Domain Controller Disk Partitions

Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a c:
and d: partition? thanks in advance
6 answers Last reply
More about domain controller disk partitions

    You will definitely need at least two partitions, maybe more depending on
    your number of hard drives. It is recommended that at a minimum you keep the
    sysvol folder on a separate partition, preferably on a separate physical
    drive. The AD database itself and the log files can also be separated if you
    have enough disks.

    "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
    > controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a c:
    > and d: partition? thanks in advance

    thanks Simon, we have two physical disks - so a good configuration might be
    to have a c: and d: partition on one disk with sysvol on d: and setup raid1
    mirror to the other disk. would you agree

    "Simon Geary" wrote:

    > You will definitely need at least two partitions, maybe more depending on
    > your number of hard drives. It is recommended that at a minimum you keep the
    > sysvol folder on a separate partition, preferably on a separate physical
    > drive. The AD database itself and the log files can also be separated if you
    > have enough disks.
    >
    > "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
    > > controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a c:
    > > and d: partition? thanks in advance

    If you thinking about Perf gains you won't get anything useful unless you
    have separate spindles.

    Regards,
    /Jimmy
    --
    Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

    "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
    > controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a c:
    > and d: partition? thanks in advance

    we are not so concenred with performance at this stage just putting together
    a recommend dc spec for our sites, we have two pysical scsi disks and raid1,
    I think we will go with a c: partition of 7-10GB and the remainder of the
    disk approx 20GB to d: with sysvol moved to d:

    "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:

    > If you thinking about Perf gains you won't get anything useful unless you
    > have separate spindles.
    >
    > Regards,
    > /Jimmy
    > --
    > Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
    >

    > "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
    > > controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a c:
    > > and d: partition? thanks in advance

    I recommend you to place the SYSVOL share at the operative system drive, and
    place the database and the transaction logfiles on the separate drive
    instead.

    --
    Regards
    Christoffer Andersson

    "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > we are not so concenred with performance at this stage just putting
    > together
    > a recommend dc spec for our sites, we have two pysical scsi disks and
    > raid1,
    > I think we will go with a c: partition of 7-10GB and the remainder of the
    > disk approx 20GB to d: with sysvol moved to d:
    >

    > "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> If you thinking about Perf gains you won't get anything useful unless you
    >> have separate spindles.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> /Jimmy
    >> --
    >> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
    >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
    >>

    >> "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there any need to have more than one disk partition for a domain
    >> > controller, ie: should we use the entire disk as c: or should we have a
    >> > c:
    >> > and d: partition? thanks in advance

    Chriss is this purely for performance? using both drives will leave us
    nothing for redundancy due to hardware failure.

    thanks

    "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:

    > I recommend you to place the SYSVOL share at the operative system drive, and
    > place the database and the transaction logfiles on the separate drive
    > instead.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Christoffer Andersson
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >
    > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    >
    > "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > > we are not so concenred with performance at this stage just putting
    > > together
    > > a recommend dc spec for our sites, we have two pysical scsi disks and
    > > raid1,
    > > I think we will go with a c: partition of 7-10GB and the remainder of the
    > > disk approx 20GB to d: with sysvol moved to d:
    > >

    > > "Jimmy Andersson [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you thinking about Perf gains you won't get anything useful unless you
    > >> have separate spindles.
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >> /Jimmy
    > >> --
    > >> Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
    > >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > >> ---------- www.qadvice.com ----------
    > >>

    > >> "panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Partition Domain Controller Active Directory Windows