Shall i get a AMD2 Motherboard/CPU?

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Ok a few questions on CPU

1.After reading all the posts im still confused, now i normally hear AMD have better performance on games, but then i was told Intels Duel Core Proccessor is better then AMD 2

2. I was originally looking at AMD2's 3800 Duel Core which retails at around £170 - £200, is this a good processor, is it good for gaming, and is it good value for money?

3. i saw a £90-£100 Intel Duel Core recently, is this better then the AMD2 3800, which of the two will run at higher level for longer (not overclocked)

4. What is this Conrow thing that everyone talking about? is it a new range of Intel Chip,

thanks

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
after the price cut whos cpus are better value for money, also to my knowledge AMD 3800x2 doest use DDR2, is this a big disadvantage

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
If you're buying a system, you can probably get a system with Core 2 around the middle of August, if you order as soon as they are offered. If you want to build you may be waiting longer for it.

If you want something now AM2 is much better than the current Intels. In a few weeks when Core 2 is launched the prices will drop on AM2 so a 4000+ maybe the current price of the 3800+, maybe even the 4200+.

The mobos will be cheaper and AM2 will get at least 2 upgrades before the next Intel upgrade - clockspeed will increase but Core 2 has a finite limit of about 3.8GHz on air cooling. That will equal a 6GHz P4 or a 5GHz K8, but Rev G should add some headroom and maybe some features and dual core K8L is due the middle of next year. These will both be supported by AM2.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
how about the fact that AMD2 i a new motherboard ect, does this mean in feature it will be easier to upgrade?

as intel will proberly bring out a new motherboard soon?

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
how about the fact that AMD2 i a new motherboard ect, does this mean in feature it will be easier to upgrade?
Exactly; you'll have a stable upgrade path for at least a year or two, if not longer.

Intel should be bringing out new motherboards based around their 965 series chipset a month or two after Conroe is released.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

if you want a cheap drop in replacement for a 939 system, the 4200+ is a better choice. If you want to buy a new system (mobo, RAM, CPU) waiting for Core 2 would be worth it, since in 2-3 months you could buy a cheaper mobo. The RAM price will be the same now that AMD uses DDR2. I just can't say when Core 2 (Cornrow or whatever) will be available in the retail market. It is faster.

pat

Expert
Ok a few questions on CPU

The following article should help:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/intel-conroe-2-13-ghz.html

It compares the Conroe E6700 and E6400 against the the AMD FX-60 & FX-62. The Athlon FX are very expensive CPUs for the enthusiats, they can be had for around $800 and $1200 respectively.

The E6700 is the second fastest Conroe CPU. The X6800 is the fastest. The E6400 is the second slowest Conroe duo core that will be available for sale.

Some people may consider the data to be preliminary since Conroe is not on sale yet. But it is just one of many independent sites that have posted Conroe benchmarks recently. You can do a Google search for others.

AMD will but cutting prices on the Athlons on July 24th to compete against Conroe on price. However, a socket AM2 and socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 CPU of the same model (i.e. AM2 X2 3800+, and S939 X2 3800+) basically performs the same. AMD has stated this several times, yet some people thought an AM2 CPU would be faster than a S939 CPU (of the same model). They were mistaken because they simply thought anything new would be faster and didn't bother to read any benchmark reviews.

I did see a review somewhere that showed an AM2 Athlon can be faster than a S939 Athlon if you use DDR2 800 RAM which is more expensive than DDR2 667 RAM or the regular DDR 400 RAM for S939. The various benchmarks that they uses showed a peformance gain of 0% - 6% with an average 3% performance gain. Also take into consideration that as with any test there is a 2% or 3% for margin of error which can erase any performance gains. If I can find the article I will post it.

Conroe represent an all new approach to CPU design by Intel. They have more or less abandoned pure speed in favor of a more efficinent design. This is similar to what AMD has done several years ago when they first introduced the original Athlon. Gone are the days of hot and fast CPUs. Conroe will be on average about as "cool running" as today's Athlon 64s. Taking a page from AMD's book, Conroe will be running slower than the Pentium 4. The slowest Conroe, E6300, will be clocked at about 2.13GHz, the fastest Conroe, X6800, will be clocked at 2.93GHz.

One important distinction between Conroe and other CPUs, including the AMD Athlon 64 X2, is the fact that it can run or execute 4 instructions at the same time rather than just 3. Simply stated, if you are printing a 100 page Word document which would you rather choose? Printer #1 that can print 10 pages per minute? Or Printer #2 than can print 14 pages per minute? This is over simplifying things, but the benchmarks between Conroe and Athlon 64 X2 speaks for themselves.

If you cannot wait, then get either an AM2 or S939 Athlon 64 X2. Basically there are no performance difference. Since S939 motherboards have been around for a while most of the bugs have been fixed and those mobos should be very stable. AM2 motherboards are new which means those mobos can be somewhat unstable. There have been many posts that has stated AM2 mobo are very picky about which brandname of RAM can be used.

If you do not plan on upgrading the CPU for three or more years then getting a S939 Athlon 64 may make sense since there is basically no performance difference with a similar AM2 CPU and the mobos are more or less stable. After three years you may want to replace all or most of your hardware anyway. If you plan on upgrading the CPU within 3 years to a X2 5000+ or faster (or AMD's next generation CPU the K8L) then it makes sense to buy an AM2 Athlon 64.

However, if peformance is what you want and you can wait until August, then Conroe is worth considering.