controllers, 1394, USB2.0, and 10/100/1000 cards.

I would like to see a PCIe x1 sound card.

Wrick

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
As I said mine is a PCI not a PCIe, but I do not even know the answer to most of those questions. The video quality is fine, but not great. It looks like anyother non-hdtv signal. As for resolution, I just use my normal 1440x900 desktop setting. I will have to look into that.

Heyyou27 do you have the PCIe 550? If so, can you watch tv faster than I can with my PCI 550?

hybrid09

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
As I said mine is a PCI not a PCIe, but I do not even know the answer to most of those questions. The video quality is fine, but not great. It looks like anyother non-hdtv signal. As for resolution, I just use my normal 1440x900 desktop setting. I will have to look into that.

Heyyou27 do you have the PCIe 550? If so, can you watch tv faster than I can with my PCI 550?
I think it's the same, since both are 1X (correct me if i'm wrong)

Wrick: Do you use the TV software that came with your tuner, or other software.

I don't really see the point of upgrading now, beacuse my mom canceled our cable TV and changed it to basice (eww) which only has like 28 channels.

She said she'd get all the channels we had before, after we come back to our vacation (3 weeks)

Also, is it possible to plug the cable jack from the tuner to a satallite reciever? Will that work? :)

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Rule of thumb:

If it can plug into your tv, it'll plug into a corresponding port on your tv tuner. Unless, of course, you are talking about some of the new interfaces, like component video (workable) and HDMI.

But if it can go into the coax jack on the back of your tv and work, it'll work on your compy.

hybrid09

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Rule of thumb:

If it can plug into your tv, it'll plug into a corresponding port on your tv tuner. Unless, of course, you are talking about some of the new interfaces, like component video (workable) and HDMI.

But if it can go into the coax jack on the back of your tv and work, it'll work on your compy.
Great, but I don't think I'll get like 1000 channels with the TV Tuner :(

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Isn't the tuning done by the Satellite Reciever? If so, you should get the full functionality of the tv, you just have to change the channel on the reciever and not the computer.

But you're right, you do sometimes get reduced functionality with this sort of setup.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
PCI and PCIe x1 are not the same. PCIe x1 is a serial connection.

I think he was referring to the bandwidth of the interface. And no, they are not the same bandwidth, either. Both very different from each other.

hybrid09: If you know the difference, its similar to the difference between ISA and PCI, only its a bigger difference in both size and speed.

hybrid09

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Yeah, I did say correct me if I'm wrong.

But I was wondering which one has better performance, the PCI-e, or PCI

As for the channels, I understand it now. But I'm going to try to plugin the satallite reciever via S-Video into my dell lcd in the morning.

halcyon

Splendid

I have a Shuttle SN25P, so it has one 16x PCI-e, and one 1x PCI-e, the SN26P has SLi, too expensive and hard to find/buy.

This may indeed be the only PCI-e 1x audio solution and its proprietary to Abit, on their AN8 SLi ...check the peripherals photo....( http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=13%2D127%2D207%2D01%2Ejpg%2C13%2D127%2D207%2D02%2Ejpg%2C13%2D127%2D207%2D03%2Ejpg%2C13%2D127%2D207%2D04%2Ejpg%2C13%2D127%2D207%2D05%2Ejpg&CurImage=13%2D127%2D207%2D01%2Ejpg&Description=ABIT+AN8+SLI+Socket+939+NVIDIA+nForce4+SLI+ATX+AMD+Motherboard+%2D+Retail )

If Abit can ceate and release this kind of solution, one might get the impression that Creative is holding out on the enthusiast market, eh?

hybrid09

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006

This may indeed be the only PCI-e 1x audio solution and its proprietary to Abit, on their AN8 SLi ...check the peripherals photo....( http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=13%2D127%2D207%2D01%2Ejpg%2C13%2D127%2D207%2D02%2Ejpg%2C13%2D127%2D207%2D03%2Ejpg%2C13%2D127%2D207%2D04%2Ejpg%2C13%2D127%2D207%2D05%2Ejpg&CurImage=13%2D127%2D207%2D01%2Ejpg&Description=ABIT+AN8+SLI+Socket+939+NVIDIA+nForce4+SLI+ATX+AMD+Motherboard+%2D+Retail )

If Abit can ceate and release this kind of solution, one might get the impression that Creative is holding out on the enthusiast market, eh?
Damn, only way to get that is to buy the motherboard eh, lol I'm too lazy.

I was just wondering If in the future (next year or this year) creative would make something good similar to the sound cards they have now (x-fi) for PCI-e only users.

I might ditch the TV tuner, because judging by the reviews, they stated that the APP to watch tv kind of sucked, but video was ok. I have to see it to believe it, so I might get that after I come back from vacation.

Wrick

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
I do not think there is any reason to get a tv tuner that uses the PCIe x1 slot. TV tuners are a proven tech in the PCI slot, and have little if any preformance problems. This might not be the case with HDTV tuners, but that is for someone else to answer.

I plan on using my PCIe x1 for something that could take advantage of the preformance increase over a PCI. Such as a RAID controller, or future sound cards.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006

I think it may just be that this card is barely a sound card. Not to mention it isn't even pci express. I know this for 2 reasons: the slot is in the wrong place, and the slot is reversed from a pci express slot.

While it may use the same connector, more than likely they just rerouted the leads from the backplane to the connects on this card and ran it up the back, leaving room for the heatsink on the backplane.

The reason that it isn't out for pci expressa yet is probably because there is no need for it yet. [Most] Everyone still has a plethora of available pci slots, which are more than adequate for most, if not all, soundcards.

Oh, and pci express is faster than pci, to answer your question.

hybrid09

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006

I think it may just be that this card is barely a sound card. Not to mention it isn't even pci express. I know this for 2 reasons: the slot is in the wrong place, and the slot is reversed from a pci express slot.

While it may use the same connector, more than likely they just rerouted the leads from the backplane to the connects on this card and ran it up the back, leaving room for the heatsink on the backplane.

The reason that it isn't out for pci expressa yet is probably because there is no need for it yet. [Most] Everyone still has a plethora of available pci slots, which are more than adequate for most, if not all, soundcards.

Yeah I thought so, and guessed right about PCI-e being faster than regular PCI.

So basically I would have to wait, to see something like this, but there are no rumors or anything yet explaining of the design of a sound card.

My SN25P already has great sound, but it's always awesome to have a better soundcard, also considering I am a music nut.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
It's always great to have a great sound card.

It'll probably be a year or two before we start seeing more products utilizing the PCI-e interface. I'm always wanting to uprade from the old parallel interfaces to the new serial interfaces (pci - pci-e, ata - sata, etc.). Unfortunately, when a new peripheral technology surfaces, it usually takes a while before it becomes industry standard. That is why until only recently you could still buy serial mice at some stores.

So the word is be patient. There are likely no technological hurdles for the companies to overcome to produce products like this. It is merely a sociological one. When it is time, we will see products proliferate. In the meantime however, we are stuck with IRQ conflicts and bandwidth sharing issues. Don't know if you ever have had a problem with that, but with too many pci devices, you can really overload your computer's IRQ abilities and cause some wierd errors.

On a side note, I would like to see more network cards utilizing the pci-e interface. Gigabit cards easily saturate the PCI interface, and may even come close with the pci-e x1 interface. It will be exciting when you can get a board with 5 PCI-e slots of various X speeds.

halcyon

Splendid

As usual, I just learned something. Thanks! 8O

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

That's right on. Sound isn't as labor intesive as Video..not even close. They can easily get away with using PCI still. When motherboards start coming out with PCI-E only, then you will prob see sound cards for PCI-E. So is creative holding out? Not really..why waste time and money when its not needed.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Got mine from newegg 8 months ago. :D
How Is the video quality, what is the maximum supported resolution. Will it run fine with my 7900GT OC and my 24" Dell?

LMK :)The video quality is pretty good and should work fine with your 7900GT.
Yes I have the PCIe 550, and watching tv should be no faster or different than with your PCI version. I only paid extra for the PCIe version because my motherboard only has 2 PCI slots and one is being used by my X-FI.