Help with initial small org AD setup convention when using..

I'm just getting ready to create my first AD domain structure for a
small company, which for the sake of argument owns the domain acme.com.
I'm used to setting things up with BIND as follows. I typically
purchase an 8 or 16 static IP block and use a Cisco border router (ADSL
or T1) which routes this public IP block to a dmz network containing
bastion hosts running web and other public services, and a Cisco PIX
firewall which then connects the public IP dmz network to a private IP
back-end or office network with NAT and static translations to provide
access from dmz to back-end systems. Usually I add the third-level
domain name for such subnets based on the nearest airport code, for
example, in San Francisco, I would use sfo, or in New York, nyc. I
usually create a DNS server on the back-end network to handle
intra-office needs, and a second DMS server on the dmz to serve the
public IP address space for internal and sometimes external users if I
want to manage it that way; alternately I'll use network solutions or
Yahoo to manage my externally-visible DNS names on the acme.com domain.

Questions at the bottom - here's a list of domains with their
characteristics:

SCENARIO:

(Thanks in advance for your patience - I think this is a rather common
setup, but want to fully document how I intend to set things up for
comment and advice.)

acme.com
- Public IP address block provided by ISP
- DNS managed by external ISP and/or on bastion host on DMZ.
- SUBSET of IPs defined for dmz.acme.com which should be visible
to public, i.e. www.acme.com = www.dmz.acme.com
- NOT a real network, in that no switch contains servers or
workstations which directly use this domain - this is only used
for external DNS names for public services.

dmz.acme.com (primary office dmz network)
- Same public IP address block as acme.com
- SUPERSET of IPs which resolve for external clients, i.e. inside
border router interface.
- A real network in that a switch exists which connects routers
and servers that use this domain, i.e. ns1.dmz.acme.com
- Border router on this network is default gateway and connects to
Internet
- Outside (insecure) interface of PIX firewall is on this
network
- One or more bastion hosts are on this network providing pubic
services such as web, ftp, public mail server, etc.
- I don't want to run a Windows-based server on the DMZ for
security reasons, and all dynamic services proxy through to
a back-end server for execution.
- I run a DNS server on a bastion host to resolve dmz.acme.com
and acme.com for internal users. I usually use the ISP's DNS
servers to serve acme.com names for external users. I sometimes
make this a master server for these domains, sometimes make
it a slave to the master DNS server on the sfo.acme.com net if
security requirements allow it.

sfo.acme.com (primary office internal subnet)
- First scenario is to have one office located in San Francisco
with this domain name, connected to the dmz network also in
San Francisco via the PIX firewall
- Private address space, usually 192.168/16 range reserved for
all offices with one 192.168.(0|16|32|...)/20 (set of 16
class-C subnets for each office with the lowest being that
office's standard or primary LAN, i.e. 192.168.0/24 for first
office, 192.168.16/24 for second, etc.)
- Inside (secure) interface of PIX firewall is on this
network, PIX performs NAT
- May have multiple additional subnets with internal routing
structure at some future point in time, but initially, this
network contains all servers and workstations in the local
office. If added, additional networks will be of the form
xyz.sfo.acme.com, and would use the next subnet in the block
of 16 allocated to that location, i.e. 192.168.1/24 for second
network of first office.
- I've typically run a couple of Linux-based BIND DNS servers
on this network, one slave and the other the master for
sfo.acme.com, dmz.acme.com and acme.com (for internal users).

nyc.acme.com; lax.acme.com (secondary office internal subnets)
- Second scenario is to handle the later addition of additional
offices.
- These will generally be connected to the Internet in a similar
way, and may or may not have dmz networks of their own with
public address space.
- A PIX or similar (i.e. Watchguard) firewall capable of creating
IPSec site-to-site tunnel-mode connections would be in each
secondary office, and Cisco or IPSec standards-based tunnels
would be created between each office in a point-to-point
configuration to tie the offices together. It is very unlikely
we would use Windows servers as the endpoints for the site-to-
site tunnels.
- These offices would each have a block of 16 private class C
subnets as noted above, with the first of those being the
subnet used for normal workstations and servers.

Additional notes:
- Additional domains within each office will generally be project
or client based for security reasons, and generally temporary.
They will generally only contain the servers for a large web
site under development, and will be accessed by Windows clients
connected to the primary office subnet. We will want to give
them DNS extensions and a different subnet on the other side of
a router which protects that subnet from all other subnets, but
will usually NOT want to create a child domain from Window's
viewpoint if that requires another primary and secondary domain
controller, as that would be overkill - these subnets will be
small and primarily for security segmentation.
- I can either use a Cisco 3005 VPN Concentrator or a Windows 2003
server on the office network (i.e. sfo.acme.com) or the PIX
firewall itself to handle occasional remote user L2TP/IPSec VPN
connections. We may want to have each office have the ability
to have remote users connect directly to that office.

ASSUMPTIONS:
- I want to create a single forest with a single tree with each
office being a domain, but could create each office as a tree.
Not sure of the tradeoffs.
- This will be a new installation with no legacy Windows 2000
servers, and primarily Windows XP clients with a few Windows
2000 clients and some Solaris and Linux servers.
- The total number of servers in each office will be between
1 and 20.
- The total number of workstations in each office will be between
5 and 100.
- I'd rather not pay for Windows servers that perform almost no
work, and only exist to serve as some sort of root-level domain
controller. Cost is definitely a major factor.
- We may need to create additional DNS levels without creating
additional Active Directory client domains. These sub-domains
will frequently not be running any Microsoft OSes. When they
are, we may be setting up a new forest/tree/domain structure
which is self-contained, and then creating trust relationships
with the main office AD configuration to support inter-
operability during development which can be severed once the
system is complete and is moved to a production facility.

GUESSES:
- Eventually, each office should have either a top-level domain of
the form sfo.acme.com,dmz.acme.com,nyc.acme.com or a child
domain of acme.com of similar form.
- Additional domains within each office will either be created
within DNS without AD being aware of them, or as child domains
which match the 4-level DNS domain structure,
i.e. client1.sfo.acme.com, if they're big and long-lasting
enough to justify it.

QUESTIONS:
- Do I create acme.com or sfo.acme.com as the first domain?
- If I create acme.com, I assume I would create sfo.acme.com as a
subdomain to match the DNS naming convention, but does this
mean I must run two separate Windows 2003 servers, one as the
primary domain controller of each domain, or can I have one
Windows 2003 server act as the PDC of both?
- We may not want to create additional Active Directory domains
for additional locations immediately. Is it possible to create
a nyc.acme.com domain from a DNS perspective without creating
a matching AD domain structure, but add the child domain at a
later point? Can one AD domain cover multiple DNS subdomains,
as long as they have a matching parent domain in common?
- If I do not want to pay for a Windows 2003 server that will
only run acme.com and can not really do anything else, it seems
like I might need to create a new tree for each secondary office
with sfo.acme.com being the first tree/domain. Correct?
- I'm just trying to find out what the best practice is for such
small company configurations. We need a DMZ for a secure web
presence, and will quickly connect two more offices. But
initially, due to a recent merger, cost is a factor which means
we must initially do this as cheaply as possible. We don't want
to create an AD configuration due to initial limits that can't
handle long-term needs however!

Please post all advice to this forum, and cc me if possible. Thanks in
advance!

Mike

Mike,

This post is way too long......

Short story - hook up with an ISP. They will handle the networking side of
things ( Public DNS, IP Address, etc. ). Okay, maybe 'handle' is not the
correct term here.

If you have multiple physical locations ( San Francisco, Los Angeles, New
York, etc. ) then use one domain ( yourdomain.com ) and use Active Directory
Sites and Services to create each Site in AD. You would want to use a
different range for each ( say, 192.168.1.x for San Francisco, 192.168.2.x
for Los Angeles, 192.168.3.x for NYC, etc. etc. etc. ) and make sure that if
you do not have dedicated private links ( say, a T1 ) connecting things that
you make use of a Site-to-Site VPN between the locations. I know that the
PIX will do this. I have used the SonicWall Firewalls for this and they
work very nicely! Mucho Mucho Importante! Unless there are specific
reasons for having multiple Domains or having child domains ( usually
political - or Password Policy related ) do not bother! With WIN2000 Active
Directory you do not need to do this anymore ( it was much more needed in
WIN NT 4.0 ). Key word - 'need'. You can if you like but that adds a lot
of costs and administration.

Consider using Dynamic DNS internally ( aka Active Directory Integrated
DNS ) and make sure that each Site has at least one Global Catalog Server in
it ( a GC must be on a Domain Controller ). Depending on the size of things
most people in here will suggest to you that you have at least two DCs per
Site. If you are going to use BIND internally then you need to make sure
that it supports the all important SRV records. I think that it is version
8.2.1 and up that does??????? Or was that version 8.1.2?????

If you need a DMZ then I would not really put anything in it other than your
public web server ( but then someone like register.com or godaddy.com can do
that! ). You definitely do not want to put a Domain Controller in the
DMZ!!!!! Might sound silly to say but there have been a lot of people who
have done this!!!

If you want, you can use yourdomain.com for the public domain name as well
as for the internal domain name. You would have to add a 'www' host record
in your internal DNS so that your internal users can get to your public web
site. I think that most people would suggest that you use something that is
not public ( such as yourdomain.local - but IIRC there is a problem with the
..local if you have Macs in your environment, so maybe something like
yourdomain.lan would work ). I have almost always used yourdomain.com for
both public and private naming....no problems to date!

With Active Directory there are two types of Replication: intrasite and
intersite. This would be something to take into account.

You might also want to take a look at the Delegation Wizard so that you can
better control who can do what. What does this mean? Maybe you are in LAX
but you want a select few in SFO and NYC to be able to do things within
Active Directory ( say, create user account objects or reset passwords or
whatever ). The Delegation Wizard would be your friend.

Does this get you going?

I can not speak too much to the Linux/Unix involvement as I have never
worked in a mixed environment. There is a tool that will allow you to
'synch' things up between the two.

HTH,

Cary