Domain Controller Disk Partitions

Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a c:
and d: partition? thanks in advance

You will definitely need at least two partitions, maybe more depending on
your number of hard drives. It is recommended that at a minimum you keep the
sysvol folder on a separate partition, preferably on a separate physical
drive. The AD database itself and the log files can also be separated if you
have enough disks.

"panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
> controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a c:
> and d: partition? thanks in advance

thanks Simon, we have two physical disks - so a good configuration might be
to have a c: and d: partition on one disk with sysvol on d: and setup raid1
mirror to the other disk. would you agree

"Simon Geary" wrote:

> You will definitely need at least two partitions, maybe more depending on
> your number of hard drives. It is recommended that at a minimum you keep the
> sysvol folder on a separate partition, preferably on a separate physical
> drive. The AD database itself and the log files can also be separated if you
> have enough disks.
>
> "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
> > controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a c:
> > and d: partition? thanks in advance

If you thinking about Perf gains you won't get anything useful unless you
have separate spindles.

Regards,
/Jimmy
--
Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

"panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
> controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a c:
> and d: partition? thanks in advance

we are not so concenred with performance at this stage just putting together
a recommend dc spec for our sites, we have two pysical scsi disks and raid1,
I think we will go with a c: partition of 7-10GB and the remainder of the
disk approx 20GB to d: with sysvol moved to d:

"Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:

> If you thinking about Perf gains you won't get anything useful unless you
> have separate spindles.
>
> Regards,
> /Jimmy
> --
> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>

> "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
> > controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a c:
> > and d: partition? thanks in advance

I recommend you to place the SYSVOL share at the operative system drive, and
place the database and the transaction logfiles on the separate drive
instead.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> we are not so concenred with performance at this stage just putting
> together
> a recommend dc spec for our sites, we have two pysical scsi disks and
> raid1,
> I think we will go with a c: partition of 7-10GB and the remainder of the
> disk approx 20GB to d: with sysvol moved to d:
>

> "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If you thinking about Perf gains you won't get anything useful unless you
>> have separate spindles.
>>
>> Regards,
>> /Jimmy
>> --
>> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
>>

>> "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
>> > controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a
>> > c:
>> > and d: partition? thanks in advance

Chriss is this purely for performance? using both drives will leave us
nothing for redundancy due to hardware failure.

thanks