what is the best photo printer?

I want to buy a printer, primarily to make photos from my digital
camera. I am looking for opinions on what to buy. All informed views
will be appreciated.
34 answers Last reply
More about what photo printer

    "jj" <jabba112358@erols.com> wrote in message
    > I want to buy a printer, primarily to make photos from my digital
    > camera. I am looking for opinions on what to buy. All informed views
    > will be appreciated.
    "Best" with respect to what? Best color? Longest lasting prints? Cheapest
    prints? Fastest printing?

    Sorry to say, these are conflicting requirements. There is no printer which
    is best in every category.
    Jim

    I would look into the Canon IP4000 and use OEM ink. Canon Photo Paper
    Pro is the best I have used. I recently used some of Costco/Kirkland
    Glossy Photo. It may be made by Ilford but I am not sure.

    I cut the Costco paper into 2 4x6 and 1 5x8. The 4x6 cost a little over
    4 cents. The Canon Photo Paper Pro costs 29 cents for a 4x6 sheet.
    While the Canon is a little better if you look real hard, Costco is
    probably 95% as good at a minimum and 1/7 the cost.

    I have also tried Office Depot and Surething papers. I am going to
    standardized on Costco/Kirkland.

    jj wrote:

    > I want to buy a printer, primarily to make photos from my digital
    > camera. I am looking for opinions on what to buy. All informed views
    > will be appreciated.

    I use a canon i960, the previous generation canon with 6 color inks. It
    makes beautiful prints with canon inks and also with aftermarket inks I
    have been using. Canon cartridges are easier to refill if you decide to
    use third party inks, and there are a few good inks that have been
    recommended on this and other forums. If economics is an issue and you want
    to buy aftermarket cartridges or refill them, and if archival quality is not
    a big issue, then Canon is the best choice in my estimation. For permanance
    of prints the newest epsons with pigmented inks are best. Canons used dye
    based inks which tend to fade faster than the Epson prints.The major issue
    is what you want out of the printer. If you sell prints you have to go for
    pigmented inks. If you want to purchase Epson, look for posts from Arthur
    Entlich on this Newsgroup as he has described the progression of inks that
    Epson has gone through to improve their pigmented ink for avoidance of head
    clogs and other problems. He can probably tell you which Ep;son models are
    least problematic. That information is probably in this newsgroup, but you
    will have to go through it and do your homework. You might want to go on to
    Neil Slade's site at www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff and read all of
    his information also. He leans heavily toward Canon. He also has links to
    a forum - I think it is Steve's or something like that - with excellent
    reviews of printers, digital cameras, etc.

    Burt wrote:

    > I use a canon i960, the previous generation canon with 6 color inks. It
    > makes beautiful prints with canon inks and also with aftermarket inks I
    > have been using. Canon cartridges are easier to refill if you decide to
    > use third party inks, and there are a few good inks that have been
    > recommended on this and other forums. If economics is an issue and you want
    > to buy aftermarket cartridges or refill them, and if archival quality is not
    > a big issue, then Canon is the best choice in my estimation. For permanance
    > of prints the newest epsons with pigmented inks are best. Canons used dye
    > based inks which tend to fade faster than the Epson prints.The major issue
    > is what you want out of the printer. If you sell prints you have to go for
    > pigmented inks. If you want to purchase Epson, look for posts from Arthur
    > Entlich on this Newsgroup as he has described the progression of inks that
    > Epson has gone through to improve their pigmented ink for avoidance of head
    > clogs and other problems. He can probably tell you which Ep;son models are
    > least problematic. That information is probably in this newsgroup, but you
    > will have to go through it and do your homework. You might want to go on to
    > Neil Slade's site at www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff and read all of
    > his information also. He leans heavily toward Canon. He also has links to
    > a forum - I think it is Steve's or something like that - with excellent
    > reviews of printers, digital cameras, etc.

    I just upgraded from the i950 to the iP8500, and what a printer! To die
    for! Eight colors, and brilliant, accurate color in the prints.
    Astounding. Individually replaceable, including the print head.
    Automatic print head alignment. Connects to a camera. Two paper feed
    sources. Printer profiles in the drivers.

    Gary Eickmeier

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:09:47 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
    <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

    >Burt wrote:

    [snip]

    >I just upgraded from the i950 to the iP8500, and what a printer! To die
    >for! Eight colors, and brilliant, accurate color in the prints.
    >Astounding. Individually replaceable, including the print head.

    Do you mean that each color has a separate print head?

    >Automatic print head alignment. Connects to a camera. Two paper feed
    >sources. Printer profiles in the drivers.

    CD printing?

    Dye-based inks?

    >Gary Eickmeier

    "jj" <jabba112358@erols.com> wrote in message
    >I want to buy a printer, primarily to make photos from my digital camera. I am
    >looking for opinions on what to buy. All informed views will be appreciated.

    What is the resolution of your camera? How large a print do you want? Do you
    want to print directly from the camera or camera cards? Is portability a
    requirement? Here are a few choices you may want to check out:

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-236251-64340.html lists
    various of HP's Photosmart offerings. Depending on your requirements you might
    consider the following that I have personally used:

    Photosmart 375 is a portable 4"x6" photo printer, optional battery for
    completely portable operation. It prints directly from most memory card formats
    or partridge cameras. It has a 2.5" color LCD that allows selecting, zoom,
    crop and a few other functions without needing a computer. See:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-64340-15100-64340-427438.html

    Photosmart 7950 is a 9 ink photo printer capable of 13"x19" prints. At the
    recent PMA show its prints were rated the best, beating out offerings from
    Epson, Canon and others. It is also suitable as a versatile printer for text
    and web pages. See:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-64340-15100-64340-426170.html .
    This printer is due to be released May 1 I believe.

    You might also consider an all-in-one unit, which combines the capabilities of
    a photo printer with a scan, copy and fax functions. My personal favorite is
    the Officejet 7410 shown at
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-238444-410635-12019-f51-391193.html,
    lower end all-in-one units such as the Photosmart 2600 or 2700 series may be of
    interest as well. See:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-238444-410635.html.
    Personally the all-in-one units are my favorites - it is very easy to get
    spoiled with a personal color copier.

    Regards,

    All the above use HP's Vivera inks which gives better lightfastness than
    traditional photo prints. See http://www.wilhelmresearch.com .

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >> I use a canon i960, the previous generation canon with 6 color inks.
    >> It makes beautiful prints with canon inks and also with aftermarket
    >> inks I have been using. Canon cartridges are easier to refill if
    >> you decide to use third party inks, and there are a few good inks
    >> that have been recommended on this and other forums. If economics is
    >> an issue and you want to buy aftermarket cartridges or refill them,
    >> and if archival quality is not a big issue, then Canon is the best
    >> choice in my estimation. For permanance of prints the newest epsons
    >> with pigmented inks are best. Canons used dye based inks which tend
    >> to fade faster than the Epson prints.The major issue is what you want
    >> out of the printer. If you sell prints you have to go for pigmented
    >> inks. If you want to purchase Epson, look for posts from Arthur
    >> Entlich on this Newsgroup as he has described the progression of inks
    >> that Epson has gone through to improve their pigmented ink for
    >> avoidance of head clogs and other problems. He can probably tell you
    >> which Ep;son models are least problematic. That information is
    >> probably in this newsgroup, but you will have to go through it and do
    >> your homework. You might want to go on to Neil Slade's site at
    >> www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff and read all of his information
    >> also. He leans heavily toward Canon. He also has links to a forum -
    >> I think it is Steve's or something like that - with excellent reviews
    >> of printers, digital cameras, etc.
    >

    > I just upgraded from the i950 to the iP8500, and what a printer! To
    > die for! Eight colors, and brilliant, accurate color in the prints.
    > Astounding. Individually replaceable, including the print head.
    > Automatic print head alignment. Connects to a camera. Two paper feed
    > sources. Printer profiles in the drivers.

    And Duplex Printing too.

    Try Canon OEM ink with either Canon Photo Paper Pro or Costco/Kirkland
    Glossy Paper. You made a great choice.

    Lady Margaret Thatcher wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:09:47 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
    > <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Burt wrote:
    >>

    > [snip]
    >

    >>I just upgraded from the i950 to the iP8500, and what a printer! To die
    >>for! Eight colors, and brilliant, accurate color in the prints.
    >>Astounding. Individually replaceable, including the print head.
    >

    > Do you mean that each color has a separate print head?
    >

    >>Automatic print head alignment. Connects to a camera. Two paper feed
    >>sources. Printer profiles in the drivers.
    >

    > CD printing?
    >
    > Dye-based inks?
    >
    >>Gary Eickmeier

    http://www.canon.com.au/products/home_office/printers/colour_bj_printers/ip8500.html

    There is no "BEST" unless you tell us what of the following you want the
    most in a printer, ranked by preference. (there's a lot more, too)

    1) cheap is important

    Any on-sale inkjet printer that goes for <$50. Simply buy, use
    until ink cartridges are empty, then replace with another <$50 printer
    (since ink cartridges cost about the same as a new printer anyways).

    Give aways, hand me downs, found in trash, etc. are all good to get.
    BIG college campuses like UCLA at the end of the year and quarter are
    particularly good for dumpster diving.

    2) Longevity is important

    a) Keep in mind that all inks fade with light/air exposure - thus,
    don't expect prints to last in open display longer than a few years w/o
    fading (search for POV Image Epson Orange Fading website). Applies to
    all inkjets.

    b) Out of the box, those expensive Epsons like the 1800/2200 series
    which have longer lasting inks than their regular line. Pigemented
    generally lasts longer than dye based inks, but see #a above.

    c) you can even buy 3rd party archival inks and papers from
    www.inkjetmall.com and elsewhere, but even then, as you can see from
    their longevity reports, that they don't last that long either under
    direct light exposure.

    d) If you're worried about lawsuits, simply do like the regular film
    print companies - put in a disclaimer that you're not responsible for
    any fading at all, period - because they will fade.

    3) Smoother prints with less visible dots. Smaller picoliter dots like
    the 1.5pl from Epson will be able to print tinier dots that are less
    noticable. Also, more colors like the 9 color from HP will generally be
    better than lower number of colors - but here, keep in mind that almost
    any inkjet printer that runs at least 6 colors or more will produce
    'photographic' prints quite easily.

    4) Lower operating costs?

    More ink cartridges = more cost per set of inks you need to replace.
    Also, Canon carts are the easiest to refill, HP & Epson are tougher,
    esp. the chipped cartridges from Epson, or the expiration dated HPs.
    You can bypass the locks, but it's an extra step.

    Continuous Bottle Feed ink systems from www.inkjetmall.com and
    elsewhere let you print thousands of colors prints w/o a single refill -
    they feed directly from huge bottles of ink retrofitted to your printer.

    www.shopper.com generally gives you an idea what each printer's
    print cartridge cost will be, so you can find out what the operating
    costs are.

    also, keep in mind that Epson generally has cheaper photo papers
    than Canon which in turn is cheaper than HP. Per print operating costs
    of Paper + Ink is to be kept in mind. Also, add to the per print
    operating cost the price of the printer, too! An expensive printer will
    make each print more costly than a dirt-cheap printer.

    5) DOS/linux

    You'll have to hunt down printers that have support for these OSs.

    6) Thick paper

    Flatter paper feeds such as the top in, bottom out feeds of some
    Canon and Epson printers are better than HP and some Canon U-feed
    designs. These can definitely jam up on thicker paper, or not feed at all.

    7) double-sided

    Here, only a few printers from Canon and HP have auto-double-sided
    printing

    8) flash card slot

    Only a few from each maker have these to print directly from digital
    camera flash cards

    9) scanning?

    Only a few from each maker can print photo prints, scan/copy in
    color, and even fewer still (like the Epsons) have built-in scan
    directly to flash cards w/o a PC, or scanning of 35mm films.

    R500/600 series from Epson are examples of some that have a truck
    load of these nice features.

    10) n-up on one page support, borderless printing, etc.

    A lot of other features are only available on some makes and models,
    such as poster printing, n-up on one page printing, manual double-sided
    printing, etc, etc.

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:00:18 -0700, Lady Margaret Thatcher
    <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote:

    >On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:09:47 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
    ><geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Burt wrote:
    >>
    >[snip]
    >

    >>I just upgraded from the i950 to the iP8500, and what a printer! To die
    >>for! Eight colors, and brilliant, accurate color in the prints.
    >>Astounding. Individually replaceable, including the print head.
    >
    >Do you mean that each color has a separate print head?
    >
    >>Automatic print head alignment. Connects to a camera. Two paper feed
    >>sources. Printer profiles in the drivers.
    >
    >CD printing?
    >
    >Dye-based inks?
    >>
    >>Gary Eickmeier

    And Print heads that don't last or the Prints..

    You are Joking..

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:30:57 +1200, CSE <cse@noware.comn>
    wrote:

    >>On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:09:47 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
    >><geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

    >>>Burt wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I just upgraded from the i950 to the iP8500, and what a printer! To die
    >>>for! Eight colors, and brilliant, accurate color in the prints.
    >>>Astounding. Individually replaceable, including the print head.

    >And Print heads that don't last or the Prints..
    >
    >You are Joking..

    I'm curious about that..Why do you say the heads don't last?
    Are you saying it's characteristic of Canon, or of that particular
    model?

    _R wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:30:57 +1200, CSE <cse@noware.comn>
    >wrote:

    >>And Print heads that don't last or the Prints..
    >>
    >>You are Joking..
    >>

    >I'm curious about that..Why do you say the heads don't last?
    >Are you saying it's characteristic of Canon, or of that particular
    >model?

    I have not found any of this to be true. Maybe these people are using
    some crummy after market ink. Who knows. I have a Pixma printer since
    last October and have had no problems at all. I do not print a great
    deal since I have another printer that I use more for business
    documents. I did use a set of the all of the colors.

    You made a great choice.

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:32:45 -0400, _R <_R@nomail.org> wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:30:57 +1200, CSE <cse@noware.comn>
    >wrote:

    >>And Print heads that don't last or the Prints..
    >>
    >>You are Joking..
    >
    >I'm curious about that..Why do you say the heads don't last?
    >Are you saying it's characteristic of Canon, or of that particular
    >model?

    It's characteristic of Canon. On Epson's the problem can be clogging.
    On Canon's the print head burns out. Of course, in both cases, it
    depends how much you use it.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 05:21:25 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I have not found any of this to be true. Maybe these people are using
    >some crummy after market ink. Who knows. I have a Pixma printer since
    >last October and have had no problems at all. I do not print a great
    >deal since I have another printer that I use more for business
    >documents. I did use a set of the all of the colors.
    >
    >You made a great choice.

    Oh wow, a whole 6 months and the print head hasn't burnt out.

    Of course it hasn't, even bloody Lexmarks still work after 6 months
    (after a fashion).

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    > Low cost and doesn't clog. Buy HP. The cartridges cost more but
    > they're generally bulletproof for low cost, low volume printing.

    General concurrence with this thought.

    One caveat: HP install/uninstall software, in my experience,
    sometimes fails. And sometimes their drivers are
    buggy. In both regards, much more so than Canons, Epsons,
    or Lexmarks. One can generally work around those issues,
    but they do exist.

    -- stan

    Sorry to break this to you Bob, but just like how HP paid Spencer Lab
    to post "favorable" results for them, here too HP was the only entrant
    in all categories except for the 9 inches to 17 inches wide.

    Great post, David. The reality is that all brands of inkjet printers (and
    all devices in general) have pros and cons. No device lasts for ever, and
    each has its own way of self destructing. Whatever printer one purchases,
    it is a good idea to become more educated through reading of newsgroups and
    forums to learn about alternate inks and papers, trouble shooting and
    simple fixes. For instance, there are ways of clearing head clogs that will
    help forestall a new printer purchase when an old one doesn't print well.
    The most comprehensive place for finding information on printer maintenance
    would be Arthur Entlich for Epson at www.artistic@telus.net (when
    requested, he will email you his instructions on diagnosing and clearing
    Epson print head clogs) and Neil Slade's site at

    measekite wrote:

    > And Duplex Printing too.
    >
    > Try Canon OEM ink with either Canon Photo Paper Pro or Costco/Kirkland
    > Glossy Paper. You made a great choice.

    I love the way the ink cartridges snap in so easily, and the software
    tells you when they are short and running out. The auto head alignment
    is a bonus I didn't even know about.

    I have found that the Canons will print on most anything, but the Epson
    and Canon papers are particularly compatible, and the best. Fun
    experimenting with a lot of different surfaces.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >> And Duplex Printing too.
    >>
    >> Try Canon OEM ink with either Canon Photo Paper Pro or
    >> Costco/Kirkland Glossy Paper. You made a great choice.
    >

    > I love the way the ink cartridges snap in so easily, and the software
    > tells you when they are short and running out. The auto head alignment
    > is a bonus I didn't even know about.
    >
    > I have found that the Canons will print on most anything, but the
    > Epson and Canon papers are particularly compatible, and the best. Fun
    > experimenting with a lot of different surfaces.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    I have not tried Epson paper but Canon Tech Support does say they will
    work well in a Canon. While Canon Photo Paper Pro is the very best I
    tried, Costco/Kirkland Glossy paper is so very close. To compare 4x6
    prices the Canon is 29 cents and the Costco/Kirkland (cut from an 8.5x11
    sheet) is 4 cents. Based on the economics and almost no difference in
    quality I am now using the Kirkland paper.

    measekite wrote:

    > I have not tried Epson paper but Canon Tech Support does say they will
    > work well in a Canon. While Canon Photo Paper Pro is the very best I
    > tried, Costco/Kirkland Glossy paper is so very close. To compare 4x6
    > prices the Canon is 29 cents and the Costco/Kirkland (cut from an 8.5x11
    > sheet) is 4 cents. Based on the economics and almost no difference in
    > quality I am now using the Kirkland paper.

    You mean you're buying 8.5x11 paper and cutting it yourself? What a pain
    - what cutter can do this so well?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >> I have not tried Epson paper but Canon Tech Support does say they will
    >> work well in a Canon. While Canon Photo Paper Pro is the very best I
    >> tried, Costco/Kirkland Glossy paper is so very close. To compare 4x6
    >> prices the Canon is 29 cents and the Costco/Kirkland (cut from an
    >> 8.5x11 sheet) is 4 cents. Based on the economics and almost no
    >> difference in quality I am now using the Kirkland paper.
    >

    > You mean you're buying 8.5x11 paper and cutting it yourself? What a pain
    > - what cutter can do this so well?

    I use an even more archaic method . . .

    I use the same full page size sheets too. Like everything else
    associated with printing, you don't need an expensive "OEM" cutter.
    I use a mini "exacta" type knife cheap dollar store refill blades.

    With a metal ruler and a scrap photo as a template, it takes but a few
    seconds to cut a 4x6, or what have you. Tip: Use the small exacta, don't
    press hard on the knife, it'll leave a ridge. Don't rush it, make a few
    gentle passes with the blade before cutting through.

    While the first photo is printing (it takes about 4 minutes on my
    iP5000 at 9600 dpi) i've cut up most of the sheets I plan to use. Then
    if I'm pressed for time I can use both printers simultaneously to run
    off the photos. I get the job done efficiently (assembly line method),
    affordably (non OEM inks, paper and blades) and with little wasted time
    (two printers). Works great for me.

    -Taliesyn

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >> I have not tried Epson paper but Canon Tech Support does say they
    >> will work well in a Canon. While Canon Photo Paper Pro is the very
    >> best I tried, Costco/Kirkland Glossy paper is so very close. To
    >> compare 4x6 prices the Canon is 29 cents and the Costco/Kirkland (cut
    >> from an 8.5x11 sheet) is 4 cents. Based on the economics and almost
    >> no difference in quality I am now using the Kirkland paper.
    >

    > You mean you're buying 8.5x11 paper and cutting it yourself? What a
    > pain - what cutter can do this so well?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    I do not mind. I purchased an inexpensive Fiskars Branded rotary paper
    cutter that I purchased at Costco for $29.00/ It works very well. I
    cut the sheet with the glossy side up. I either get 2 4x6 and a 5x7 or
    3 4x6 depending on my needs. I cut 10 sheets at a time that gives me 30
    blanks. I never timed myself but it is around 15 minutes. I never cut
    more than one sheet at a time even though the cutter specifications
    provides for more. Try it and see what you think. The paper is great
    and I do not have to worry that it will do any damage to my printer.

    Taliesyn wrote:

    > I use an even more archaic method . . .
    >
    > I use the same full page size sheets too. Like everything else
    > associated with printing, you don't need an expensive "OEM" cutter.
    > I use a mini "exacta" type knife cheap dollar store refill blades.
    >
    > With a metal ruler and a scrap photo as a template, it takes but a few
    > seconds to cut a 4x6, or what have you. Tip: Use the small exacta, don't
    > press hard on the knife, it'll leave a ridge. Don't rush it, make a few
    > gentle passes with the blade before cutting through.
    >
    > While the first photo is printing (it takes about 4 minutes on my
    > iP5000 at 9600 dpi) i've cut up most of the sheets I plan to use. Then
    > if I'm pressed for time I can use both printers simultaneously to run
    > off the photos. I get the job done efficiently (assembly line method),
    > affordably (non OEM inks, paper and blades) and with little wasted time
    > (two printers). Works great for me.
    >
    > -Taliesyn

    I just haven't found a good cutter that doesn't turn the paper as it
    cuts, making for a curved or angled side rather than ruler straight.
    Your method may do it straighter, but seems to be more trouble.

    Have you tried printing (a four-shot) first, then cutting?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > Taliesyn wrote:
    >
    >> I use an even more archaic method . . .
    >>
    >> I use the same full page size sheets too. Like everything else
    >> associated with printing, you don't need an expensive "OEM" cutter.
    >> I use a mini "exacta" type knife cheap dollar store refill blades.
    >>
    >> With a metal ruler and a scrap photo as a template, it takes but a few
    >> seconds to cut a 4x6, or what have you. Tip: Use the small exacta, don't
    >> press hard on the knife, it'll leave a ridge. Don't rush it, make a few
    >> gentle passes with the blade before cutting through.
    >>
    >> While the first photo is printing (it takes about 4 minutes on my
    >> iP5000 at 9600 dpi) i've cut up most of the sheets I plan to use. Then
    >> if I'm pressed for time I can use both printers simultaneously to run
    >> off the photos. I get the job done efficiently (assembly line method),
    >> affordably (non OEM inks, paper and blades) and with little wasted time
    >> (two printers). Works great for me.
    >>
    >> -Taliesyn
    >

    > I just haven't found a good cutter that doesn't turn the paper as it
    > cuts, making for a curved or angled side rather than ruler straight.
    > Your method may do it straighter, but seems to be more trouble.

    Yes, most people won't go for a method that involves a lot of
    manipulations. It doesn't bother me the least bit. I like the fact
    that I get a new, razor sharp blade every time I use it, simply by
    breaking off a blade segment.

    > Have you tried printing (a four-shot) first, then cutting?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    No, I set up my printer software, Serif PagePlus, for one photo at a
    time. I've made three separate setups: 4x6, 5x7, and a shared
    8x10/8.5x11. The simple 4x6 setup, for example, has 4 red layout
    lines that always stay visible on top - any photo will always be behind
    the red layout lines. Then I just bring in a photo and stretch and
    compose to fit and suit my fancy. The printed area will only be that
    which is within the red layout lines. Any overlapping excess will not
    print because the document page size is also set to 4x6. Anyway, that's
    the reason I can't print 4 on one page, I'm using a single setup.
    Putting 4 on a page would also make them an off-standard size, no? I'm
    only paying about 7 cents (Canadian) for a 4x6 sheet using Costco
    Kirkland Paper. So I see no real economical gain by cramming 4 photos
    on a sheet.

    -Taliesyn
  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Taliesyn wrote:

    > Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >

    >> measekite wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have not tried Epson paper but Canon Tech Support does say they
    >>> will work well in a Canon. While Canon Photo Paper Pro is the very
    >>> best I tried, Costco/Kirkland Glossy paper is so very close. To
    >>> compare 4x6 prices the Canon is 29 cents and the Costco/Kirkland
    >>> (cut from an 8.5x11 sheet) is 4 cents. Based on the economics and
    >>> almost no difference in quality I am now using the Kirkland paper.
    >>

    >> You mean you're buying 8.5x11 paper and cutting it yourself? What a
    >> pain - what cutter can do this so well?
    >>

    > I use an even more archaic method . . .
    >
    > I use the same full page size sheets too. Like everything else
    > associated with printing, you don't need an expensive "OEM" cutter.
    > I use a mini "exacta" type knife cheap dollar store refill blades.
    >
    > With a metal ruler and a scrap photo as a template, it takes but a few
    > seconds to cut a 4x6, or what have you. Tip: Use the small exacta, don't
    > press hard on the knife, it'll leave a ridge. Don't rush it, make a few
    > gentle passes with the blade before cutting through.
    >
    > While the first photo is printing (it takes about 4 minutes on my
    > iP5000 at 9600 dpi) i've cut up most of the sheets I plan to use. Then
    > if I'm pressed for time I can use both printers simultaneously to run
    > off the photos. I get the job done efficiently (assembly line method),
    > affordably (non OEM inks, paper and blades) and with little wasted time
    > (two printers). Works great for me.
    >
    > -Taliesyn

    I did that before getting a Fiskars. It was a pain in the ass. $30 is
    cheap for a little convenience.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > Taliesyn wrote:
    >
    >> I use an even more archaic method . . .
    >>
    >> I use the same full page size sheets too. Like everything else
    >> associated with printing, you don't need an expensive "OEM" cutter.
    >> I use a mini "exacta" type knife cheap dollar store refill blades.
    >>
    >> With a metal ruler and a scrap photo as a template, it takes but a few
    >> seconds to cut a 4x6, or what have you. Tip: Use the small exacta, don't
    >> press hard on the knife, it'll leave a ridge. Don't rush it, make a few
    >> gentle passes with the blade before cutting through.
    >>
    >> While the first photo is printing (it takes about 4 minutes on my
    >> iP5000 at 9600 dpi) i've cut up most of the sheets I plan to use. Then
    >> if I'm pressed for time I can use both printers simultaneously to run
    >> off the photos. I get the job done efficiently (assembly line method),
    >> affordably (non OEM inks, paper and blades) and with little wasted time
    >> (two printers). Works great for me.
    >>
    >> -Taliesyn
    >

    > I just haven't found a good cutter that doesn't turn the paper as it
    > cuts, making for a curved or angled side rather than ruler straight.
    > Your method may do it straighter, but seems to be more trouble.
    >
    > Have you tried printing (a four-shot) first, then cutting?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    I use the Fiskars to cut single sheets. They make a special model for
    Costco with the Fiskars name on it. It is the same mechanical but has a
    nicer appearance with an aluminum bed that is ruled in black. After you
    place the paper on the bed where you want it close the locking lever.
    It is still a good idea to hold with a clean hand but the locking bar
    does hold the paper securely.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I have a guillotine type paper cutter left over from my darkroom days. It
    must be 40 years old! It has an adjustable paper guide on it that permits
    lining up the paper for each cut extremely easily. before I had the canon
    i960 which does borderless prints, I experimented with printing three on a
    page and then cutting them apart. One had to be much more careful with
    aligning the paper on the cutter, and there is no guide that showed the
    exact line of the cut. I had to kind of eyeball it. Much easier with the
    paper guide set to cut a whole box of paper into 4x6's at one time while
    watching some dumb tv or news program. My paper cutter, unfortunately, is
    not the most expensive or most accurate, so it doesn't quite cut the most
    accurate right angle. It is so close, however, that the prints look great.
    You would have to use a drafting triangle or other instrument to see the
    inaccuracy. I do use the steel straight edge technique and knife (utility
    knife with new blade and cutting against a piece of plywood scrap from my
    workshop) for trimming the edges from larger prints.

    "Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >> I have not tried Epson paper but Canon Tech Support does say they will
    >> work well in a Canon. While Canon Photo Paper Pro is the very best I
    >> tried, Costco/Kirkland Glossy paper is so very close. To compare 4x6
    >> prices the Canon is 29 cents and the Costco/Kirkland (cut from an 8.5x11
    >> sheet) is 4 cents. Based on the economics and almost no difference in
    >> quality I am now using the Kirkland paper.
    >
    > You mean you're buying 8.5x11 paper and cutting it yourself? What a pain -
    > what cutter can do this so well?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier
  28. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    The Fiskars rotary cutter is quite accurate. It also has the advantage of
    using optional wheels for scoring and perforating. I even used one at my
    last print shop for low volume perf and score jobs when the setup of my
    bigger equipment would take too much time. You can get them at Sam's Club or
    Office Depot for less than $50 (12" model) and if you have a Michaels store
    nearby, they are even less expensive (especially with the weekly 40% off
    coupon). It is just one of many photo trimmers on the market, but is a cost
    effective one. I also use an inexpensive Boston guillotine cutter and it
    does a good job. The key to getting consistent cuts with either trimmer is
    to use a stop block so that each sheet is positioned exactly in the same
    spot. A small piece of chipboard taped to the cutter bed works fine. Try
    using a couple of sheets of scrap paper to get a better cutting surface and
    that will help reduce the problem of paper skew. If I really want to save
    time, I'll take a couple of boxes of paper to my old print shop and use the
    hydraulic cutter.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    > Taliesyn wrote:
    >
    >> I use an even more archaic method . . .
    >>
    >> I use the same full page size sheets too. Like everything else
    >> associated with printing, you don't need an expensive "OEM" cutter.
    >> I use a mini "exacta" type knife cheap dollar store refill blades.
    >>
    >> With a metal ruler and a scrap photo as a template, it takes but a few
    >> seconds to cut a 4x6, or what have you. Tip: Use the small exacta, don't
    >> press hard on the knife, it'll leave a ridge. Don't rush it, make a few
    >> gentle passes with the blade before cutting through.
    >>
    >> While the first photo is printing (it takes about 4 minutes on my
    >> iP5000 at 9600 dpi) i've cut up most of the sheets I plan to use. Then
    >> if I'm pressed for time I can use both printers simultaneously to run
    >> off the photos. I get the job done efficiently (assembly line method),
    >> affordably (non OEM inks, paper and blades) and with little wasted time
    >> (two printers). Works great for me.
    >>
    >> -Taliesyn
    >
    > I just haven't found a good cutter that doesn't turn the paper as it cuts,
    > making for a curved or angled side rather than ruler straight. Your method
    > may do it straighter, but seems to be more trouble.
    >
    > Have you tried printing (a four-shot) first, then cutting?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier
  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    A rotary paper cutter is the safest and easiest to use. I bought the
    Fiskars at Costco for $29.00. At the same price Staples is selling the
    Carl. I like the Fiskars sold at Costco because it is black ruled
    against an aluminum bed and has a locking bar to hold the paper in place.

    I also have and never use guillotine cutter as I felt $29.00 is worth
    the accuracy and ease of use.

    Of course when I get a wide bed printer I will need to get a much more
    expensive one that will do over 20 inches.

    Burt wrote:

    >I have a guillotine type paper cutter left over from my darkroom days. It
    >must be 40 years old! It has an adjustable paper guide on it that permits
    >lining up the paper for each cut extremely easily. before I had the canon
    >i960 which does borderless prints, I experimented with printing three on a
    >page and then cutting them apart. One had to be much more careful with
    >aligning the paper on the cutter, and there is no guide that showed the
    >exact line of the cut. I had to kind of eyeball it. Much easier with the
    >paper guide set to cut a whole box of paper into 4x6's at one time while
    >watching some dumb tv or news program. My paper cutter, unfortunately, is
    >not the most expensive or most accurate, so it doesn't quite cut the most
    >accurate right angle. It is so close, however, that the prints look great.
    >You would have to use a drafting triangle or other instrument to see the
    >inaccuracy. I do use the steel straight edge technique and knife (utility
    >knife with new blade and cutting against a piece of plywood scrap from my
    >workshop) for trimming the edges from larger prints.
    >
    >"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>measekite wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have not tried Epson paper but Canon Tech Support does say they will
    >>>work well in a Canon. While Canon Photo Paper Pro is the very best I
    >>>tried, Costco/Kirkland Glossy paper is so very close. To compare 4x6
    >>>prices the Canon is 29 cents and the Costco/Kirkland (cut from an 8.5x11
    >>>sheet) is 4 cents. Based on the economics and almost no difference in
    >>>quality I am now using the Kirkland paper.
    >>>

    >>You mean you're buying 8.5x11 paper and cutting it yourself? What a pain -
    >>what cutter can do this so well?
    >>
    >>Gary Eickmeier

  30. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Ron Cohen wrote:

    >The Fiskars rotary cutter is quite accurate. It also has the advantage of
    >using optional wheels for scoring and perforating. I even used one at my
    >last print shop for low volume perf and score jobs when the setup of my
    >bigger equipment would take too much time. You can get them at Sam's Club or
    >Office Depot for less than $50 (12" model)

    Costco for $29.00

    >and if you have a Michaels store
    >nearby, they are even less expensive (especially with the weekly 40% off
    >coupon). It is just one of many photo trimmers on the market, but is a cost
    >effective one. I also use an inexpensive Boston guillotine cutter and it
    >does a good job. The key to getting consistent cuts with either trimmer is
    >to use a stop block so that each sheet is positioned exactly in the same
    >spot. A small piece of chipboard taped to the cutter bed works fine. Try
    >using a couple of sheets of scrap paper to get a better cutting surface and
    >that will help reduce the problem of paper skew. If I really want to save
    >time, I'll take a couple of boxes of paper to my old print shop and use the
    >hydraulic cutter.

  31. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > I do not mind. I purchased an inexpensive Fiskars Branded rotary paper
    > cutter that I purchased at Costco for $29.00/ It works very well. I
    > cut the sheet with the glossy side up. I either get 2 4x6 and a 5x7 or

    even better was when HP was mailing out their wide-format inkjet
    glossy paper samples years ago - take those huge multi-foot square rolls
    and cut them up to size! Took forever, but heck, free inkjet paper to
    last a lifetime!
  32. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    speed & pressure are the key to a straighter cut for me on my rotary.

    Basically, faster you go, the straighter the cut - paper doesn't have
    time to curl back up.
    Pressure is key to keeping the paper aligned - so press hard enough to
    hold the paper in place.

    ----

    Otherwise, you'd have to go with a commerical cutter ala Kinkos
  33. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite (measekite@yahoo.com) writes:
    > Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >

    >> measekite wrote:
    >>
    >>> And Duplex Printing too.
    >>>
    >>> Try Canon OEM ink with either Canon Photo Paper Pro or
    >>> Costco/Kirkland Glossy Paper. You made a great choice.
    >>

    >> I love the way the ink cartridges snap in so easily, and the software
    >> tells you when they are short and running out. The auto head alignment
    >> is a bonus I didn't even know about.
    >>
    >> I have found that the Canons will print on most anything, but the
    >> Epson and Canon papers are particularly compatible, and the best. Fun
    >> experimenting with a lot of different surfaces.
    >>
    >> Gary Eickmeier
    >

    > I have not tried Epson paper but Canon Tech Support does say they will
    > work well in a Canon. While Canon Photo Paper Pro is the very best I
    > tried, Costco/Kirkland Glossy paper is so very close. To compare 4x6
    > prices the Canon is 29 cents and the Costco/Kirkland (cut from an 8.5x11
    > sheet) is 4 cents. Based on the economics and almost no difference in
    > quality I am now using the Kirkland paper.

    The Costco/Kirkland paper works fine also with Epson printers - almost
    as good as Epson brands and quite cheaper.

    Pavel
  34. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    When Costco sold Epson Glossy photo paper ($20 for 120 sheets), I used it
    for all my glossy photo printing in my Canon I960. Costco subsequently
    stopped selling it and has their own brand, Kirkland, which produces equally
    fine prints with a smoother, glossier surface. The Epson Glossy paper has
    one benefit that the Kirkland lacks - you can print or write on the back.
    Although the back has a very faint epson logo printed in a repeat pattern, I
    have used this paper for two sided printing for holiday greeting cards.
    When OfficMax has it on sale as a two-for-one I buy a few packages to keep
    on hand for that purpose. No one seems to notice the logo on the back as it
    is so faint. Epson double sided Matte paper works extremely well with Canon
    printers as well. It is reasonably heavy stock and prints well on both
    sides. It is also useful for printing greeting cards on both sides. Photos
    have a more vivid appearance on the glossy paper, but both papers perform
    well.

    BTW, I noticed that the response to your email included a reference to OEM
    inks. You will notice several posts on this NG about OEM vs. non-OEM inks
    and you will see several people, myself included, who have used non-OEM inks
    very successfully in contrast to one person who does not use it but
    discourages people from doing so. In my Canon printer selected non-OEM inks
    have performed every bit as well as Canon OEM inks with no clogging or any
    other problems. It is, however, important to avoid poor quality inks. If
    you are interested I would suggest that you read all the posts referring to
    this issue in this newsgroup. I don't wish to get back into arguing about
    inks on the newsgoup. Everything that could be said HAS been said! If you
    would like more information you can take the nospam out of my email address
    and send me any questions you have. Just mention "newsgoup response" and I
    will be glad to give you some references for more information.

    "Pavel Dvorak" <ah772@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

    > measekite (measekite@yahoo.com) writes:
    >> Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    >>> I love the way the ink cartridges snap in so easily, and the software
    >>> tells you when they are short and running out. The auto head alignment
    >>> is a bonus I didn't even know about.
    >>>
    >>> I have found that the Canons will print on most anything, but the
    >>> Epson and Canon papers are particularly compatible, and the best. Fun
    >>> experimenting with a lot of different surfaces.
    >>>
    >>> Gary Eickmeier
    >>

    >> I have not tried Epson paper but Canon Tech Support does say they will
    >> work well in a Canon. While Canon Photo Paper Pro is the very best I
    >> tried, Costco/Kirkland Glossy paper is so very close. To compare 4x6
    >> prices the Canon is 29 cents and the Costco/Kirkland (cut from an 8.5x11
    >> sheet) is 4 cents. Based on the economics and almost no difference in
    >> quality I am now using the Kirkland paper.
    >
    > The Costco/Kirkland paper works fine also with Epson printers - almost
    > as good as Epson brands and quite cheaper.
    >
    > Pavel

Printers Photo Cameras Peripherals