What's the MAX to O/C Opteron 175 on air?

hybrid09

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
What's the max I can do? Currently I was using 2.2ghz (stock), but am now using 2.6ghz on air. So basically now my CPU is a FX-62 :)

nigelf

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
What's the max I can do? Currently I was using 2.2ghz (stock), but am now using 2.6ghz on air. So basically now my CPU is a FX-62 :)
i dont know exacatly. every cpu is different. My opty 170 ((click for stepping)) will run at stock volts up to 2.65 GHz, with a 0.1V increase it up to 2.8GHz (all prime 95 stable). i havent tried any further becasue i dont need any extra speed, but i can defenetely push it a bit further as my load temps @ 2.8GHz are about 43°C. Hope that helps.

hybrid09

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
i dont know exacatly. every cpu is different. My opty 170 ((click for stepping)) will run at stock volts up to 2.65 GHz, with a 0.1V increase it up to 2.8GHz (all prime 95 stable). i havent tried any further becasue i dont need any extra speed, but i can defenetely push it a bit further as my load temps @ 2.8GHz are about 43°C. Hope that helps.
It does. I really don't know about overclocking too much, but I heard that you need more voltage if you want it higher. 2.6 ghz is the max I've tried.

So your saying If I up the voltage to + 0.1V mine probably should O/C to about 2.8 ghz?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
It does. I really don't know about overclocking too much, but I heard that you need more voltage if you want it higher. 2.6 ghz is the max I've tried.

So your saying If I up the voltage to + 0.1V mine probably should O/C to about 2.8 ghz?

What he's saying is that it is possible, and that is probably what you would have to do to do it. You can't say anything should do anything out of spec. If it can't overclock, then you have a perfect example. If it can, you have a better than the spec sheet describes. Seems like this is one of the few instances where an industry actually underestimates the performance on their products.

Should? no. Possible? definitely.

nigelf

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006

yeah. I think that a 200 MHz increase should be possible with a 0.1 V boost but maybe you need more (or less). it all depends on the stepping you have. Also make sure you have good cooling before upping the voltage big big amounts (you dont want your processor to go up in smoke do you)

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Normally when I OC I don't go above 1.525 or 1.55 on air.... just my preference.... and I normally keep the memory running close to 400.... also keep the HTT bus as close to 1000 as possible.... try not to go over.... you won't notice a performance drop if it goes a little below....

I also prefer keeping my cpu below 60c.... and I am more comfortable if it is below 50c. I know some people that think mid to low 60's is fine.... but I don't like it to get that hot.... mine runs @ 2.9 on stock vcore in the mid to low 40's under load. Opteron 165

hybrid09

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Yeah that's true. I think 2.6 for me is enough, but it's just I do some video rendering, so I think it would help me.

Since I have a Shuttle, I have I.C.E cooling. Usually my CPU is anywhere from 29-47°C on hot days. Depending on the load I use.